The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question regarding Fuji X Lenses

Ken_R

Hi!

I am considering switching to the X-T1 for my On Set work and need the gear to be absolutely silent for working with actors during filming. I already tested the silent shutter with the X-T10 and it works perfectly I assume the X-T1 is the same.

I am considering all or several of the following lenses and need to know if any makes too much noise while autofocusing and or regular use.

1. 18-55mm: tested it, its very quiet but makes noise while stopping down aperture while shooting. Wide open, absolutely silent. I tend to shoot wide open most of the time so no issues here.
2. 50-140mm: read in a few places that it makes a weird annoying sound all the time. Have not used it.
3. 35mm f1.4: used it, seemed fine
4. 56mm f1.2: have not used it, also wondering about the low light AF accuracy
5. 90mm f2: no clue about this lens

thanks in advance!

plaase see my other test regarding the electronic shutter

Last edited:
Where are you located, Ken? If you are in the greater Los Angeles area, you're welcome to take my 56mm for a spin on set. I use it on a X-Pro1 and XT-1. Accurate on both in low light IMO, but slow on X-Pro1, even with latest firmware.

Ken_R

Where are you located, Ken? If you are in the greater Los Angeles area, you're welcome to take my 56mm for a spin on set. I use it on a X-Pro1 and XT-1. Accurate on both in low light IMO, but slow on X-Pro1, even with latest firmware.
Hi!

Im in Puerto Rico. Will be here for a while.

Thanks for the offer, if im in LA I will look u up.

I just did some tests in my studio ( http://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/56729-fuji-x-electronic-shutter-test-banding.html )and it seems the max electronic shutter speed I can use is 1/125 sec. under any light except 100% daylight. :( No issues with the mech. shutter obviously.

Love the system though and image quality is good enough even with some cropping. AF with the zoom (18-55 f2.8-4) was fast enough in low light and accurate. A friend of mine lent me his X-T10 kit (18-55 f2.8-4) so I will take it on set today.

Just saw your other thread. I've never had the need for the electronic shutter yet. Out of curiosity, what shutter speeds do you typically use on set?

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the 18-55 is, especially considering it it their "kit" lens.

Ken_R

Just saw your other thread. I've never had the need for the electronic shutter yet. Out of curiosity, what shutter speeds do you typically use on set?

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the 18-55 is, especially considering it it their "kit" lens.
Generally use 1/200 or faster (with my Canons)

Paul2660

I would also consider the 16-55mm, it's fixed F2.8, a bit larger and heavier, but totally weather sealed.

My 18-55 also makes a bit of noise, when controlling focus or aperture. But it's very sharp throughout the zoom range. Mine also has always had a sound like something is moving around (elements or groups) but it's always worked find.

I tested the 56 1.2 and it's an excellent lens, at least the one I had. Just did not need that fast in that focal range. AF accuracy on all of these lenses improved dramatically with the 4.0 firmware on the XT-1, you just don't get misses now.

The 35mm 1.4 is still on my list.

Paul

MCTuomey

56/1.2. - nearly silent, same as 18-55 and 23/1.4
35/1.4 - AF is slightly buzzy, also makes soft clunk when powering off
50-140/2.8 - soft clunk when powering off, otherwise nearly silent (but just acquired so my early impression)

GCecchetto

I have a rather large Fuji system and love it for street photography, so don't take this the wrong way. Given your comment about the fuji electronic shutter issues, you may want have a look at the Sony A7Rii. The electronic shutter function is reported to be quite good. I realize it may be total overkill resolution wise.

Paul2660

The 50-140 I received, same soft clunk on power on, but mine makes a whirring noise all the time, outside, really can't hear it, inside, quite room, yes quite loud.

Others report this also, but some reviews don't seem to have an issue.

All Fuji Lenses zoom lenses I own make noise, 18-55, 16-15, 50-140 and the 55-200, and the noise stays on all the time, OIS On or off on lenses that have it. the 55-200 I have is much quieter than my 50-140, but optically the 50-140 is vastly superior. Add the 1.4 TC and no loss of details.

Beside the noise, the 50-140 appears to have 2 motors and they will start to have an effect on your battery, i.e. drain.

Still love the lens, and going to hold it, betting on the 24MP chips coming next year.

Paul C