The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New X70, a Ricoh GR or Coolpix A alternative

Tim

While I was about to bemoan the lack of large sensor compacts, according to rumours it looks like Fuji is about to release the X70.
APSC 28mm equivalent compact.
The non telescoping lens design is welcome as is the tilt screen.

Its tough to judge the size but it seems is may be not too small, not too big.

I like it but doubt it will supplant the GR.
Thoughts on this.

Fujifilm X70 Photos and Specs Leaked: Touchscreen Has Arrived

V

Vivek

There is quite a glowing review here http://jonasraskphotography.com/2016/01/15/the-fujifilm-x70-review/

I am rather taken with the clarity and sharpness this little camera can manage.
Check out the eye image in the link above. Its every bit as good as the GR perhaps even better.
The reviewer says it is made for street photography. Why a teensy flash instead of a Sony like pop up EVF? :confused:

(i would have been happy without the flash, even if there was no EVF)

Tim

The reviewer says it is made for street photography. Why a teensy flash instead of a Sony like pop up EVF? :confused:

(i would have been happy without the flash, even if there was no EVF)
I do agree.

If without a flash and EVF, use the space for an active AF module or something useful.

retow

Looks like the real Leica X1 successor, a jacket or belt pouch sized aps-c compact with good user interface and plenty of manual controls. If I did not own a GR this one would be tempting. Better jpegs, high iso, touch screen, manual controls speak for the X70. Size, weight, battery life, ergonomics for the GR.

Malina DZ

Fujinon 18.5/2.8 seems to be identical to the one in Ricoh GR according to the lens specs, e.g. 7 elements in 5 groups with 2 aspherical elements, 0.1m MFD, 9-blades. Though their MTFs are different. Wonder which one has a better optical distortion control. Ricoh GR can do high speed sync of 1/2500s at all aperture values, x70 - only up to 1/1000s. I'm curious how good is continuous AF hit rate at 8fps for moving subjects.

Tim

Over on DPReview is a test chart showing results from the GR and X100T. No X70 yet, so this is all a bit useless... except there is one bit of interest there...

Have a look here - Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

--- where the GR at center is not quite as good as the X100, move the target to the mid center, to the green leaves and its better than all.
I looked though the Jonas Rask samples and cannot quite get over the tack sharpness of the eye image - The Fujifilm X70 Review | jonasrask|photography

If the Fuji can focus accurate and first time in low light it may have an advantage.
I have a feeling I am not going to get over the X70 until I buy and try.

Malina DZ

I'm in a market for a compact 28mm camera with a flash sync speed over 1/1000s.
If x70 lens is as sharp across the field as the one in Ricoh GR, x70 IQ will have an edge with no aliasing artefacts. If continuous drive and tracking AF-C modes work well together insuring a high hit rate, I'll have no doubts of which camera to choose.
2x Olympic gold medalist Pete Reed shoots with x70 already :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIyliQMCcEw

Tim

I'm in a market for a compact 28mm camera with a flash sync speed over 1/1000s.
Interesting question. It does reportedly have a leaf shutter. I heard some reviewer say it had a high flash sync. I think I heard also that there is an electronic shutter?

Malina DZ

Tim, x70 does have a leaf shutter. Jonas Rask mentioned in a comment reply that it syncs with flashes as x100 does at all apertures at 1/1000s. It does go up to max sync speed of 1/4000.
I'm curious why none of the P&S manufactures (Sony, Fuji, Ricoh, Sigma) promote the leaf shutter high sync speed feature? They don't even mention the max x-sync speed in the camera specs, while it's among the major selling points for P1 & Leica S.

J

JohnW

Replacing my GR seems almost unthinkable, but the X70 is pretty compelling. I always regretted no tilt screen on the GR and the Fuji has it. Plus, judging from my experience with X-Trans, there should be a stop or so better ISO performance. Ergonomics and everything else with the GR are about perfect. I look forward to handling the X70 when my local store has one.

One thing for sure, Ricoh need to keep moving forward. They can't just stick a "II" on an existing model, no matter how good it is.

John

Tim

One thing for sure, Ricoh need to keep moving forward. They can't just stick a "II" on an existing model, no matter how good it is.

John
You are so right, if the X70 does anything for a locked in GR user, that will be to push Ricoh to "up their game".
In this case competition could be good.

For those who are obsessed with that camera sizer like I sometimes am, the X70 has made it to their list.

Here's some to compare with - Compact Camera Meter

Tim

Tim, x70 does have a leaf shutter. Jonas Rask mentioned in a comment reply that it syncs with flashes as x100 does at all apertures at 1/1000s. It does go up to max sync speed of 1/4000.
I'm curious why none of the P&S manufactures (Sony, Fuji, Ricoh, Sigma) promote the leaf shutter high sync speed feature? They don't even mention the max x-sync speed in the camera specs, while it's among the major selling points for P1 & Leica S.

The manual that you posted above shows on page 47 that the shutter will sync at speeds of 1/2000 or slower.
I hope I am not misunderstanding this.

Page 149 also mentions that "Flash turns off when ELECTRONIC SHUTTER is selected for SHUTTER TYPE"
So I assume flash can't be used with Electronic shutter.

The restrictions chart on P148 is awesome.

You are quite correct that other manufacturers don't mention this feature.
I looked through the Ricoh GR manual and can find no mention of the sync speed with its leaf shutter.
There is a brief article here about the GR sync ability - diglloyd Mirrorless - Ricoh GR - Leaf Shutter in Lens: Shutter Speed + Flash Sync (diglloyd.com excerpt)

Malina DZ

:clap: Fuji mentioned x-sync speed in the manual. 1/2000s is great and most likely applies to all aperture values. Max x-sync might raise up to 1/4000s with aperture stopped down (I hope). Sigma DPMs work in a similar fashion and sync with flash up to 1/2000s from f/5.6 and smaller.
That's the first Fuji user manual I read, and was pleasantly surprised by a number of described limitations, e.g. focus point selection and flash operation in burst mode.
This way you don't get frustrated when you learn camera operation limitations by yourself, because a manufacturer didn't mention them in a manual.
BTW, there is no field-of-view crop in Movie mode :cool: