The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Fuji X30 - thoughts?

bradhusick

I had the X10 and always loved the "twist to open and turn on" aspect of it. The OVF was very small and nearly useless, so I am glad to see the new EVF. It's hard to judge whether the comparatively small sensor will be good enough without seeing full size images, but I wish they had at least gone to 1" or even larger. You can't really pocket the X30 anyway, so a larger lens wouldn't make that much difference for me.

The new crop of small cameras is so good these days (Sony RX100-III) that it's hard to compete in this category.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's probably a sweet camera that one can take excellent photos with. I expect the ergonomics to be better than with the Sony, not least due to the size. It's a niche market, but I guess the people at Fuji know what to expect from this. Here in Asia, they have a very strong name btw., and they mostly get more exposure than Sony in the camera shops and even in the computer shops.

fordfanjpn

I already found a home for my X20 and I'll be getting the X30 when it comes out later this month. My Fuji family will be: XQ1, X30, X100S and X-T1.

doc4x5

I'm always looking for a really good small camera, smaller than my X T-1, and D800E, and with a better finder than the non-finder on my RX100. I love the image quality of the RX100 but holding it at arms length to photograph is making me slowly come to dislike it. I'm a bit disappointed with Fuji because of the small sensor in the X30. The proof is in the images of course and I'm prepared to eat my words, but their latest cameras show improvements only in the non-image making parts of the camera, eg the better finder and screen in the X100T, and the minimal improvements in the new X T-1.

Lightcraftsman

I'm contemplating buying an X30 as well. I have a Sony RX100, and while I like the image quality the user interface is horrid. I also have a Fuji X-E1, and want to get a camera with the same UI as my X-E1. Switching back and forth confuses me. :D

Seriously, the Sony IQ is very good, but using the camera is frustrating. Now that Fuji has put a top notch EVF on the small X camera i'm ready to buy.

I'm contemplating buying an X30 as well. I have a Sony RX100, and while I like the image quality the user interface is horrid. I also have a Fuji X-E1, and want to get a camera with the same UI as my X-E1. Switching back and forth confuses me. :D

Seriously, the Sony IQ is very good, but using the camera is frustrating. Now that Fuji has put a top notch EVF on the small X camera i'm ready to buy.
That is very interesting for me. I am in the process to decide which camera I shall add as a carry always with me camera. I am torn between RX100 Mk III, X30 or the upcoming Panasonic LX100.

So far it seems that the X30 has a significant inferior IQ than the RX100 (people say on the internet). Images above ISO 400 not usable for prints 20x30cm. I could not test this for myself. What is your first hand view on this?

Lightcraftsman

I've made 40x60cm exhibition quality prints out of my RX100 at its lowest ISO setting. Obviously, I have not been able to test images out of the X30. Might need to rent one before buying,

... 40x60cm exhibition quality prints out of my RX100...
That sounds really good! BUT....

...I have a Sony RX100, and while I like the image quality the user interface is horrid...
...this is what tums me off on the RX100...

Has anybody achieved exhibition quality prints with the Fuji X30 at least up to 20x30cm at ISO100 or 400?