The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dpreview has their X-Pro2 in depth review started

JaapD

It’s a pity that Dpreview still uses the less than optimal Adobe RAW converter.
The results on the Fuji X-Trans sensor shall be expectingly much better in case CaptureOne or Iridient was used here.

Paul2660

I agree that Iridient does an excellent job, but lacks any good set of tools. However I have not found C1 to shine as I feel C1 can't begin to pull the details out of the Fuji files. C1 conversions can improve dramatically if followed by a sharpening tool like Focus Magic or Piccure+ .

Here is link to a detailed image comparison from the X-T1, between LR and C1.

http://photosofarkansas.com/2015/10/27/fuji-x-trans-raw-conversions-which-is-best-lightroom-or-capture-one/

I realize it's a personal pref. but to me C1 can't pull enough out of the files and LR, will easily overdue it by pulling out the stronger lines in the files. On landscapes this can lead to the dreaded painterly look. One thing I have been doing is always capturing a jpg fine image also, with the in camera sharpening set to +1. I then use that as a guide to what I am working towards in the raw.

With LR, I am now keeping the main sharpening slider below 50 and the details slider at around 60 or so. Then I follow up on the file with Piccure+ for the file round. LR's other main advantage is that it will allow for HDR creation, and pano creation. The HDR to me is just what I am looking for. The key to the panorama creation is the image is kept as a dng in LR so you can use all the tools in LR on the image as if the file was a raw file. Of course there will always be the discussion on the merits of dng vs raw, but for me the LR process is a huge benefit and C1 offers nothing like it, which means having to use Ptgui, CC or Kolor to create the panorama later on.

Paul C

bab

It’s a pity that Dpreview still uses the less than optimal Adobe RAW converter.
The results on the Fuji X-Trans sensor shall be expectingly much better in case CaptureOne or Iridient was used here.
Not only that but the flow of the reviewer is very hard to relate to the actual shooting experience. I own the camera and I spent a long time three days just getting it set up to use, partial days, but while learning and customizing I was making images. I think once I spend a full day shooting now I will get more familiar with the differences to my other camera options. I slapped on the 100-400 Fuji glass it's pure joy to use on the X pro 2 but my dealer didn't have the grip in stock which whe I obtain that should help with holding and shooting. Reading the user manual Fuji supply's is limited because it leaves you having to figure out for your self what "if I set this and do that" will happen. I wish Fuji would get some of their sales people to add further explanation to the manual. I've owned three Fuji bodies this one so far is the best. I'm going to use it today with flash so will see how that performs. So far I love being able to customize ant buttons to my liking but I really am far away from being on automatic with the tool. It's certainly not as easy as turning on my m240 and firing away but then the M 240 can't begin to do what the X Pro2 does either.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Sean Reid is also running a series of reviews around the X-Pro2

BTW, he has moved from his old Flash site (slow to load, hard to read) to an HTML-based site which can be viewed on tablets and phones. He has one X-Pro2 preliminary review up, two more sections promised. All his old tests of Fuji lenses are moved to the new viewing format. He's processing his take in LR. C1 doesn't handle the 24 MPx files yet. AccuRaw does, so I am trying that path. JPEGs OOC look nice.

scott