The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX System

Puma Cat

I think Phase has a huge reason to support the GFX and other MF cameras... Specifically entry level ones. Phase is never going to offer a fully featured sub-$10K camera as a new model. In some manner they will always cripple the budget model beyond sensor size and capability which is why people look at Pentax, Leica (now), Fuji (now), and Hasselblad. Most will never be able to justify or afford a $25k+ digital back or the $20K+ that you'd need to build a full kit but there are those that can make just enough of a sacrifice to afford an entry level model that does most things very well and allows one to shoot in just about any condition that advanced 35mm systems can shoot in as it applies to available light. Also some just don't want to be tied to Adobe or a subscription.
Just announced today that the GFX will have Capture One support...if true, you may get your wish after all! Great new if it is true (and I expect it is...)

DB5

Has there been any comment about Fuji making a larger sensored full frame 645 camera at some point as part of the GFX family?

algrove

I have heard something about their lenses being designed for 100MP and beyond, but that is only an inference. So who knows. Just like C1 support. Who knows. I heard Arias in a video tell someone NOT to put on the internet what some Fuji representative said. That even means he does believe it until it actually happens since he uses C1 with his Phase. Of course some person put it on the internet anyway.

If no C1 support I just might cancel my pre-order as I do not want to go back to LR and Adobe with their "we will charge you by the month for the rest of your life" approach.

k-hawinkler

I have heard something about their lenses being designed for 100MP and beyond, but that is only an inference. So who knows. Just like C1 support. Who knows. I heard Arias in a video tell someone NOT to put on the internet what some Fuji representative said. That even means he does believe it until it actually happens since he uses C1 with his Phase. Of course some person put it on the internet anyway.

If no C1 support I just might cancel my pre-order as I do not want to go back to LR and Adobe with their "we will charge you by the month for the rest of your life" approach.
Lou, I hear you. Have you tried Iridient?
They seem always among the first to support a new camera.
IMHO their raw conversions are top notch, their user interface easy to figure out.
I have settled on C1, but use Iridient if C1 doesn't support a camera or feature.
But so far I have not worked with Fuji raw files.

algrove

K-H
I love using C1, but have not tried Irident. I did buy ON1 on a whim just in case Fuji files work there.

My XT2 files are great to process in C1. Let's trust easy processing of GFX files comes true.

algrove

Can one assume the Fotodoix Mamiya 645 adapter for the GFX will handle Phase One S-K lenses excluding AF needs?

vjbelle

I've downloaded some of the raw files and processed them in RT. I'm familiar with the sensor and have great expectations for the camera itself but its the lenses that need to be ready for the task. Everything I downloaded was shot with the 63mm. Some images at f4 and one at f6.8. I'm basically looking for focus consistency which seems to be fairly even across the frame. I didn't see any decentering which would be fairly easy to spot. I did see some edge softening - even at f6.8. I would expect the image to be crisp across the frame at that aperture. The softening wasn't drastic but was visible.

Victor

algrove

Thanks never seen it in use as I never heard of it before. So why use it? No other RAW converters can do the same thing?

vjbelle

Its the only raw converter that I know of that can process a GFX file. Of course, that will all change.

Victor

iiiNelson

I believe On1 Photo RAW 2017 can process GFX files. Over the last couple of weeks I've sort of cooled down on my GFX excitement. I'm still interested in it somewhat but I want to see what the next generation of cameras will bring to the fold.

It might end up being that I decide to skip the GFX due to there being a lot of unknowns for me still. Mainly which flash options will I have? What's the roadmap beyond the initial 6 lenses? Are we going to see more f/2 primes beyond the 110mm because as it stands the only lens I'd buy today would be the zoom until the 23mm and 110mm are released. Is Sony going to get into the MF mix with a BSI 44x33 sensor? If so I will stay put in the Sony ecosystem.

algrove

I believe On1 Photo RAW 2017 can process GFX files. Over the last couple of weeks I've sort of cooled down on my GFX excitement. I'm still interested in it somewhat but I want to see what the next generation of cameras will bring to the fold.

It might end up being that I decide to skip the GFX due to there being a lot of unknowns for me still. Mainly which flash options will I have? What's the roadmap beyond the initial 6 lenses? Are we going to see more f/2 primes beyond the 110mm because as it stands the only lens I'd buy today would be the zoom until the 23mm and 110mm are released. Is Sony going to get into the MF mix with a BSI 44x33 sensor? If so I will stay put in the Sony ecosystem.
I bought ON1 in hopes it would process GFX RAWs.

Lens-wise we are about on the same track, except due to the 120 & zoom coming out sooner than the 110 I will get the 120 and the 25-64 zoom as starters picking up the 23 next. The rendering of a 120 macro and 110 should be further apart in character than the FL numbers indicate. Having shifted to the XT2 from Leica I find the system much easier to use, just about no lag whatsoever and prices palatable. Thus, that XT2 decision has inched me toward the GFX system which I can probably get into using with ease. Also the GFX will be a backup system to my MF system. If that Fotodiox adapter really does adapt 645 S-K Phase lenses, alibeit with MF only, that will still be a huge plus for me. Sure smart adapters might come, down the road, but for now just being able to adapt is a plus.

algrove

Just a quick note to let GFX owners that the Fotodoix M645 adapter to the GFX does not fit recent Mamiya lenses. It has three dfiiferent sized bayonets cut into it and upon calling Fotodiox they admit that it was designed for older Mamiya lenses, not newer ones.

Quentin_Bargate

SilkyPix supports the GFX. If you are not used to it, it may seem a little weird, but it is actually quite good, and essential if you also shoot pixel shift files with a Pentax K1. Adobe will add support later this week.

The 120mm macro is excellent. No CA to speak of, and while it is "only" F4, it is great for studio product / food work etc as well as portraits - and it is has optical image stabilisation, which I don't think the upcoming 110mm will have.

Best of all, it looks and feels like a regular DSLR. Joy of joys, you can change the aperture on the lens. Call me old fashioned, but that make a difference to me.

Collect the 32- 64mm this Friday. Very impressed so far and happy to again be a Fuji shooter.

Charles2

So why use it?
Yes, RT is Raw Therapee, a donation-only processing program. I start almost all my Fuji X .RAF files with it. The exposure, brightness, and color controls give you marvelous precision. The sharpening with the RL Deconvolution method does a great job without putting halos around things.

You can see a 100 percent crop from a GFX raw file developed in RT here. Note the threads of the off-white rope:
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/716/33112570085_8ea316042b_o.jpg