The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EVF Newb question

synn

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the XE-1 in the studio. This is pretty much the first EVF camera I have used with studio strobes and I have encountered a problem that many have in the past. Basically, when I set my exposure manually for studio work (say, f/8, 1/125s, ISO 200), everything is pitch black. the scene lights up briefly when I focus using AF, but then it it pitch dark again until I make the shot.

I was using the Fuji as a backup camera to my Leaf Credo (Mainly for fun), but I found that this is basically impossible to work with for real work. I know that there are many who use the Fuji in the studio, so I wanted to ask if there is some sort of a menu setting that will make sure the EVF is always set to show a bright image and not simulate the actual exposure?

Thanks in advance!

JaapD

You need to set Preview Exp (Exposure preview) to "OFF". It's in one of the EVF settings....
(this is how it works on an X-T1, don't really know if it exists on an X-E1 though).

Last edited:

JaapD

It would be great if you could assign ”Preview Exp” to the Fn button. Next Thursday there will be a firmware upgrade available for the X-E1. Let’s keep fingers crossed…..

synn

Cll, that will be interesting. I have assigned ISO to the f'n button (LOL, F'n button), so personally, I would prefer to assign this function to another button. But let's see.

Ken_R

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the XE-1 in the studio. This is pretty much the first EVF camera I have used with studio strobes and I have encountered a problem that many have in the past. Basically, when I set my exposure manually for studio work (say, f/8, 1/125s, ISO 200), everything is pitch black. the scene lights up briefly when I focus using AF, but then it it pitch dark again until I make the shot.

I was using the Fuji as a backup camera to my Leaf Credo (Mainly for fun), but I found that this is basically impossible to work with for real work. I know that there are many who use the Fuji in the studio, so I wanted to ask if there is some sort of a menu setting that will make sure the EVF is always set to show a bright image and not simulate the actual exposure?

Thanks in advance!
I personally do not like to work with cameras with EVFs in the studio because I like to work with low modelling lights at times and the AF struggles and the EVFs can be a tad grainy and just slower to respond. IMHO OVFs rule in the studio still. Some EVFs are better than others obviously and the latest EVFs are very good. Just tested the one in the X-T10 in my studio and liked it (although it is a bit on the small side). Try it with strong modelling lights for the best overall performance.

synn

Hi Ken,

i defintiely agree that in the studio, OVFs rule. Absolutely love working with my DF+.
While modeling lights are a huge help, the problem is that my lighting kit consists of Elinchrom Quadras and the modeling lights on it are a huge drain on the battery and also, automatically switch off after a while. In a commerical studio, this is not a problem, but my work usually takes me to clients' homes and I do not want to lug huge strobes around. :D