The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why Fuji

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While I am in general not a big fan of too biased reviews, I must say I am overwhelmed by this one - not quite a review, but a very good overview of why one would choose Fuji.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqAZ7VsaqnM&feature=share

I had an XPro1, XE1 and XT1 and meanwhile sold all of them mainly because of the sluggish AF at this time and I went pure m43 Olympus for mirrorless. But since then I am always missing something, especially the great film simulations, great Fuji lenses etc. - this is by no means saying that the Oly m43 glass is bad, but simply VERY different IMHO.

Now time seems to have come to get back into this system again with the very advanced AF of the XPro2 (and XT2 expected to come), as well as the meanwhile very much advanced XF lens arsenal and last but not least the 24MP sensors allowing just a bit more cropping when needed - 24MP have crystallized to be kind of the sweetspot for my type of work WRT resolution.

Do I sound like a fanboy - maybe, maybe not, I do not care any longer - and I will always keep my Oly m43 in parallel as well as my Nikon FF (at least for the moment).

Have also a look on this one, as it aligns very much with what I liked and like about Fuji - their JPEGs and film simulations - although I am in general a RAW shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHvCkRTK4_g

Have fun

Peter

rayyan

Hi Peter.

I am thinking to get a Pro2 or a XT-2 ( if available ) sometime later this summer.
Just deciding about the lenses. And waiting for some more reviews, before committing.

Thanks for the links and your thoughts.

Best.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I used and then dropped the FF X100, X-T1 and the X-Pro1 after struggling with early RAW developers on the X-Trans sensor decoding.

Then with the X-Pro2 imminent a while back I picked up a discounted X-Pro1 after reading a couple of X-Pro2 reviews ... and started re-acquiring
lenses. This time around the X-Pro1 was a much better experience ... for a walk about camera. So much so I have not bothered to pick up a X-Pro2
yet.

The following review pretty much brought me back to Fuji ...

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2016/01/15/the-fujifilm-x-pro2-review/

Bob

retow

X100, X-Pro1, XE-1, XT-1 was my journey. The former three where too slow. The latter three could produce files frustrating to process with LR at times. Though the XT-1 was pretty good, the 12 or so (lost count) Sony a7.... stole its thunder.
And then came the X-Pro2 and replaced my A7rII and C1 replaced LR and all is good. I gave up on the best FF sensor in a non slapping mirror body for the best camera body (for me) with a darn good aps-c sensor and a mount ready to take on all these great Fujinon lenses.

segedi

How strange, I saw that first video yesterday too!

It went off the rails a little when she said it changed the way she thinks. I don't really get that. With photography, the camera system shouldn't get in the way of your process or vision - unobtrusive. Maybe that's what she meant.

Fuji has changed my post-processing though. As a primarily RAW shooter, I've used JPEG way more. The Rethink RAW video mirrors my experience. I shot an event on Friday and selected over 100 shots to send to the client. I only needed to work on 2-3 RAWs and then tweak some settings to get them to look like the jpegs. This made editing a breeze!

Got into Fuji by accident after a lens I was hoping to trade for Sony gear or sell wasn't going anywhere despite my low price. Had an offer for an X-T1 and took it. Glad I did - it made my Sony aspirations disappear. Have since added:
10-24mm - great lens!
18-55mm - best "kit" lens I've ever used
35m f/1.4 - awesome image quality. Slower to focus and a bit louder than others.
56mm - can't say enough about this lens.

Will likely get the 50-140mm (and a 23/2 if the rumours prove true).

Eagerly awaiting the X-T2 as I've used a joystick on DSLRs in the past and it's a must for me. Have one more event to shoot next weekend and the X-T1 will be put up for sale. Any takers?

Sapphie

If you like to process Fuji RAW, I would try a demo of the latest Silkypix version 7. It has a Fuji film emulation mode (and can default to the one used in-camera, whilst also being able to select the others) and a newer 'natural sharp' algorithm. The film emulations and this sharpening algorithm work wonders to my eye; maybe as good a Iridient.

Silkypix can seem a little slow and 'alien' but that's nothing compared with Sigma's SPP.

Whilst keeping my Fujis I have strayed into the Foveon world and it's doing my head in. There is something alluring about the sharpness of those files but I am now thinking the Fujis have better colour, tones etc. My desert island camera of the moment is the X-Pro 1 and 35mm f/1.4. I will probably upgrade to the X-Pro 2 at some point but at the moment the X-Pro 1 seems enough and whilst it has been 4 years, still seems not very long ownership.

Lee

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great to see that I am obviously not alone with my thoughts/feelings about the Fuji X system. I think they came a long way over the past 5 years, but now this system is getting pretty mature with the XPro2 and the upcoming XT2 and the ever growing number of excellent X lenses.

As a wildlife shooter I am especially interested in the 100-400 and the 50-140 in combination with the TC14. As a landscape shooter I am looking forward to the 10-24. As a portrait and people shooter I know the 56 delivers (owned this lens and was very happy with the results). And for casual shooting I am tending to the standard 18-55 which is a hell of a lens - light, sharp and perfect. And there are so many more options.

I see that the X system is still just at its beginning and will evolve over the next 5 years in the right direction. And also developers like LR, C1Pro and others are getting better with every release.

So the X system is definitely a great place to be ;) will be back in soon.

Thanks for all the great replies to my original post

Peter

Thorkil

Interesting considerations, and statements! Looking forward to take a look at the X-T2 when it arrives.
Thorkil

Hulyss Bowman

Like you I got the Xpro1 and XT1 but both are sold with the good lenses (56 APD, 23, touit, zooms...). For me it was a waste of time and money to go in this system. I'm used to 24x36 and bigger and cant go back to crop except my old DP Merrils.

So yea, I understand ppl who need "lighter" system or never tasted bigger format. The file format too is kind of weird; I would have preferred normal bayer than the Xtrans.

I'll reconsider Fuji (a brand that I love in MF world) when they stop playing marketing and restart to be serious like in the old day with superb simple cameras and bigger format sensor.

The Xpro2 / XT2 aren't and won't be a giant leap compared to predecessors.

It is time to fuji to really come back and introduce more interesting cameras.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Like you I got the Xpro1 and XT1 but both are sold with the good lenses (56 APD, 23, touit, zooms...). For me it was a waste of time and money to go in this system. I'm used to 24x36 and bigger and cant go back to crop except my old DP Merrils.

So yea, I understand ppl who need "lighter" system or never tasted bigger format. The file format too is kind of weird; I would have preferred normal bayer than the Xtrans.

I'll reconsider Fuji (a brand that I love in MF world) when they stop playing marketing and restart to be serious like in the old day with superb simple cameras and bigger format sensor.

The Xpro2 / XT2 aren't and won't be a giant leap compared to predecessors.

It is time to fuji to really come back and introduce more interesting cameras.
While I fully agree with most of what you say, I think you missed the essential point - Fuji intentionally choose a smaller APSC sensor size in order to minimize the complete system. And I am afraid I do not think they will come with a larger sensor system soon ....

By building all cameras and lenses from scratch for the APSC format allowed them to release an overall significantly smaller system compared to the combined FF/APSC offerings of CaNikon, while obtaining stellar IQ, also enabled through mostly stellar lenses.

There is only one example offering even more compact system size, which is m43 that I shoot as well and love. But it will never reach the overall IQ that can be achieved with a system like the X system, which is one of the issues I am slowly getting.

Is FF better? For certain applications for sure and I love and adore the results I am getting from my FF Nikon D810. Or one could go even FF mirrorless with Sony - although this is not for me, or even Leica SL - again not for me as again too large and simply too expensive. There are more and more times where I prefer to lug around a more compact system and achieve 98% of the IQ I can get from my FF system (well maybe only 95%) - but I think you are getting the point.

What put me originally off from the XPro1 and the XT1 was mainly the still very sluggish AF performance, but that seems to be solved with the XPro2 and thus I assume also with the upcoming XT2. What I also wanted was slightly more MP than 16, which became available now with the XTrans III sensor - 24MP - which kind of is still the sweet spot for me WRT resolution. And if IQ and DR at higher ISO is great, then this just resonates perfectly with what I am looking for. And not to forget the Fuji colors, which once you fall in love are hard to find and replicate elsewhere.

So these latest incarnations of Fujifilm cameras plus the meanwhile very good lens lineup have made it for me. I do understand that you have obviously different requirements, but for me I am getting quite happy.

Best regards

Peter

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I used and then dropped the FF X100, X-T1 and the X-Pro1 after struggling with early RAW developers on the X-Trans sensor decoding.

Then with the X-Pro2 imminent a while back I picked up a discounted X-Pro1 after reading a couple of X-Pro2 reviews ... and started re-acquiring
lenses. This time around the X-Pro1 was a much better experience ... for a walk about camera. So much so I have not bothered to pick up a X-Pro2
yet.

The following review pretty much brought me back to Fuji ...

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2016/01/15/the-fujifilm-x-pro2-review/

Bob
I've been considering the same off and on for a couple of years, getting an X-Pro1 to test out the concept. Prices are very low for that body. One thing I would like to try out is one of the Fuji bodies with a speed booster and my OM Zuiko lenses. Which is the oldest/cheapest body that has proper aid for manual focusing, like electronic rangefinder, peaking or easy to use magnification?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I've been considering the same off and on for a couple of years, getting an X-Pro1 to test out the concept. Prices are very low for that body. One thing I would like to try out is one of the Fuji bodies with a speed booster and my OM Zuiko lenses. Which is the oldest/cheapest body that has proper aid for manual focusing, like electronic rangefinder, peaking or easy to use magnification?
I think the XPro1 is now available pretty cheap, either new or even cheaper as a used one.

And with the latest FW updates it should behave reasonably well even WRT AF, at least as you do not try to use AF tracking :)

doc4x5

I have made the same journey as many people on this forum. In the film era, I started with 35mm and went ultimately to medium and large format and then to digital. I do not choose to spend the huge costs for medium format digital and am not sure I'd want those hassles even if I did (probably sour grapes).

I longed for full frame mirrorless... just because full frame seemed like it should be better. I'm not sure why when I look at my prints from the X T-1 (up to 13x20"). I have been happy with my Fuji X T-1, but could not resist so I rented a Sony A7RII. It is a superb camera but after detailed analysis and spreadsheet comparisons of cost and weight, I decided I am happy with my APS-C Fuji.

It is physics and the manufacturers who are the source of the problem with full frame mirrorless. Physics dictates the need for a larger lens to cover full frame, especially if it is to have a focusing motor and stabilization, regardless of speed (tho probably not necessary with the IBIS A7RII). I know the Leica M lenses cover full frame and are small but they are the exception and have no focusing motors. The manufacturers, eg Sony & Zeiss have chosen to make large and expensive lenses for full frame mirrorless. The Sony 16-35, 24-70 f/2.8 GM and as yet priceless :) 70-200 f/2.8 GM cost roughly twice as much as my Fuji 10-24, 16-55 f/2.8, and 50-140 f/2.8 and weigh more as well.

It appears that the 24MP sensor in the X Pro-2 is quite nice and will likely be used for the upcoming X T-2 so it's likely I'll stay with Fuji.

UHDR

my fuji journey started with S5pro after comparing nikon and canon offerings at the time. i didnt need speed back then, but i really want to get the colour right.

at the time, canon was abit under-saturated/appear grey, nikon was too saturated and too much yellow in asian skintone. Went with S5pro for about 8 years not even having the desire to look for other camera. Then my eyes started to have a bit of problem which means optical viewfinder is getting more problematic to use. That's roughly when x-pro 1 and X-E1 hit the market with the EVF. i almost gave up shooting because of my eyes, but then EVF came along and saved me enthusiasm. at the time, X-S1 is also on the market, but i really didnt want to go further down in sensor size, so i went with XE1 once it hit a good price.

I started to shoot black and white first, having spent 8 years with a very strong AA filter (s5), XE1 blew it out of the water. However, once i start shooting more colour photos, i started to noticed i just couldn't get the colour quite right no matter how hard i try. i was so annoyed with the XE1, i end up giving it away. lol. since then, i have been searching for new camera, and as some of you may noticed, i almost went round the block....nex f3, nex 7, a7r, a77, a6000, dp2m, dp3m, G1x mk2, d7100, eos m3, OMD to name a few.... lol....

until a few months ago i was slowly making my mind upa and sticking with sony, then i got gifted a XQ2. at first i didnt pay much attention to it as it gives me the same colour as the XE1, but....and a big BUT, recently i went to Taiwan, Japan, Malta and Italy. and i finally realise what i am missing. the fuji cameras are optimised for tropical environment. cloudy days in the uk really doesnt suit them. so my new conclusion is that i will keep both system, sony and fuji. I will jump back in once the XT2 is out.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The XT2 is also what I am really waiting for. I cannot see myself using the HVF so much that the XPor2 would really pay off for me, instead I am sure I would miss the tilting screen of the XT2.

But maybe later I could add an XPro2 just to get the RF experience whenever I lust for - maybe a second hand body as soon as they become available :cool:

Paratom

While I am in general not a big fan of too biased reviews, I must say I am overwhelmed by this one - not quite a review, but a very good overview of why one would choose Fuji.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqAZ7VsaqnM&feature=share

I had an XPro1, XE1 and XT1 and meanwhile sold all of them mainly because of the sluggish AF at this time and I went pure m43 Olympus for mirrorless. But since then I am always missing something, especially the great film simulations, great Fuji lenses etc. - this is by no means saying that the Oly m43 glass is bad, but simply VERY different IMHO.

Now time seems to have come to get back into this system again with the very advanced AF of the XPro2 (and XT2 expected to come), as well as the meanwhile very much advanced XF lens arsenal and last but not least the 24MP sensors allowing just a bit more cropping when needed - 24MP have crystallized to be kind of the sweetspot for my type of work WRT resolution.

Do I sound like a fanboy - maybe, maybe not, I do not care any longer - and I will always keep my Oly m43 in parallel as well as my Nikon FF (at least for the moment).

Have also a look on this one, as it aligns very much with what I liked and like about Fuji - their JPEGs and film simulations - although I am in general a RAW shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHvCkRTK4_g

Have fun

Peter
The strange thing is that so many people say how they love Fuji IQ and color but I find myself - again and again - that there are some things I dont like so much in Fuji colors and IQ. For example too me often red looks more pinkish, highlight rendering is another area. When I once had a X-Pro 1 I experienced similar things.
I am not saying one is better than the other but for my taste it seems I prefer some other cameras in regards of color and rendering. (While I understand for some people adore Fuji color).
If I would like the Fuji sensor I would buy back into the system today, the x-pro 2 looks function wise and with the viewfinder like a perfect combination of advantages of a optical windowfinder with advantages of EVF (for ultra wide angle, macro, tele, zooms, movie)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The strange thing is that so many people say how they love Fuji IQ and color but I find myself - again and again - that there are some things I dont like so much in Fuji colors and IQ. For example too me often red looks more pinkish, highlight rendering is another area. When I once had a X-Pro 1 I experienced similar things.
I am not saying one is better than the other but for my taste it seems I prefer some other cameras in regards of color and rendering. (While I understand for some people adore Fuji color).
If I would like the Fuji sensor I would buy back into the system today, the x-pro 2 looks function wise and with the viewfinder like a perfect combination of advantages of a optical windowfinder with advantages of EVF (for ultra wide angle, macro, tele, zooms, movie)
This seems to be a matter of personal taste and preferences, right?

For me, whenever I am looking over my "old" Fuji X files I find them kind of magic, something I miss with most other brands.

As I already mentioned what drove me out of the Fuji system was AF plus the restricted lens choices at this time - but this seems now to be solved. And the combination of 24MP and APSC sensor is just the sweet spot WRT resolution and overall system size and weight - at least it would be for me.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

My take is somewhat different. I completely understand why people like Fuji cameras. They have a great lens lineup. I tried a XPro2 a few weeks ago and after handling it in store I came to the conclusion that it didn't feel quite right for me. I have larger hands, and while the holding ability and shutter placement was fine for me, the controls, dials, and ability to manipulate them felt crammed on for me. The menu system was pretty scattered for me as well but to be honest I'm used to Sony, Leica, and Panasonic menus. This is something of a moot point (but one worth pointing out for those not used to Fuji cameras) as I believe any and all menu systems get easier as you use them more.

The XT1 was much better for my hand size in this regard but the XPro 2 is the camera that I'd prefer to use on a daily basis as it applies to form factor. I have no plans to buy into Fuji (for myself) unless they release a MF system camera but I do like what they're doing in general.