The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I shouldn't have done this...

Ken_R

A friend of mine just got a X-T10 w/ the 18-55mm and I told him to come by my studio so I could test the camera out. I am a Canon user and have been for years. (also use an IQ160 w/ tech camera and Hassy H1)

First impression. OMG this camera is tiny but very well made. Feels solid! The lens too. Tight! Now, it took me a short while to set the camera up to my liking. It is amazing how configurable it is. I set in high performance mode, single point AF and full manual exposure. I put the viewing mode in EVF only as well.

I first tested it with some tungsten light dimmed pretty low (iso 6400, 1/60 sec f4) and focused on a beer bottle I set up. Man, AF was fast and the viewfinder looked great. I mean, when using flash it was a bit of a pain since I had to go to the menu and disable the "show actual exposure in EVF"? setting and the view got noisier. But when photographing with available light having the EVF show actual exposure is a huge edge since I can leave exposure in manual and just adjust as I see fit. The EVF magnification is nice but it is at the lower limit of what I like. Would be nice for it to be more (the X-T1 perhaps?)

I honestly did not use the dial on the top left side, much rather have an iso setting dial there.

Overall I think the design of the Fuji is awesome. My Canons looked like a Dinosaur next to the Fuji which looks and feels current.

The Fuji 18-55 is one good lens. Wow. Really good performer.

I compared image quality with my Canon 5D3 and it was very close even at iso 6400! Crazy! Color was a bit different on the Fuji (the reds needed some adjustments) but overall the raw file quality was very very close with the Canon. The Canon had a hair more detail, maybe, it was that close and was a hair cleaner, again, maybe. I used the latest Adobe lightroom to process the files.

Overall I really want to buy into the Fuji System. An X-T1 perhaps?

Ken_R

I forgot to mention I also checked out a Sony A7 and it felt like crud compared to the Fuji. Felt soulless. Hard to explain.

ReeRay

The X-T1 with the latest V4 firmware upgrade is awesome. As a 5D MK2 user I bought into the X-trans system from day one and have never regretted it. Neither will you.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you don't do sports photography or video and don't need ultra high resolution, the X-T1 is one of the best cameras on the market these days. I'm saying that as a very satisfied Nikon user who unfortunately needs the resolution of the D810 sometimes and often prefer the optical viewfinder. But I've been tempted many times, and with an X-T1 and a Speed Booster, I could be flying with Fuji wings using my AiS lenses in no time. I might give in one they too :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The XT1 is indeed a great camera! I owned it and sold it only because I run a complete Olympus m43 system for mirrorless and wanted to have as second system a "normal" OVF FF Nikon again - with the Df.

Having said that if I had not been so heavily invested in Olympus (which BTW is a lovely system especially with the Pro glass and when using the right processing through C1Pro) I would have stayed with Fuji, the XT1 was really perfect and should be even better with FW 4.0 now. I cannot speak for the XT10 and if money is not the issue I would always choose the slightly bigger and more feature rich XT1 instead, as Fuji lenses become pretty big sooner than later and then the slightly larger size is just right IMHO.

If you want great video from the Fuji then you are pretty wrong - should rather choose a Sony A7xyz instead, also if it has "no soul" :)

Tim

A friend of mine just got a X-T10 w/ the 18-55mm and I told him to come by my studio ........
Overall I really want to buy into the Fuji System. An X-T1 perhaps?
Ken,

first up, thank you for a wonderful story.
Its great to have a good time making images and even better when the gear just gels.
I am in a bit of rut right now. I've been using my Ricoh GR more and more and recently sold my m43 system.

My issue with m43 is I feel my locality on the planet suffers from very harsh direct light. I feel the dynamic range is just not there for me when i am outdoors which is often where i am making images. When I process the m43 images there is a lot lacking for me. It is likely of course its poor user skillz on my part.

I am considering trying a XT-1 for a few reasons. To evaluate if the DR will be "nicer" in my light. Also the prime 14mm (21 equiv) is calling me, as is the 50mm equiv. I'd like to try the Fuji as ergonomics appear what I would like. I loved the X100 I had. Not sure why i sold it. The Fuji lenses are also more affordable than the Sonys.

Good luck with your decision.

PS: the XT-1 in Australia is closing in on 50% of their release price right now. Under AU$1K for a new local delivery.
Elsewhere they may still not be as cheap but for me I can do a body only price great.

Last edited:

bab

Just finished shooting a series of action shot at an amusement park with the xt1 and Leica 50 lux mounted. Images look Leica like, I have the 16-55 2.8 but thought why not try the 50lux!
Set up was easy all manual works fine, zone focus handle some situations other times focus was with split or focus peak. I even shot some with auto ISO and auto shutter!
I think the camera feels great with the LUX mounted, it balances better than the huge 16-55 2.8 even though I lost the zoom I might be interested in trying two bodies. One with the 50mm lux and the other with the 28-35 lux my only criticism of Fuji camera is the FRIKN battery I have four of them! If I had two bodies I would need eight batteries or a jacket with solar panels that was self charging maybe that's Fuji's next project.
On to the files the Raws take some work most of the JPEGs are nice too bad I don't use the except to view how I can make the raw file blow away the JPEG .
For the price of the xt1 and the constant FW upgrades the quality of the images and the ease of use of the camera it's a no brainer to buy a couple of bodies.
The lenses at this point I only own the big 16-55 2.8 which is scary big to most people outside of the studio, I'm still going to buy a few more lenses but I think I'll buy another body also with a couple of primes. I went to the ballon festival in ablq. A hundred years ago and saw a dude with 5 linhof's strapped to a harness that's to much but I always wanted two of the same bodies with two different lenses one hanging off each shoulder and a belt with eight batteries Ha Ha!
My point the Fuji is a no brainer!

Gbealnz

Yep, nice gear, to be sure. I've returned to the Fuji fold after a short stint with an X-Vario, and a T, both gorgeous, but for some reason I turned them over and am now firmly back.

Not sure why you are sliding through the batteries though. As I type this, I have just come in from about 3-4 hours of long exposure astro shooting, most shots about 5 minutes each, and LOTS of them. It is cold too, about 0ºC outside, so the old batteries will be doubly handicapped. Still on my first one though, with a spare or two up my sleeve.

I too like the M lenses on the X-T1, but I am also very fond of the XF35, a sleeper of a lens.
Gary

Jamgolf

Just as others have stated already, my brief experience with Fuji XT1 has been a very pleasant one. It's compact and feels like a phtographer's tool - not like a 'cold' digital device. Fuji 16mm and 56mm APD (my 2 lenses) are optically superb, 16mm+XT1 combo is weather sealed so that opens even more photographic possibilities in mildly bad weather.

The setup just feels right. And as a bonus Fuji pricing is not astronomical and they also deserve a lot of praise (and support) for offering significant firmware updates free of cost.

I am also tired of spending my life post processing files. I do not want to post process every single file - anymore. I still shoot RAW+FINE but rarely post process XT1 files. Fuji JPEGs are so nice that I am happy with them as it is. If I do want to really tweak a 'special' image, then the RAW file is there, but I am doing that less and less.

At this point I am content with only post processing my files from Cambo/Credo60 and using Fuji's OOC JPEGs for most other photos.
I feel XT1 is really a very good companion to my MF technical camera/back.

Last edited: