The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX System

How do you arrive at the "best AF for any medium format camera" from XT1/2 AF experience?
I have XT1, XT2, Pentax 645D/Z, Hasselblad Hxx, and Phase One XF experience. Both the Fuji's have better AF systems than any available medium format AF system made today. This is actually pretty obvious, Phase and Hasselblad have failed to even add multi-point AF systems to their cameras.

V

Vivek

I have XT1, XT2, Pentax 645D/Z, Hasselblad Hxx, and Phase One XF experience. Both the Fuji's have better AF systems than any available medium format AF system made today. This is actually pretty obvious, Phase and Hasselblad have failed to even add multi-point AF systems to their cameras.
Thanks. Not convincing to me as the DSLRs (including the Leica S) have PDAF.
That going against the CDAF of XTs- is it faster or more accurate or both?

Thanks. Not convincing to me as the DSLRs (including the Leica S) have PDAF.
That going against the CDAF of XTs- is it faster or more accurate or both?
Both the XT1 & 2 have on sensor PDAF. The GFX will have CDAF only, but cameras like the SL have shown that having CDAF doesn't always mean having slow AF. You lose great tracking though, that's for sure. OTOH CDAF is extremely accurate generally, which is important for a 50mp camera. Nikon's and Canon's have faster AF than mirrorless cameras, even those with PDAF. The Leica S's, Hasselblads, Phase cams, and Pentax cams do not. Pentax has the best of the mirrored AF systems because it has multi points, but given that multipoint system was taken from their APS-C line up, the spread is laughably small. None of the above out-perform the original XT-1 in any way. It's not magic, and it's no D5 or 1DX, but there were few situations in which the camera would simply fail or frustrate you.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Both the XT1 & 2 have on sensor PDAF. The GFX will have CDAF only, but cameras like the SL have shown that having CDAF doesn't always mean having slow AF. You lose great tracking though, that's for sure. OTOH CDAF is extremely accurate generally, which is important for a 50mp camera. Nikon's and Canon's have faster AF than mirrorless cameras, even those with PDAF. The Leica S's, Hasselblads, Phase cams, and Pentax cams do not. Pentax has the best of the mirrored AF systems because it has multi points, but given that multipoint system was taken from their APS-C line up, the spread is laughably small. None of the above out-perform the original XT-1 in any way. It's not magic, and it's no D5 or 1DX, but there were few situations in which the camera would simply fail or frustrate you.
Shooting both Nikon (D810) and Fuji (XT2) I only can say the XT2 feels as fast as the D810 in almost all AF modes. Sometimes I think it is even faster. And AFC if setup correctly is stunning anyway.

iiiNelson

Man I always love these system brochures. Look at the design of that 63mm, that ain't no Planar derivative!

AND THAT XPAN MODE GOD DANNNNGGGGGGGGGGG
The various crops were announced at Photokina and were a big part of my interest in this system. One can still get sufficiently large images and various equivalent widths with all of the cropped modes.

The various crops were announced at Photokina and were a big part of my interest in this system. One can still get sufficiently large images and various equivalent widths with all of the cropped modes.
I wonder if you can shoot video in 24x65, that would be pretty rad.

algrove

2. The adapter for Hasselblad HC lenses is a great start, but it does not allow movements. BUT - if I was Cambo or Arca or Alpa, I would take the adapter apart and use the electronics (or ask Fuji if I can order it seperately from them). They could use that and combine that with their view cameras like Cambo Actus or Arca F-Universalis. Or even their pancake cameras like the Cambo WRS. They would need a cable connection between camera side and lens side of their view camera. Compard to the solution both Cambo and Arca have developed with their lens boards for Canon lenses this would have a big advantage: they could control aperture directly, from the camera, they have exif data in the files. Would be amazing. The HC 35mm would be about 28mm (in 35mm equivalent values) the HC 50mm about 40mm.

Marc
Any idea of how to make the conversion from HC lenses to GFX? Initially I had assumed my HC lenses would convert 1:1, but now I believe maybe not.

Any idea of how to make the conversion from HC lenses to GFX? Initially I had assumed my HC lenses would convert 1:1, but now I believe maybe not.
Depends on the camera you're using. It's got a 44x33 chip. If you shoot with the H5D-50c, it's 1:1. Not so if you shoot with the H6D-100c, or a "full frame" 645 camera. It's a 1.3x crop factor from 645 basically.

iiiNelson

Just spoke with a friend a couple hours ago that got to test the GFX 50S for a few weeks behind the scenes (that he could say much about because of NDA).

In his words "it's almost perfect" and this is a person that is extremely hard to impress about pretty much anything. He is mostly a Red Cinema and Phase One shooter but he does shoot some 35mm systems on occasion as well. He's likely to purchase a GFX when he can because it's THAT good according to him.

So that's an independent opinion of praise which just about seals the deal for me. I'd still like to try a X1D but I need to see more lenses and feel better about their place as a company.

algrove

Depends on the camera you're using. It's got a 44x33 chip. If you shoot with the H5D-50c, it's 1:1. Not so if you shoot with the H6D-100c, or a "full frame" 645 camera. It's a 1.3x crop factor from 645 basically.
I was asking about using an HC HB lens with adapter on the GFX. So does that mean a 150 HC lens would be a 195mm when used on the GFX?

algrove

Just spoke with a friend a couple hours ago that got to test the GFX 50S for a few weeks behind the scenes (that he could say much about because of NDA).

In his words "it's almost perfect" and this is a person that is extremely hard to impress about pretty much anything. He is mostly a Red Cinema and Phase One shooter but he does shoot some 35mm systems on occasion as well. He's likely to purchase a GFX when he can because it's THAT good according to him.

So that's an independent opinion of praise which just about seals the deal for me. I'd still like to try a X1D but I need to see more lenses and feel better about their place as a company.
Will the H adapter be useful for you where you can sync at 1/800 with HC lenses?

iiiNelson

I was asking about using an HC HB lens with adapter on the GFX. So does that mean a 150 HC lens would be a 195mm when used on the GFX?
No it'll still be about a 118mm equivalent on the GFX the same as it would on the H6D-50. They have the same sensor sizes. The only lenses that are "different" are the HCD lenses that only have image circles large enough to cover the cropped MF sensors (like the 44x33 ones) and not the full frame MF ones.

iiiNelson

Will the H adapter be useful for you where you can sync at 1/800 with HC lenses?
Maybe in the short term but in reality I don't want to adapt lenses as I just need for a Fuji controller to be released for my lighting system. Depending on the speed of the lenses that come down the line for Fuji I may want to continue with Fuji glass for consistent signature in look across focal lengths.

That would seal the deal. I don't really need leaf shutters necessarily (I've gone without them for this long) or TTL if the lights can sync to 1/4000th of a second at any power level available.

algrove

Maybe in the short term but in reality I don't want to adapt lenses as I just need for a Fuji controller to be released for my lighting system. Depending on the speed of the lenses that come down the line for Fuji I may want to continue with Fuji glass for consistent signature in look across focal lengths.

That would seal the deal. I don't really need leaf shutters necessarily (I've gone without them for this long) or TTL if the lights can sync to 1/4000th of a second at any power level available.
Well, if that's the case one might as well get the GF 120 macro lens which has IOS, AF and is Fuji glass and has LM and WR. The HC lens looks like a goner if I get the GFX system.