The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm X-T1 vs. Leica T

Double Negative

Not Available
FWIW, I just finished writing up an article comparing the X-T1 with the Leica T, especially how it relates to shooting M lenses with it (which will be expanded in a future article):

Feedback, comments, suggestions, etc. are very much welcome. Enjoy! :)

douglasf13

FWIW, I just finished writing up an article comparing the X-T1 with the Leica T, especially how it relates to shooting M lenses with it (which will be expanded in a future article):

Feedback, comments, suggestions, etc. are very much welcome. Enjoy! :)
It's pretty cool that Fuji allows for shading, distortion and vignetting correction with adapter M lenses. That being said, the real issue with M lenses, which can't be fixed with software, is corner smearing, and there's been evidence in the past that the X-trans sensor doesn't handle it as well as cameras like the NEX-6, or, even better, the Ricoh GXR. Once you get wider than around 35mm, that may be the limiting factor of using M lenses on the X-T1, so it would be interesting if the Leica T handled it any better.

D&A

Douglas, you're right, corner smearing and color casts is an issue of using M lenses generally wider than 35mm on anything but a M designed body (except of course for the Ricoh GRX. I'd be quite surprised though if Leica didn't address this issue with the "T" when using their M adapter, either in the design of the overlay with microlenses and/or possibly in the cameras firmware (edge/corner color cast) The Leica designed M adapter can read the 6 bit lens coding and I suspect this was done not only for EXIF data recognition of which lens was being used but also firmware corrections. Time will tell.

Dave (D&A)

Paratom

I would prefer the X-T1 user interface by far, but I am not a fan of x-trans sensor and I except the T-system to have somewhat better lenses (maybe ?!).

I wish Leica would bring a T-boy with a hybrid finder ala X-Pro 1 . . . this would be something I would order without having had it in my hands.

Mike Woods

FWIW I've been very impressed with the Zeiss ZM21 f/2.8 on the XT-1; haven't seen any evidence of smearing and it's bitingly sharp.

Mike

Double Negative

Not Available
I think the matter of edge smearing depends greatly on the adapter used. The Fuji adapter is very good and seems to give the best results. The problem with it is, because of the electrical contacts, the throat is narrower than a plain (non-electronic) adapter and therefore cannot be used with every lens.

Which kind of stinks because probably the one lens I wanted to use most (the CV 35mm f/1.2 Nokton) is not compatible. So I'll be trying out a third-party adapter. It seems the Metabones is highly regarded and inexpensive. The Novoflex is especially nice - but also especially expensive! On the plus side, the lens release button doesn't stick out as with the Metabones.

Double Negative

Not Available
Interesting. It seems the in-camera corrections for M lenses only applies when using the Fuji adapter (according to DPR). I'll have to test this.

It also seems that you cannot assign one of the six function buttons to bring up the adapter menu...

All this will be in the report! ;)