The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T1 EVF query when shooting outdoors

Swissblad

Hi fellow Fuji shooters

I have a query regarding the X-T1 EVF, namely when shooting outdoors with loads of bright clouds, snow capped peaks etc, the EVF appears very dark, to the extent that one can barely discern the foreground.

This issue gets even worse when using A exposure and dialling in minus exposure correction.

This facet can be overcome by working in manual, but it is still less than satisfactory.

Does anybody else have this issue….?

Thanks for any help.

Hulyss Bowman

Not really :)

The EVF show the photo in real time. That mean: What you see is what you get.

Try different measures (eval, spot ...) and you will see the changes.

Start in all A mode then change diaph on the lens and compensate with exposure correction.

Swissblad

Thanks Hulyss

I understand it is WYSIWIG ….. but there are timea, when I would just like to see the scene unaltered - like through a SLR OVF.

Perhaps I just need to adapt.

Cheers, S ;)

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Are you wearing glasses with transition lenses? I noticed that these glasses don't work well with EVF, although they are perfectly workable in OVF.

Swissblad

Yes, I'm a eyeglass wearer - but I have hassles even when not using them (with diopter correction dialled in).

I've shown the EVF to colleagues and even they found it dismally dark.. I wonder if I have a bum copy?

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
They shouldn't be. Maybe there is something wrong with your camera. It's time for a cheek up.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Are you wearing glasses with transition lenses? I noticed that these glasses don't work well with EVF, although they are perfectly workable in OVF.
In all seriousness this can be a real issue. I have two pairs of progressive glasses, one with grey transition lenses and the other with clear. The effect in bright sunlight, but also dawn/dusk where there is UV/IR but lower light, can be dramatic enough to make using the EVF difficult.

One thing that I will do is reset the EVF brightness based on the conditions. You can increase the brightness for the LCD/EVF independently but you must be in the right mode to do so. WYSIWYG is certainly the case but you can move the EVF brightness to a higher level if you need to.

Swissblad

Thanks for the tip Graham, but how do you go about
"reset the EVF brightness based on the conditions. You can increase the brightness for the LCD/EVF independently but you must be in the right mode to do so"….
I've already set mine on max.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I usually set my XT1 EVF to +1 or +2 while shooting in bright outdoors light. This is kind of a painful exercise to be repeated al the time and I would prefer an automatic brightness solution as available in the Olympus EM1.

Other than that I am pretty happy with the XT1 EVF. Maybe Fuji can incorporate kind of an automatic brightness control via FW upgrade - hopefully!