The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji x-t10

bailey_db

Hello!

I am a new user here on this forum, although I have lurked around these pages for a few years without posting. But I thought I'd start engaging a little more, and one of the reasons was to get some talk going about the new Fuji x-t10.

For me specifically, it seems like a timely new release. I say this because I have been thinking about abandoning the alpha/nex system I recently jumped into in favor of the fuji x system. And it looks to me like the new x-t10 is potentially a good place to start.

I'm mainly a travel/street shooter and I decided last fall to look for something smaller than the Pentax k30 I had been using. While I loved the compact prime lens options for Pentax, I just wanted to get back to something closer to the Leica CL I used to travel with. Sony and Fuji both seemed to have multiple good options, but I went with the a6000 because the body was smaller and lighter (and cheaper) than the x-t1 or x-e2. But I have to say I am really missing the lens selection that fuji offers. Even the kit zooms seem to be worlds apart in quality. Between the body and the lenses, the Sony just isn't giving me the tactile experience shooting that I prefer. Using some older M mount glass really helps, but I really want to be getting that same feeling and quality WITH the option of auto focus (greedy, I know..).

I had recently been looking at used x-e2s and was considering giving the x system a try. From what I've seen, IQ seems every bit as good from both the x-t1 and x-e2, if not a little better. But now that x-t10 has been announced, I'm wondering if that's the more ideal camera for me. The size and weight are much closer to the a6000, but it has the Fuji sensor and lens line up.

So with all that out of the way, the question I have for all of you experienced Fuji shooters is, what are the pitfalls of going with the x-t10 over the e-x2 or x-t1? Would I be selling myself short not spending the extra $400 for the x-t1?

Obviously it's all conjecture until people have the chance to try the new fuji out. But I would love to hear people's thoughts on whether x-t10 is likely to be a viable alternative to the higher priced and larger Fujis.

Cheers,
Bailey

greypilgrim

Hard to get excited without seeing it in person. My general advice to anyone is to go try it out in your hand. Especially for someone who is thinking about street shooting, the ergonomics and physical use of the camera become a high priority. Otherwise, you end up in the situation you are in now; you have invested in something recently that you are considering switching from. That's an investment in $$$ and time learning a new system.

The camera that brought me into the Fuji fold was the X-T1, and it was a purely physical and shooting style decision. The wonderful Fuji lenses were a side benefit.

Doug

raist3d

The advice to try one is *always* great. For those who have tried the X-T1 and like it, the X-T10 is probably an automatic like if yo want lighter and smaller.

- Ricardo

Tim

I suspect the Internets will be abuzz with X-T1 vs X-T10.
In the hand examination is a good idea but looking at this - Compact Camera Meter

there does not seem to be a lot in it size wise.
Someone could list the differences but one notable is the X-T1 is weather sealed the X-T10 is not.

David Schneider

I've used the XE1 and XE2 for a combined 6 weeks of travel in Europe and Bolivia and Peru. I was thinking about getting a second XE2 as a back-up (my XE1 got stolen out of my car in my driveway). But now thinking about the XT10. I didn't like the XT1 for travel since it was bigger than the XE2 and lacked that simple pop-up flash that comes in handy if you are traveling ultra light. I also prefer the eye piece on the left side like a rangefinder. But that XT10 has me thinking......

The 18-55mm "kit" lens is a wonderful lens. For travel, I've found I use it 60% of the time. The 14mm is a gem of a lens being very small, light weight, and optically spot on. For travel, those two lenses will generally cover 90-95% of what you need. And you can get a vintage Nikon Series E 100mm f2.8 and a Kipon adapter (about US$60 and $60) and you have another lightweight, great lens for a modest longer lens/portrait lens.

MCTuomey

X-t1 user and I think the x-t10 has at least one advantage over the x-t1. Looks like back-button focus will be more ergonomic with the t10, judging from its AF-L button and thumb grip placement. I'm guessing the t10 will need some front grip help for those of us with larger, longer hands though. It's even smaller than the t1's. If you'll be shooting in damp weather, the x-t1's weather-sealing may be worthwhile.

Overall though, the x-t10 looks like a great platform for the smaller XF lenses. Good luck with your choice.