The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX System

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Nothing has changed because of the arguments and wild combinations brought by some - the Fuji GFX system will be a perfect MFD system and even get better with some Pro-service offered.

V

Vivek

Nothing has changed because of the arguments and wild combinations brought by some - the Fuji GFX system will be a perfect MFD system and even get better with some Pro-service offered.
Succinct and emphatic! Thanks!:)

Hulyss Bowman

It is not opinion it is fact in a professional world. Elite hobbyists are a fact too, but not what move the photographic world (hopefully), just the industry. Pros, even artists, rely on a certain rendering and aftersales service. Only two brands take care of this vital things for now. Probably 3 in the future.

Pros and artists, you know, the guys who live (large or not) from photography, want the brands to be loyal to them, not the inverse (and generally do not want to care about their tools).

Since the 80's, world is upside down.

So I'm not angry, just want some more humanity into the debate. Being pro in photography isn't easy, being artist in photography isn't easy aether. I'm tired to see rich ppl (or attentions whores) crowding the forums board with total nonsense upon brands and material, where prices are so unreal for the common mortal than the common mortals (pros and artists) leave the boards (lula, fm, gdpi ...).

I seek advices from the realistic pros or the artists, not the richest (or the "I want to exist") guy in the block.

V

Vivek

There are some encouraging rumors/speculations that the GFX will sport EFCS and ES.

We will know very soon.

iiiNelson

...I seek advices from the realistic pros or the artists, not the richest (or the "I want to exist") guy in the block.
That's cool and all but at the end of the day just buy what works for you... That's what makes your comments (and mine as well) opinion. What works for me to take the pictures that I like to take may not be your cup of tea and vice versa but you know if we get the shot then that's all that matters.

Hulyss Bowman

That's cool and all but at the end of the day just buy what works for you... That's what makes your comments (and mine as well) opinion. What works for me to take the pictures that I like to take may not be your cup of tea and vice versa but you know if we get the shot then that's all that matters.
I agree with most of your opinion here. I would love to use the sony sensor. Unfortunately I can't afford to trust a brand like Sony. I would love to trust Pentax, with the K1. Unfortunately I can't afford to trust a brand like Pentax. Those devices are very potent, even overkill, but ... service is a parsec behind maintstream Canon or Nikon.

Fuji, with a pro service, will win big time on notoriety. It is extremely important for people who invest for work, not only for fun. Both are possible but work first, it's my case.

V

Vivek

Psych counselling as well while welcoming the new GFX. Tre, :salute:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Nikon uses Sony sensors, mostly…

Best regards
Erik

I agree with most of your opinion here. I would love to use the sony sensor. Unfortunately I can't afford to trust a brand like Sony. I would love to trust Pentax, with the K1. Unfortunately I can't afford to trust a brand like Pentax. Those devices are very potent, even overkill, but ... service is a parsec behind maintstream Canon or Nikon.

Fuji, with a pro service, will win big time on notoriety. It is extremely important for people who invest for work, not only for fun. Both are possible but work first, it's my case.

Jan

I would like pentax to do it ... but Pentax is Ricoh owned so same story as Sony : business first :)

Canon, Nikon, Fuji. Only the best survive, the ones who care about photographers and do not sale you consumer products at homunculus prices.
So Canon, Nikon and Fuji are in the charity business? Wow!

D&A

I hear you Dave, however comparing Leica's ability to engineer an EVF without foresight into that M240 was not well thought out since exactly what you say was true--they could not support electronics with a higher resolution/frame rate EVF. In my mind comparing the Fuji 4 years hence to the M240 of nearly yesterday is not valid until we know what I suggest is true or false. Somehow I believe Fuji has better electronics with flexibility like in their X series where FW updates do a lot.

Talking FW updates, it took Leica over 3 years to finally stop making the default setting jpeg after a FW update instead of leaving it on RAW as I had it set on before the update. In a FF camera they were applying APS-C ideas.
I quite agree that its more than likely (hopefully) that Fuji anticipates growth and upgradability with the GFX to an extent with such things as an upgradable viewfinder and other user components. Fuji is a company that does pay attention to such things like regular firmware upgrades and upgradability to a variety of camera functions.

Dave (D&A)

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Expect to see 100 MP on 44x33mm in a few years. Put the Sony A7rII technology in 44x33 mm, you get 70 MP.

Sony has been rumored to have 70+ MP coming in 24x36mm for quite long, putting that technology in 44x33 gives you around 115 MP.

Best regards
Erik

Louis I had heard that too and one might infer the image circle of the Fuji lenses would be for full frame MF, but then again I wouldn't assume unless Fuji said so or someone devises a way to test the lenses out on a optical test bench. Then again like some of the new Pentax lenses, some are full frame MF and some are not. Of course all legacy Pentax lenses cover full frame MF but resolution wise those probably couldn't keep up.

Actually when you compare the prices of some of these Fuji lenses, they are priced below the new recently released Pentax lenses. which are/were priced new at $4300-5000.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Hi,

Expect to see 100 MP on 44x33mm in a few years. Put the Sony A7rII technology in 44x33 mm, you get 70 MP.

Sony has been rumored to have 70+ MP coming in 24x36mm for quite long, putting that technology in 44x33 gives you around 115 MP.

Best regards
Erik
I recall all too well when Nikon's flagship went from 2.7 mp to 6mp and many said, enough already, 6mp meets most everyone's needs. It was though 12 mp where I think many did pause and question the need for any more for most applications.

Imagine 10 years from now when people post rumors of a pending 24x36 sensor with 200 mp materializes and some "why, 115mp was more than enough" :)

Dave (D&A)

Hulyss Bowman

Hi,

Nikon uses Sony sensors, mostly…

Best regards
Erik
Thank you Mr Kaffehr to pointing me the obvious... But I do not think anybody here can teach me anything about sensors tech and who use what ;) I'm speaking about the 42 MP BSI (and no I will not buy into SLT alpha mount either).

So Canon, Nikon and Fuji are in the charity business? Wow!
Are you serious or just trying to feed the troll ? First I never said anything like that, second they are looking at reinforcing market shares positions. Marketing worked for a while; result : photo industry is either in stagnation or regression. Some brands just secure the future. As I said, building and running a professional service isn't cheap, at all. It is a proof of seriousness and customer care, a good sign for the future.

Don't you agree with this simple elementary observation ?

PS: Like Pentax, maybe Fuji will go 24x36 road after the GFX.

Hulyss Bowman

I recall all too well when Nikon's flagship went from 2.7 mp to 6mp and many said, enough already, 6mp meets most everyone's needs. It was though 12 mp where I think many did pause and question the need for any more for most applications.

Imagine 10 years from now when people post rumors of a pending 24x36 sensor with 200 mp materializes and some "why, 115mp was more than enough" :)

Dave (D&A)
You'll see this reasoning only on forums, sadly. Because reality, where most pro photographers are camped, is unfortunately a bit different. I'm working and will continue to work with 12 Mp. On 10 weddings maybe 1 couple is interested by the print quality (and some of my clients are very art educated and refined). None are interested by the gear and even less by the tech specifications of this gear ...

The most funny thing are (or was) my local concurrence who jumped 36 MP on wedding, invested in new computers and storage yadiyada. Useless. Customer don't care at all. One simple rule: Humans behaviours and traditions do not evolute as fast as technology... The evolution is generational , not every 3 years like Sony.

I have a huge commissioned work for this summer, state order, not private. The brief ask me files under 12Mp in size. But they will print it, and BIG. Only two times in 5 years I needed files over 12 MP (20 and 40Mp). Two times...

I'm also a printer. People who want more than A3 size aren't legion at all, only for some pano but mostly A4/A3 and sometimes A1 A0. One of my best friend is framer, like her father and her grand father before. Very fine artisan. Mostly, ppl do not have any place at home for very large prints (starting at A1). Very big frames go often into enterprises, rarely homes.

Most ppl on the planet continue to use full HD (or less) monitors on their computer. Far from 4K or 6/8K resolution...

So what is the point of more rez ? Spending more ? Impossibility to frame correctly ? Fun on screen ? Naaa it is just power usage. Some like to be power fools.

But I'm off topic. Can't wait first tests of this fuji camera.

Last edited:

Jan

The evolution I generational, not every 3 years like Sony.

Let me see what Canon brought to the market between 2003 and 2017:
300D - 350D - 400D - 450D - 500D - 550D - 600D - 650D - 700D - 750D - 760D. That's 11 APS-C models in 14 years. And that's just the APS-C models.

I hope it's January 19 anytime soon ...

algrove

You'll see this reasoning only on forums, sadly. Because reality, where most pro photographers are camped, is unfortunately a bit different. I'm working and will continue to work with 12 Mp. On 10 weddings maybe 1 couple is interested by the print quality (and some of my clients are very art educated and refined). None are interested by the gear and even less by the tech specifications of this gear ...

The most funny thing are (or was) my local concurrence who jumped 36 MP on wedding, invested in new computers and storage yadiyada. Useless. Customer don't care at all. One simple rule: Humans behaviours and traditions do not evolute as fast as technology... The evolution is generational , not every 3 years like Sony.

I have a huge commissioned work for this summer, state order, not private. The brief ask me files under 12Mp in size. But they will print it, and BIG. Only two times in 5 years I needed files over 12 MP (20 and 40Mp). Two times...

I'm also a printer. People who want more than A3 size aren't legion at all, only for some pano but mostly A4/A3 and sometimes A1 A0. One of my best friend is framer, like her father and her grand father before. Very fine artisan. Mostly, ppl do not have any place at home for very large prints (starting at A1). Very big frames go often into enterprises, rarely homes.

Most ppl on the planet continue to use full HD (or less) monitors on their computer. Far from 4K or 6/8K resolution...

So what is the point of more rez ? Spending more ? Impossibility to frame correctly ? Fun on screen ? Naaa it is just power usage. Some like to be power fools.

Your posts remind me of the ultimate trolling-you know-wolf in sheep's clothing.

Not sure where you live, BUT does anyone have a 3 person sofa in your area? Unless they put the sofa in the middle of the room, which most do not, then large prints are perfect for placement over sofas where many pros large prints end up. I know many pros who sell the majority of their large prints to homes where sofas are placed along a wall.

That being said, for the internet probably 2-4MP is more than enough and 8x10 or 5x7 prints might also work with those size sensors too, unless extreme cropping is needed.

I shoot weddings too man, but the new cameras are not just the same tech with higher res sensors. The AF in even the D750 is vastly more responsive than in the D700 (I shoot both simultaneously even now. 58/35 on a Hold Fast rig). Plus the lower noise at 3200-12,800 is pretty great at my receptions. Here in NYC it's dark dark dark, I'm enjoying the tech upgrades personally. Do I take advantage of all 25mp? Nah, but I do crop more freely. Even straightening a horizon could eat up a lot of resolution in a 12mp file sometimes. I don't print HUGE, but I do have an R3000, 13x19 printer. 11x14/13x19 is a great print size IMO. Big, but not a mural. A 12mp file can't even achieve 300dpi at 13x19, you need 20ish for that. My D750 slightly out resolves my max print size at 300dpi, that's the way I like it! Am I buying a GFX for weddings? No. I'm not getting one at all. I shoot 120 film for when I want 50-60mp files (from my scanner). But I'm glad the GFX exists. Maybe I'll get used one some day, or maybe my commercial work will take off. I see a lot more in the GFX than it's # of megapickles.