The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

General EVF question, XE-2 content

neils

I've never used one and not sure I could go from decades of SLR, DSLR and Leica M habits to ever do it, yet the XE-2 interests me.

So at the moment of exposure and the short time after what does the display do? Brief what? Refresh? Freeze?

I just imagines there is an interruption in the view and wonder what it is. If there is none that is ideal. Of course a flipping DSLR mirror is an interruption I've come to live with.

I want to rent one to try from LensRentals but I'm just doing homework.

Thanks

Neil

neils

Really? 117 of you have no experience with the way the EVF's? Odd being a Fuji forum. I'm just looking to get an idea of what happens at the moment of exposure and just after.

Neil

tbhv55

Really? 117 of you have no experience with the way the EVF's? Odd being a Fuji forum. I'm just looking to get an idea of what happens at the moment of exposure and just after.

Neil
I can't help with regard to the x-E2, but I can tell you that on the x-E1, the EVF goes black for split-second. I would estimate it at about a fifth of a second (0.2 s) - please note, however, that this is ONLY an estimate.:)

I would presume that the blackout on the x-E2 is either the same, or (probably) slightly shorter.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I shot the XE2 for about 4 months some 2 years ago and never had any issues with EVF blackout - shall mean it was there but I did not really notice it as disturbing me.

Same BTW was my impression for the XT1.

Seriously I would try one out before buying - this is what I would recommend in general for every camera!

Good luck with Fuji!

MCTuomey

I've never used one and not sure I could go from decades of SLR, DSLR and Leica M habits to ever do it, yet the XE-2 interests me.

So at the moment of exposure and the short time after what does the display do? Brief what? Refresh? Freeze?

I just imagines there is an interruption in the view and wonder what it is. If there is none that is ideal. Of course a flipping DSLR mirror is an interruption I've come to live with.

I want to rent one to try from LensRentals but I'm just doing homework.

Thanks

Neil
Hello Neil

I use a couple of XT1's. Shutter blackout is very short, easily tolerated in my case, even when using high and low speed multi-exposures. No significant difference from my Canon dSLR mirror blackout.

Rayto

I would suggest you try one out first if that's possible. Like buy and return as trying one out in a store is usually a hurried affair and you're concentrating on a dozen different factors.

The evf on the E2 is not that great. I went from a dslr to an E1. Loved it but moved to an XT1 just because of the evf. Also have an E2 and had an X100 and X100T as well. While better than the E1, the E2 still leaves me disappointed. Issues are not blacking out. It's got a small magnification factor and it appears way down the end of a dark tunnel. It's crisp, pretty much lag free and holds up well in low light. Just a size issue which none of my other Fuji's have as they all use higher magnification.

My view of buying and returning is the web stores put all the brick and mortar camera stores out of business. That's their business model and I believe they have to absorb the cost of people no longer being able to try locally and decide whether to purchase or not based on in-hand experience. My wife an I split our time between Europe and the USA. Web commerce really hasn't taken off in Europe and local camera shops still exist. Makes buying decisions a whole lot easier. In our city of 55,000 in Switzerland, I can look at any X-Series camera Fuji makes. I my city of 2 million in the USA which is adjacent to a larger urban area, it's a struggle to get my hands on one or two models and they're usually tied down, no batteries and sales people that don't know the difference between a camera and a toaster oven.