The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New X70, a Ricoh GR or Coolpix A alternative

raist3d

I honestly don't see this camera as a clear advantage over the GR. Here are the main things I see:
- Fuji JPEG simulation
- Xtrans better resilience to color moire
- Fuji handling of aperture/exposure dials
- Articulated LCD

After that I see one thing that to me is a bit of an omission
- No built in ND filter
- No snap focus (though you can certainly play toggling AF/MF)
- The Ricoh GR is more pocketable
- The Ricoh GR has a faster leaf shutter
- at least in USA, Ricoh GR is $50-$100 USD less

The first to me for street life is a bit of an omission if you wanted to shoot wide open. The fuji does have an electronic shutter option- but that will create some serious rolling shutter artifacts if you are moderately panning around (per my experience with XT10).

As for sharpness I am not seeing at least for JPEG any shots so far that best the Ricoh GR lens. I am sure the Fuji is pretty sharp too but the Ricoh is pretty sharp also.

Resilience to color moire would be to me the big Fuji advantage if you do your work in color.

- Ricardo

Color pallet differences would be a difference maker to me.

For those of you who have both a GR and a Fuji X-trans sensor camera, I'd like to know if the colors... flesh tones specifically... are better on one than the other.

Tim

Eric Kim's review of the X70 from a street perspective. - Review of the Fujifilm X70 For Street Photography

I honestly don't see this camera as a clear advantage over the GR. Here are the main things I see:
- Fuji JPEG simulation
- Xtrans better resilience to color moire
- Fuji handling of aperture/exposure dials
- Articulated LCD

After that I see one thing that to me is a bit of an omission
- No built in ND filter
- No snap focus (though you can certainly play toggling AF/MF)
- The Ricoh GR is more pocketable
- The Ricoh GR has a faster leaf shutter
- at least in USA, Ricoh GR is $50-$100 USD less

The first to me for street life is a bit of an omission if you wanted to shoot wide open. The fuji does have an electronic shutter option- but that will create some serious rolling shutter artifacts if you are moderately panning around (per my experience with XT10).

As for sharpness I am not seeing at least for JPEG any shots so far that best the Ricoh GR lens. I am sure the Fuji is pretty sharp too but the Ricoh is pretty sharp also.

Resilience to color moire would be to me the big Fuji advantage if you do your work in color.

- Ricardo
I think you have nailed most of the main points.

I've probably said this too many times but for a GR user the X70 does give Ricoh some incentive to improve with the GR III.
They have competition again, since the Nikon A was discontinued.

The fixed focal length quality compact is sparsely populated. The more the merrier for me.
We really only have the GR, X70, Leica X1/X2, Nikon A and maybe the Sony RX1 group but even the RX1 are not a flat package.
I was hoping that Fuji's rumoured MF camera may have been a HQ compact fixed lens like their 645 film series but I read its likely to be ICL.

I plan on giving the X70 a try. I won't part with the GR even if I keep the X70.
If I had a X70 and broke my GR I would buy a GRII, that is how much I like them.

phobus

Just tried one for a few hours. I think the GR wins on ergonomics hands down. It was tough holding the x70 one handed, and having a removable lens cap isn't so great. Also, the weight difference is very noticeable.