The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX System

algrove

There are 4 more new videos too.

To me the price for the body is in line with the Pentax 645Z which can be had for around $6500. Agree lenses are a bit higher than any comparable Pentaz NEW lenses. Are they of the same quality of HB MF lenses that Fuji makes for them? We shall see.

23 February is not that far off if is in fact a factual date. Yes, I am thinking of HB release/shipping date fiasco.

iiiNelson

There are 4 more new videos too.

To me the price for the body is in line with the Pentax 645Z which can be had for around $6500. Agree lenses are a bit higher than any comparable Pentaz NEW lenses. Are they of the same quality of HB MF lenses that Fuji makes for them? We shall see.

23 February is not that far off if is in fact a factual date. Yes, I am thinking of HB release/shipping date fiasco.
Yeah I believe they released 7 new videos.

The lenses are supposed to be to be designed to resolve over 100mp when they day comes that cropped MF exceeds that. They're designed to be premium lenses and the prices aren't unreasonable considering where Hasselblad is for leaf shutter lenses that are slower than some of the Fuji offerings.

im hoping the 110/2 is $2500 or less. That the main lens that I'm interesting in combined with the zoom and the 23/4. I'd probably pick up the 63/2.8 for a one lens kit as well. In the 6x17 cropped mode you could get pretty wide while retaining about a 24mp raw.

algrove

Yeah I believe they released 7 new videos.

The lenses are supposed to be to be designed to resolve over 100mp when they day comes that cropped MF exceeds that. They're designed to be premium lenses and the prices aren't unreasonable considering where Hasselblad is for leaf shutter lenses that are slower than some of the Fuji offerings.

im hoping the 110/2 is $2500 or less. That the main lens that I'm interesting in combined with the zoom and the 23/4. I'd probably pick up the 63/2.8 for a one lens kit as well. In the 6x17 cropped mode you could get pretty wide while retaining about a 24mp raw.
~I believe I saw the 110/2 to be priced at $2300 and the 120/4 macro at $2600.

jdphoto

This sounds intriguing, but I think Fuji would have a lot more market share if they had introduced a full frame camera instead. It just seems like such a small market segment to invest this much R/D. I'm assuming this new sensor will have better skin tones and distant color rendition over APS-C models. I really like the idea of a 63mm f2.8, that's pretty fast for MFD! I want to find out more about lenses and flash sync. Are these leaf shutter lenses?

Hulyss Bowman

This sounds intriguing, but I think Fuji would have a lot more market share if they had introduced a full frame camera instead. It just seems like such a small market segment to invest this much R/D. I'm assuming this new sensor will have better skin tones and distant color rendition over APS-C models. I really like the idea of a 63mm f2.8, that's pretty fast for MFD! I want to find out more about lenses and flash sync. Are these leaf shutter lenses?
I was about to reply the same. At 6999 € ... it is just an another MF at MF price in the tiny MF world.

Instead, yes, they should have crafted some F100 (the big brother of the X100) to kick into Leica balls seriously. The real fuji success was the first X100 and I think it was not Xtrans.

A FF X100 would have been awesome (especially without xtrans).

I'm just disappointed.

V

Vivek

FF compact would have been nice but too late for Fuji. That spot is taken by Sony (RX1R ii) and Leica (Q).

I am happy that it is not one of their ridiculous limited edition color thingy.

V

Vivek

That is a load of bull! :thumbdown:

Do you own/use any of it?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Maybe I belong to a minority, but I am delighted about the fact Fuji is going for the GFX and enters MFD instead of bringing just another FF anachronism like so many other vendors feel intrigued to today.

Their philosophy is that APSC is just perfect as the NEW NORMAL of digital photography like FF was some hundred years ago at this time - and they are right IMHO!!!!

When asking for higher quality and resolution the GFX is the logical extension.

Kudos Fuji :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

algrove

2.8 is about the fastest MF lens barring some portrait lenses which are 2.0. Most MF manufacturers have their standard 50mm equiv lens as a 2.8 (Phase 80/2.8-62% for 35 equiv, Pentax 55/2.8-about 80% for 35mm equiv, etc.)

IMHO for Fuji to make this is just an extension of their lens manufacturing for HB H lenses which are considered excellent. The 35 FF market is saturated, but the MF mirrorless is not, yet.

iiiNelson

FF is a crowded and competitive market. MF (cropped or otherwise) makes a lot more sense especially at this price point. You can directly market to Leica 35mm owners, entry level MF owners, existing Fuji shooters with disposable income and a desire for a consistent lens signature, and people who have expendable cash to buy D5/1Dx bodies to photograph their kids.

Have you seen how hard its been for Sony to break into the market? Their camera division is one of the healthiest subsidiaries of the brand. Some people are insistent on Canikon no matter what. Sony has a large market saturation too when compared to Fuji.

D&A

Could someone please spell out for me the FF equivalent lens focal lengths? TIA.
You mean for any of the cropped MFD cameras like the X1D, Fuji GFX, Pentax 645Z and others? Take the lenses designed for the respective system and multiply the focal length by 0.8 . Yes multiplying by approx. 0.79 is more accurate but 0.8 gets you close enough.

As for why didn't Fuji go for a full frame medium format camera? The sensor's cost per unit would be considerably higher and they would have never reached the price point they have. I also have no idea if the lenses designed for the GFX cover medium format full frame or just the cropped MF sensor. Does anyone know?

Dave (D&A)