The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T2... oh bugger

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

med

(blah blah blah).... but will probably wait for the first firmware update and/or the first set of deals to be had ...... (blah blah blah)

Well, so much for that plan. I just played around with an Xpro2, and based purely on the responsiveness and other ergo updates I placed my preorder for an XT2. No restraint! :banghead:

k-hawinkler

Congratulations on your new camera.

:worthless:

Please spost some pictures here when it's in your hands. :grin:

drofnad

APS-C isn't on par with full frame, and it never will be.
But what about those comments about prints being pretty much the same?

Here are the D5500 and the 4 years old A99 for comparison.
One thing catches my eye : these Sony FF RAW are half the size of APS-C Fuji, with Nikon between !?

I would prefer to use an XT-2 with an 18-55 f2.8-4 OIS to my EM1 with my 12-40 f2.8;
with the X-T2 sensor balancing out the speed advantage of the Oly f2.8.
To Elderly lamenting this wonderful X-T2, there is hope yet for E-M1 "v.2", yes?
(re 12-40 :: I've joined the broken-lens-mount group (my boneheaded dropping ...), currently awaiting Oly repair estimate, and having cleverly rigged (rubberband & mason line) a support structure that just stays clear of gumming up the focus ring!)

-d.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Any more impressions from the XT2?

I have very high hopes for this camera, as this might become my main photographic instrument .... of course with some selected Fujinon glass :cool:

med

Any more impressions from the XT2?

I have very high hopes for this camera, as this might become my main photographic instrument .... of course with some selected Fujinon glass :cool:

I was able to play with one the other day for a few minutes and it is FAST! Viewfinder blackout and shutter latency are noticeably quicker than XT-1 with or without "boost" mode. The higher refresh rate in the EVF while "boost" is on greatly increases smoothness so you are less aware of it being an EVF. I still prefer optical finders, but EVFs are getting pretty darn good.

I didn't dive into the menus at all to tweak the autofocus but it tracked very well at max frame rate following a moving subject in typical camera store lighting. One or two misses but that could likely be better with tweaking.

The dial locks and focus point "nub" are welcome ergonomic additions.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have been toying with the idea of getting a Sony A7s, once the price drops below $1,000. Shouldn't be long now. I have some excellent OM lenses just waiting for a good home... not to mention a stellar copy of the CV 12/5.6.

But I an joining this thread to mention that these days, I do not think sensor stabilisation is as necessary as it once appeared. I am using a Fuji X-E2 with a few Fuji lenses (and the CV mentioned above, on an adapter) and I have Auto ISO 1 set to 1/125" and ISO 6400. In the last six months I have never needed more than this and the vast majority of the many thousands of images I have made have been keepers (at least from the technical point of view!).

I enjoy the X-E2 with the 27/2.8 more than any of the many other cameras I have bought and sold over the last ten years. It reminds me of a digital OM-1. And I mention the A7s because like many here who grew up and shot 35mm film professionally, there is still some vestigial attraction to "full frame" as it's currently designated.

But, and the reason for this post, more and more I am thinking that APS-C, especially as it manifests in Fuji's hands, is the new "full frame". I use three Panasonic G6 bodies and a bunch of excellent primes for all our video work—shooting and mastering in 1080p, and outputting and showing in 720p. Everyone raves about the video quality, so we will not be moving from µ4/3rds for this use any time soon.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have been toying with the idea of getting a Sony A7s, once the price drops below $1,000. Shouldn't be long now. I have some excellent OM lenses just waiting for a good home... not to mention a stellar copy of the CV 12/5.6.

But I an joining this thread to mention that these days, I do not think sensor stabilisation is as necessary as it once appeared. I am using a Fuji X-E2 with a few Fuji lenses (and the CV mentioned above, on an adapter) and I have Auto ISO 1 set to 1/125" and ISO 6400. In the last six months I have never needed more than this and the vast majority of the many thousands of images I have made have been keepers (at least from the technical point of view!).

I enjoy the X-E2 with the 27/2.8 more than any of the many other cameras I have bought and sold over the last ten years. It reminds me of a digital OM-1. And I mention the A7s because like many here who grew up and shot 35mm film professionally, there is still some vestigial attraction to "full frame" as it's currently designated.

But, and the reason for this post, more and more I am thinking that APS-C, especially as it manifests in Fuji's hands, is the new "full frame". I use three Panasonic G6 bodies and a bunch of excellent primes for all our video work—shooting and mastering in 1080p, and outputting and showing in 720p. Everyone raves about the video quality, so we will not be moving from µ4/3rds for this use any time soon.
I could not agree more!

First sensor stabilization - while this is definitely a great feature, especially when implemented as IBIS in Olympus cameras, I cannot see the advantage of IBIS above in lens stabilization. Further when using fast primes (which is what I prefer fro my shooting) I also can easily live without IBIS - never ever needed it when shooting either my Leica M's or Nikon SLR's/DSLR's and also do not need it on Fuji bodies. I think IBIS becomes more important when using smaller cameras (and lenses), like many m43 combos, where it becomes increasingly difficult to hold them stable during shooting because of the tiny size and low weight.

Second APSC - already since some time it manifests in my mind that this became the new FF, especially as we are getting out of the low MP sensor ranges and today can rely on stable and great performing 24MP APSC sensors. Add to that the very good implementation of Fuji (XPro2 and upcoming XT2 and XA3) and this becomes a winning combo for almost all shooting situations. Also weight wise APSC cameras and specifically designed lenses for this format are much lighter than FF equivalents. I am getting so lazy lately that even for semi-professional work I do no longer want to lug my FF D810 with some pro glass around, so it sits well stored at home ...

Third video - I have not tested the XT2 video capabilities of course but from all I read and hear I am confident that Fuji made just a perfect implementation of video in this camera, especially with the easy use of all the film simulations without the need to go into post processing for great color as well as 4K implementation (for those who really need it).

I am still holding on to my m43 Olympus gear, mainly because of the great 2.8/40-150 and 2.8/12-40, but I can see that my interest for this system might shrink remarkably when I start shooting with the XT2 and my preferred glass - time will tell. And on top of that Fuji APSC is now finally offering 24MP Fuji IQ, which is kind of my sweet spot for post work including cropping, while m43 seems to be stuck with 20MP for the next years, which is better that 16MP, but not enough for what I want.

One final word about APSC form Nikon (same would apply as well to Canon but I am only shooting Nikon at the moment) - there is no consistent lineup of upper end (Pro) APSC Nikkor lenses after so many years. So one is left with the argument that FF lenses can be used on APSC bodies, but that is some lame excuse, as FF lenses are FAR bigger than special designed APSC lenses!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
So one is left with the argument that FF lenses can be used on APSC bodies, but that is some lame excuse, as FF lenses are FAR bigger than special designed APSC lenses!
That's the main problem, isn't it? If the FF Af lenses were OM size, the story might be different, but the Sony 50s, just as an example, are (to me) huge in relation to the bodies, esp. the gen. 1s.

And recall all the great film cameras: many of them were X-E2 size and close to the same UI, too.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That's the main problem, isn't it? If the FF Af lenses were OM size, the story might be different, but the Sony 50s, just as an example, are (to me) huge in relation to the bodies, esp. the gen. 1s.

And recall all the great film cameras: many of them were X-E2 size and close to the same UI, too.
Yes, even FF lenses specifically designed for mirrorless cameras (aka Sony and also Leica SL) show how big they get in order to fare properly. So for the moment at least I am no longer investing in FF.

Also the XT2 is almost the same size as the Nikon FM/FE generation of cameras, pretty perfect IMHO!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just got notice from my dealer that my XT2 arrived. Will pick it up as soon as I can ......

Really excited!

PS: that means XT2's are already shipping in Europe (at least Austria)!

Tim

Sony A7 II 24Mp FF with light AA filter vs X-T2 APS-C 24Mp with no AA.
Both now valid for video work.

The Fuji lenses smaller, lighter and more comprehensive lineup.
I think the Fuji wins, except the X-T2 body a bit higher in price.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My first impressions after playing a few hours ....

1) XT2 body feels remarkably more solid than XT1 body, I would say also notably better in most areas than Olympus EM1
2) AF got a huge improvement from the older models (XPro1, XE2, XT1)
3) Film Simulations are a charm like they always have been, especially ACROS
4) Shutter sound is really nice and pretty quiet
5) the whole camera concept is even more streamlined with the new menu structures
6) IQ is stellar - just was shooting around in my office, so nothing interesting to share, but the quality is outstanding
7) AF button is such a good new upgrade
8) Overall the camera feels much faster than older models and even faster than EM1

For me the camera is very logical and straight forward. I expect that I will grow on it!

Looking forward to the weekend to test further ...

Peter

PeterA

Peter - a lot of those photos look not quite in focus to my eye - what do you think? If not, I'm thinking at the very least- the camera is out resolving the lens.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter - a lot of those photos look not quite in focus to my eye - what do you think? If not, I'm thinking at the very least- the camera is out resolving the lens.
Peter,

if you look carefully, you should see that there is at least something in focus on almost all of the photos. The lens is definitely capable, but there are better lenses than the kit lens in the Fuji lineup.

Maybe I did not always put the focus on the right part of the image, but that was then my fault. Most of the photos were also taken outdoors with some wind, so this made things not easier.;)