The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-Pro2

kuau

Workshop Member
I'm really excited about the new X-Pro 2 yet I still have a few thousand RAF files from my XE2 and I am still not pleased with the X-Trans sensor issues with raw conversions.
Yes I own almost every raw converter out there including all the usual suspects.
Sure Iridient developer IMHO gives the best results but it's painstakingly a slow workflow.

As much as I would love a hybrid style rangefinder experience, I will stick with my Leia M-P and Leica S kit for now and will probably rent the XPro 2 first with a few primes to come to my own conclusions.

segedi

Assuming you have Capture One Pro? Curious as to your opinion. I'm going to get it for a Phase One digital back I'll be picking up soon. And I have a Fuji XT-1 coming in a trade. I'm considering jsut taking the JPEGs but usually shoot RAW. I might shoot both and keep the RAWs for the day when they can be manipulated to full effect.

kuau

Workshop Member
Update.
Went down to my local camera shop and they had an Xpro2 on display so I was able to take a few test shots with the 35/1.4 lens. Shot in raw at base ISO and processed in LR, results were very encouraging when I compared to similar shots I took with my M-P and 50/2 Summicron.

I was impressed with the build quality of the Xpro2 and the handling was very nice.

So I just placed an order for one from amazon with the 35/2 Fuji lens which they are running a special on.
I will do some more side by side comparison with my M-P then decide.

Going to be a tough decision I love my M-P yet having a rangefinder with an EVF and AF surely makes my life easier.
Kind of wished Leica would have came out with a Q style body with an M mount. Oh well.. I will post some photos next week when the Xpro 2 arrives

Y Sol

I took some test shots yesterday. X-pro2 and 35 F2. So far I'm very impressed! I like it a lot :clap:

Last edited:

Norm N

A Few test photos from the first day of shooting with the X-Pro 2. I process the raws in LR, and it's apparent to me that Adobe has reworked the Xtrans processing for the X-Pro 2. The first two photos have a small amount of additional detail and a moderate amount of masking applied. Sharpening is completely standard in the last photo. I tend to use the 18-55mm and frame tightly. The optical view finder is great for that kind of shooting.

I left Fuji for the A7Rm2, but that camera and it's lenses now goes on the auction block. Glad to be back with Fuji.

scott kirkpatrick

Can Capture One render a 24MPx file from the X-Pro 2, or do we have to wait for a full camera ICC profile to be readied? My sense of the discussion previously was that COne's rendering of the 16 MPx files from the previous X-series cameras was as good as any.

I have an X-Pro2 on order, and am looking at lenses currently. There are quite a few 23/1.4 R lenses on the used market. Any problems that I should check for in that lens type?

scott

jsf

Several of my friends have the 23mm and they think it is a fantastic lens. No problems that I have heard of. I chose the 27mm instead of the 23. Different purpose lens. But I have to say it is an exceptionally sharp lens. I am holding off until the T-2 comes out with the new sensor. I prefer the straight mirror-less system over the hybrid. I like rangefinders well enough, it is just the T-1 is so much suited to how I like to work that I am really looking forward to the T-2. There are little things that I wish the camera had.

a two card slot
a lock on the compensation dial
a two step switch for the video so I didn't trip it accidentally so many times.
and as much as I like the little button on the front of the camera that allows me to go into macro mode it is right where I like to place my fingers.

Other than that for me everything else is just as equally annoying as any other camera system with their idiosyncrasies.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I had the 1.4/23 as well as the 1.2/56, with were absolutely gorgeous lenses. You cannot go wrong with the both of them!

Last edited:

MCTuomey

I have an X-Pro2 on order, and am looking at lenses currently. There are quite a few 23/1.4 R lenses on the used market. Any problems that I should check for in that lens type?

scott
I believe a fair number of earlier manufactured copies showed decentering. I know I tried two before finding one that was good. I would get a return commitment from the buyer in case you're unlucky.

You might consider looking at the 16/1.4 R if you like the wide side. I have both and pretty much stopped using the 23 after acquiring the 16. I think the 16 has a bit more sharpness and contrast wide open. On the other hand the 23 has better bokeh and is somehow just more relaxed.

David Schneider

After just a couple of days testing out the XPro2, I HATE that there is no other way to MANUALLY change the ISO, other than that stupid ISO Wheel. I find it faster to have an Fn button set-up to bring the ISO up so you never have to take your eye off the viewfinder. (Please don't tell me you can assign an Fn button to AUTO ISO. I know. I am not a fan of Auto ISO.)

What Fuji could have easily done is have a separate letter where the ISO wheel has the L and H. When you turn it to that, it disables the ISO wheel and you can use the menus or assign an Fn button. Not big time engineering. I know that suggestion or something similar was brought to their attention a couple of years ago and I think they are nuts for not incorporating it. Some of use poor eyesight or older photographers would appreciate it.

I also find the XPro2 significantly larger than the XE1/XE2, which I knew when I purchased it. I guess the price you pay for dual card slots. The size isn't a problem in my studio, but I'm traveling for 18 days and will have both the XPro2 and XE2 with me and the size might be an annoyance.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
So, David, does an Fn button set up the way you describe do what you need? I'm not sure what's the exact point you make in your post. Do you mean that you would prefer not to have to lift the ISO dial before turning?

If the Fn button you are using does what you need, why the need for the separate letter idea you mention?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here. Enjoy that new camera too!