The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX System

iiiNelson

Just FYI for everyone:

EFC shutter confirmed up to 1/1000th of a second.

Electronic shutter confirmed to 1/32000th of a second.

Leaf shutter lenses will be available via GX645AF (Hasselblad H) adapter.

12 pin connection means that many more adapters are possible...perhaps that means Contax and Mamiya? Older 120 lenses would not require pins.

14bit not 16 bit.

http://www.fujirumors.com/the-fujif...egrove-co-at-the-fujifilm-gfx-facebook-group/

This thing appears to be a slam dunk, depending on how it really performs in the field. I think the X1D is a beautiful camera, but I personally would never consider it now.
I personally agree and the sample pictures that I've seen from the photographers that Fuji has chosen definitely do more for me to sell this camera to me than the X1D was. The irony is that I typically preferred the Hasselblad color and signature (and Leaf for that matter too) in the H series cameras when it comes to MF but this camera and lens combo seems to have character while still being technically proficient. I also love the multitude of aspect ratios that once can choose.

I'd love one right now but the wife says "I have to adult" right now. It's a definite on my list to buy later this year after our upcoming move happens. I'll probably sell of the Sony FE lenses that are duplicated (except the 55 FE and/or just buy the super zoom for vacation for the wife). Might just switch primarily to Fuji though for most stuff if/when I see flash support come together with remote triggers.

jdphoto

Just FYI for everyone:

Electronic shutter confirmed to 1/32000th of a second.

12 pin connection means that many more adapters are possible...perhaps that means Contax and Mamiya? Older 120 lenses would not require pins.

14bit not 16 bit.

http://www.fujirumors.com/the-fujif...egrove-co-at-the-fujifilm-gfx-facebook-group/

This thing appears to be a slam dunk, depending on how it really performs in the field. I think the X1D is a beautiful camera, but I personally would never consider it now.
Very cool.

jdphoto

I personally agree and the sample pictures that I've seen from the photographers that Fuji has chosen definitely do more for me to sell this camera to me than the X1D was. The irony is that I typically preferred the Hasselblad color and signature (and Leaf for that matter too) in the H series cameras when it comes to MF but this camera and lens combo seems to have character while still being technically proficient. I also love the multitude of aspect ratios that once can choose.

I'd love one right now but the wife says "I have to adult" right now. It's a definite on my list to buy later this year after our upcoming move happens. I'll probably sell of the Sony FE lenses that are duplicated (except the 55 FE and/or just buy the super zoom for vacation for the wife). Might just switch primarily to Fuji though for most stuff if/when I see flash support come together with remote triggers.
Agreed, much better PR for Fuji. I too, am kinda tied to my strobes. I get very high flash sync at full power with my A7Rii. I'd like the DOF for portraits with a MFD though.

Well gather ye H lenses because they'll fire on the GFX! Manual focus, but OTOH the EVF and focus peaking with make that a lot easier than it would be even on an H6. In a high speed sync situation that should suffice. I can only think of posed sport images that would require fast AF, but I would think you could prefocus those fairly easily, especially stopped down.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually the release of the Fuji GFX system is so liberating after seeing all the B...S... coming from Leica with their new M10 .....

Hulyss Bowman

Just FYI for everyone:

Electronic shutter confirmed to 1/16000th of a second.

14bit not 16 bit.

The Fujifilm GFX Facts & Specs Updated… + Join Damien Lovegrove & Co at the Fujifilm GFX Facebook Group! – Fuji Rumors

It was clear before release. It is a slam Dunk, Fuji can't make fake promises.

For the ones who do not know, when the XD1 was unveiled last year, I immediately asked for a test unit before buying. In the same day I got the Hassy CEO of my country on the phone ... told me no problem you'll have a unit in September, one of my salesman will re-contact you blablablabla. Just lies. Still waiting and do not care any-more.

I can't trust a company who lie like this and oversale products because of economic emergency.

With the Fuji you'll have access to it in time, no lies, no doubts, no prototype firmware no false marketed hype.

Amen.

marc aurel

I have been waiting for a long time for an affordable medium format system for my architectural photography. So I am quite excited about the Fuji GFX. But in the current state it still does not work for architecture. So - what future possibilieties does the GFX offer for tilt-shift shooters? What would we need to have a capable system with all the necessary focal lengths?

1. The announced adapter plate for view cameras (http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/others/#vca) will only work for longer focal lengths. The grip of the GFX has some depth and would interfere with the adapter plate, so the adapter plate will have to have to have around 40mm or so distance to the sensor. So view camera lenses with wider focal lengths won't work because they are very close to the sensor.

2. The adapter for Hasselblad HC lenses is a great start, but it does not allow movements. BUT - if I was Cambo or Arca or Alpa, I would take the adapter apart and use the electronics (or ask Fuji if I can order it seperately from them). They could use that and combine that with their view cameras like Cambo Actus or Arca F-Universalis. Or even their pancake cameras like the Cambo WRS. They would need a cable connection between camera side and lens side of their view camera. Compard to the solution both Cambo and Arca have developed with their lens boards for Canon lenses this would have a big advantage: they could control aperture directly, from the camera, they have exif data in the files. Would be amazing. The HC 35mm would be about 28mm (in 35mm equivalent values) the HC 50mm about 40mm.

3. That are the widest usable Hasselblad lenses as far as I know - the wider ones have a smaller image circle and would not allow movements on the Fuji. So - what are the choices for wider focal lengths that I definitely need for my architectural work?

4. There are other great 645-system lenses that would work. Contax 645 or others, but the widest focal lengths are usually 35mm. Only the Phase One has an 28mm, but as far as I know it’s not that great on the outer parts of the image circle.

5. The Canon TS-Es have an image circle that allows for some movements - not as much as on the smaller sensor of a Canon full frame camera, but enough for most use cases. The TS-E 24mm L II would become a 19mm equivalent (in 35mm terms) on the GFX, the TS-E 17mm a 14mm equivalent. You could use the Canon TS-Es with a Cambo Actus or Arca Universalis. But the problem is the grip of the GFX which is quite deep. I combined product photos (scaled to the same size) to check this. Look at the attachments. It will work with the Cambo Actus with camera in landscape orientation, but not in portrait orientation. With the Arca Universalis it will probably not work at all, because the Arca lens board is wider (definiteyl not with portrait orientation). So to be able to use the TS-Es on view cameras Cambo or Arca would have to redesign their Canon lens boards. Should be possible.

6. What I would prefer is a smaller pancake camera like a narrower version of the Cambo Wide RS. Narrower beacuse it should not interfere with the camera grip. That would be the most amazing solution.

Regards -
Marc

Attachments

I have been waiting for a long time for an affordable medium format system for my architectural photography. So I am quite excited about the Fuji GFX. But in the current state it still does not work for architecture. So - what future possibilieties does the GFX offer for tilt-shift shooters? What would we need to have a capable system with all the necessary focal lengths?
Looks like you are not only working in a specialized field, but doing so in a very specialized way. I think it's pretty reasonable that Fuji won't have a mature tech camera solution available at launch, most of their users will be perfectly happy with the native glass working in a native way. But the mere fact that they have a view-camera adapter plate at all shows they're aware of the needs of users like you. I would imagine once they get all of their announced lenses out and shipping they can focus on things like T/S adapters or lenses. That 23/4 they're releasing will be a fabulous wide, and you'll probably hate to hear this but there are always digital corrections to tide you over while you wait. OTOH, if they're not offering what you want, it's probably not worth trying to force the circle into the triangle hole. Hopefully they'll have some solutions for you soon.

Hulyss Bowman

Worrier snip !
Fuji launch a plateform. Do you think they forgot the "architecture" crowd ? I do not think so. Adaptation of medium format body on LF platforms isn't, imho, the first priority of fuji (or any brand). People who will want to adapt a camera like the GFX on LF aren't legion, at all. Marginal at best.

Pretty sure Fuji will provide a solution in the future (like native TS lenses or TS adapter).

EDIT: posted at the same time as Speedgraphic ;)

It was clear before release. It is a slam Dunk, Fuji can't make fake promises.

For the ones who do not know, when the XD1 was unveiled last year, I immediately asked for a test unit before buying. In the same day I got the Hassy CEO of my country on the phone ... told me no problem you'll have a unit in September, one of my salesman will re-contact you blablablabla. Just lies. Still waiting and do not care any-more.

I can't trust a company who lie like this and oversale products because of economic emergency.

With the Fuji you'll have access to it in time, no lies, no doubts, no prototype firmware no false marketed hype.

Amen.
Wellllll as much as I am a fan of this system, and I am! I would point out that the XPro1 was pretty dang beta. It was quickly surpassed by later releases and had frequent firmware updates to address it's many many flaws. The same was true of the X100. Fuji just did a great job of marketing the fact that their cameras were released early by calling it "Kaizen" and that it's a good thing. Your average Nikon or Canon is generally released with rock solid firmware that rarely sees major overhaul. The XTrans sensor has been an abject failure in nearly every way, and one that seems completely pointless in retrospect. If they would have stuck with simple bayer filters few would have complained about the rare moire effect, especially when the alternative is photos that poor demosiac with Adobe software and throw out all the detail their lenses are capable of rendering.

As far as the X1D, I think it's pretty clear from the design choices they've made that its just not intended to be used by professionals on the job. It's too beautiful and too dear. That's fine, no problem there! Basically the same difference between a Rolleiflex and a Hasselblad (I say that as a Rolleiflex user). Everything about the GFX to me says, this is a tool for getting jobs done. Nothing about it smacks of luxury, and it won't look good when paired with the leather interior of a Mercedes. I personally think there is a place for both in this world. Fine photos will be made with either one, and years from now people will still be using them for their own reasons.

Fuji does seem to have a reassuring plan here though. And their color science combined with that Sony sensor should be an incredible combination.

Any billionaires in this thread want to make a charitable contribution to a lowly middle-class photographer from New England? You won't even see it as a rounding error on your budget sheets. :p

Shashin

1. The announced adapter plate for view cameras (http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/others/#vca) will only work for longer focal lengths. The grip of the GFX has some depth and would interfere with the adapter plate, so the adapter plate will have to have to have around 40mm or so distance to the sensor. So view camera lenses with wider focal lengths won't work because they are very close to the sensor.
Why do you have to mount a view camera lens to the view camera? Why not a medium-format lens? A 40mm Hasselblad lens would have a large image circle. It would not be hard to take the flange off the adapter and make your own adapter to a small view camera like the Actus. There might even be a third party Canon to Fuji adapter. Novoflex might make an adapter to their bellow system. This is early days.

Some more good info!
  1. "New Super Fine JPEG Mode which offers very little compression which can be 25MB
  2. One of the reasons for using focal plain shutter was to reduce the price of GF lenses
  3. There is an Electronic Shutter that lets you shoot wide open at 1/16,000 a second
  4. There is an Electronic First Curtain Shutter that reduces the lag time of shooting, but when shooting faster than 1/1,000 a second you can have vignetting and bokeh can be affected.
  5. The Sub Monitor is reversible and customizable so you can make it make it black on white or white on black in addition to changing what it displays 128 x 128 pixel.
  6. The body is 825g with battery and memory card
  7. 425 AF Points 17×25 (More than the Fujifilm X-T2)
  8. 117 AF Point 9×13 grid is also an option, which we reported earlier
  9. AF points can follow orientation
  10. There is Face/Eye Detect
  11. Rapid AF mode that prioritizes AF over accuracy
  12. Touch Screen – you can drag the AF point if you don’t like the nub. You can also pinch to zoom or double tap.
  13. 1.8 or 3fps depending if electronic first-curtain shutter is enabled (8 shots uncompressed 13 losslessly compressed back to back)
  14. The battery grip only takes one extra battery
  15. Two extra magnification factors when manually focusing
  16. You can create TIFF 8-bit files in camera out of your RAWs
  17. You can bracket up to 9 frames now in 1/3 increments up to 3 stops and you can change the sequence they are taken
  18. 3.69 million dot OLED finder (0.85x magnification) -4 to +2 diopte
  19. 2.36 million dot rear LCD
  20. Ultrasonic dust removal system finally
  21. 256-zone metering system
  22. 60 minutes max exposure
  23. H.264/MPEG-4 AVC compression, 48KHz linear PCM stereo audio, Full HD movies at 36Mbps bitrate with a max clip length of 30 minutes.
  24. 14-bit RAW
  25. Both Slot are UHS-II
  26. 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi with GPS via your phone which never works right sadly
  27. Battery should be good for 400 shots
  28. Shutter should be good for 150,000 shots
  29. The H mount adapter lets you use the lens shutter up to 1/800 sec.
  30. You can tether with the current tethering software
  31. Low light focusing is slow, but accurate and manual focusing is slow because you can turn the focus ring a lot. (Maybe they can do a FW update so you can adjust manual focus speed.)
  32. Multiple reports that HSS should work with EF-X500 so I invested wisely…
  33. 12,800 ISO is usable and 6,400 doesn’t need grain reduction!
  34. One photographer compared AF speed to the Fujifilm X-T1, which would be amazing!
  35. Shipping February 23rd

Source: http://fujiaddict.com/2017/01/19/things-we-learned-about-the-gfx-last-night/

marc aurel

Looks like you are not only working in a specialized field, but doing so in a very specialized way. I think it's pretty reasonable that Fuji won't have a mature tech camera solution available at launch, most of their users will be perfectly happy with the native glass working in a native way. But the mere fact that they have a view-camera adapter plate at all shows they're aware of the needs of users like you. I would imagine once they get all of their announced lenses out and shipping they can focus on things like T/S adapters or lenses. That 23/4 they're releasing will be a fabulous wide, and you'll probably hate to hear this but there are always digital corrections to tide you over while you wait. OTOH, if they're not offering what you want, it's probably not worth trying to force the circle into the triangle hole. Hopefully they'll have some solutions for you soon.
You're right. Architectural photographers are a very very small minority. Dozens of excellent f1.4-primes and excellent f2.8-zooms were brought to market in the last years, but nearly no tilt-shift lenses. And my needs are indeed special - I like to compose my image in the viewfinder. I won't work with digital corrections in post. Others work with digital backs and view cameras. But they are extremely expensive and I find the digital backs a hassle to use and very slow. That's why I have been looking for other options. And the GFX could bring some. I have some hope because the GFX looks like such a well thought out product and Fuji seems to think in terms of a whole ecosystem.
We'll see.

Last edited:
The XT-1 AF apparently is very slow compared to that of the XT-2.
From my experience with both, the XT-1's AF was fast and accurate for a mirrorless camera. The XT2 is even faster and even more accurate. If the claim that the GFX has the same basic quality AF system as the XT-1, it will then by default have the best AF system for any medium format camera ever made. Just some perspective there.

V

Vivek

From my experience with both, the XT-1's AF was fast and accurate for a mirrorless camera. The XT2 is even faster and even more accurate. If the claim that the GFX has the same basic quality AF system as the XT-1, it will then by default have the best AF system for any medium format camera ever made. Just some perspective there.
How do you arrive at the "best AF for any medium format camera" from XT1/2 AF experience?