The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom and Fuji jpegs

Irenaeus

I've just bought a Fuji XPro2 and 56/1.2 APD lens. I need to see if the lens will be too demanding for my less than perfect skills and technique. My plan is just to shoot jpegs because I mainly need to see if I can focus the lens at max aperture.

I believe that Lightroom can process Fuji files up to a point and don't want these test jpegs to be tampered with.

My question is, if I just import the jpegs into the Lightroom Library in order just to look at the images, and not run them through any developing commands, will Lightroom still process them in any way?

If so, I'd probably still be able to examine my technique well enough. If not, however, I could go on to my next goal, which would be to just Lightroom as a holding tank for images while I go on to assess whether Fuji's highly acclaimed SOOC jpegs would be good enough for my general purpose non-exhibition work. (I'd shoot raw files while I'm at it, though, and process them as needed once I've then learned to use a more appropriate PP application.)

Thanks for your help,

Irenaeus

Godfrey

For converted file formats (JPEG, TIFF, and PSD), Lightroom does nothing but display them unless you engage the image processing tools. It only applies image processing to imported files when they are raw format. This is because raw format files are not displayable without conversion processing.

The current version of Lightroom is reputed to be able to do a good job processing Fuji raw files as well, if you are so inclined.

G

Norm N

Hi Irenaeus,

Fuji and Adobe announced several months ago that they were going to work together on developing the processing for the Xtrans III sensor that is in the X-Pro 2. Based on the raws I have processed, I'd say they have done an excellent job. there is definitely greater acuity, no doubt due to great lenses and eight million more pixels. But the processing shows that improvement, and the colors are simply wonderful.

Your Jpegs will display without additional sharpening, but you can further process, if you wish. You will also have the in camera film simulation you choose, Provia is standard. In processing raws, I most often use Pro Neg standard, since the color intensities are more subdued, and I will adjust as needed.

Even with Jpegs there's a lot to choose from in camera. i suggest taking a look at the recommendations of Damian Lovegrove, a true professional photographer who uses Fuji. i think his blog is called "Pro photo nut," or something like that.

Enjoy your camera.

Norm

Irenaeus

Thanks so much, Godfrey and Norm, for your reassurance and advice as to the next stage of my process. Good news to sleep on! All the best, Irenaeus

Paul2660

To my eyes, yes the colors are excellent in latest LR on the X-Pro2 files, but the finer details on landscape subject sadly look just like XT-1 images in that LR still cannot resolve the details without giving the edges a hardened look which quickly moves over to the painterly effect.

The announcement referenced was back in June of 2015 and I don't believe Adobe has made any improvements besides the before mentioned color improvements.

LR with nominal sharpening, produces a good image for me with follow up sharpening with either Focus Magic or Piccure +.

To me this issue is the single greatest problem with the Fuji files in general.

The whole issue is strange as LR can produce stunning images for non landscape subject, portraits, and macros, but when you start working with a lot of trees, and fine tree limbs, or rocks with a lot of lichens to me the effect just is still not the best.

Since the Adobe announcement was in June of last year, I am no longer hoping to see anything that will fix this anytime soon, which is tragic as LR/Adobe have added such great tools like the pano merge and HDR process both of which are perfect fits for my Fuji shots.

Paul C

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would suggest using finally C1Pro!

I am using both LR6 as well as C1Pro since years in order to overcome such stupidities :D