The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro Tubes Arrived

greypilgrim

I got bot the 11mm and 16mm tubes. There was a bit of a deal on them at Amazon for a short time, and I grabbed them both.

The build quality is outstanding. When they are attached, they look and feel like part of the lens.

I have played with them a bot around the house today, but that's it.

They do state that a "malfunction is possible" if they are stacked, but I did try them together with the 55-200, and they seemed to work for that short while.

The 16 is quite happy on my 35. As expected, AF works. It does tend to hunt a bit if you are far from its current focal point depth wise. Once you are in range, it snaps to quite nicely.

It will be interesting to see how the various lenses react IQ wise to them.

Doug

greypilgrim

They are pretty nice. I've tried the 11 with the 10-24 all the way out at 24, and it is a bit tighter that I would like for working distance for a wide angle closeup. I have a 20mm nikkor that I use with a k-1 extension ring, and it gives me a bit more room to play.

With the 35, 56, and the 55-200, they are really nice. I would be tempted to get a 27 just to use with the 11 for that closeup style wide shot.

I also used them with an adapted Tamron 300, but that's no different from using f-mount extension rings on the other side of the adapter.

I did get a body cap and rear cap for each, separately.

Doug

Swissblad

Thanks for the info - I'm think of using it with the 14mm, similar to your Nikon 20mm set up. I'll order the 11mm for a start.

greypilgrim

I haven't tried it yet with my 14. IIRC, the working distance in the manual said something ridiculously small. I'll give it a go tomorrow if I get the chance.

Doug

greypilgrim

I tried it with the 14. The working distance is nothing. You are basically jamming the lens against whatever you are shooting. With a higher f-stop, you do get workable usage with it given the greater DOF, but I think in general it would be annoying to say the least.

I was out shooting a little today. There weren't lots of opportunities for closeups, but I did play with the 35 and the 55-200 again. They both work quite well with the tubes.

I'm thinking the 27 might just fit the bill for what I want to do ultimately in terms of wide closeups.

Doug