The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monument Valley B&W Special

woodyspedden

Guy

The image you have here was taken while we were on a workshop with you. If you remember I was standing very close by with my D3X and the Zeiss 100mm lens........a very capable 35mm system.

I post my image here because I think it is valuable to compare the best (or very nearly so) 35mm to your Phase system. It shows for sure that the dynamic range of your system is greater than the D3X (which is not shabby) and the range of tonalities superior as well.

Hope you don't mind that I showed this comparison. If so, just delete it and I won't be offended

Best

Woody Spedden

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No I think it is great Woody thanks for posting that. MF is pretty special looking but the D3X looks pretty good.

Ben Rubinstein

The difference seems more Guy's processing to be honest. In both Guy's and Jack's B&W images we see a tonal range 'look' which is very much the look of a specific take on the processing. I'd assumed this but when I saw the colour version I knew it for sure. The ability to stretch the tones from one end of a contrasty histogram to the other but still maintain even, uniform and gradual tonal transitions is a talent which they share and aparently teach as well on the workshops.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Ben and you are correct , we are very good at raw processing and printing to be honest. This is what we teach. Okay I am blushing now

woodyspedden

The difference seems more Guy's processing to be honest. In both Guy's and Jack's B&W images we see a tonal range 'look' which is very much the look of a specific take on the processing. I'd assumed this but when I saw the colour version I knew it for sure. The ability to stretch the tones from one end of a contrasty histogram to the other but still maintain even, uniform and gradual tonal transitions is a talent which they share and aparently teach as well on the workshops.
Hey Ben

I have no doubt about Guy and Jack's abilities having been on three workshops with them. So it may be more meaningful as a comparison to have Guy work on my raw file to get it to his standards and then compare to the AFD he was using that day. I submit this only because it is rare that you have two photographers, working with their favorite gear, shooting beside each other in the same light on the same day at the same time. Given the price difference between the two systems, if the D3X + 100mm gets really close to the Phase system it would open up a new way for budget constrained photographers to get very close to the big boys

JMHO

Woody Spedden

Guy Mancuso

Love to have the Raw . Btw Terry and Woody are the only ones that went to that area to shoot that. I saw that shot from the road and turned the whole entourage around to go get it. I was driving and scouting bad combination. LOL

Terry

Love to have the Raw . Btw Terry and Woody are the only ones that went to that area to shoot that. I saw that shot from the road and turned the whole entourage around to go get it. I was driving and scouting bad combination. LOL
I had too long a lens on the camera and had to do the shot as a multi shot stitch. Guy, waited and got the light to behave perfectly. I can tell you side by side the MF files are much nicer than my A900 files from the same scene. Post processing or no post processing.

woodyspedden

Ben

I have done some additional raw converter work and what follows is the result. I believe the additional tonality achieved by Guy is due in part at least to the 16bit conversion depth. The 14 bit files show less subtle transitions. I may be wrong about this but I am now working almost exclusivity with the S2 and this is one of the areas I see very noticeable improvements (along with better dynamic range etc)

So I am finished as this is about as good as I can get the file. I hope Guy will allow me to send him the raw file to see what he can get from his methods and from developing in Capture One (This one of mine was developed in Lightroom 3.2)

All the best

Woody

woodyspedden

How you getting along with s2 . Love to see some shots. That cam should fit you well
Guy

I love the S2. It does indeed fit me well.

Sadly at this point I only have the 70mm. I am looking forward to getting the 35 (should be real soon) and the 120 to complete my kit. I also have a third party adapter for V lenses to the body and I am shooting my 100 2.0 with that setup. Very nice to have this option while waiting for the lenses from Leica.

I am going to send you the raw file from Church Rock so you can have a go with it.

Best

Woody

Guy Mancuso

My print arrived today Guy and I want to echo Mike's comment.......it is a beautiful image and print! Really outstanding. It has a 3 dimensional look that I did not expect. Whether its from that 9 micron sensor, the optics or your processing and printing technique I don't know....but it's pretty darn amazing!

I've seen many fine prints over the past several years. Your print is right up there with the best of them.

I may not be the first, but I doubt I will be the last, to order one of these on the Exhibition Fiber paper also. PM on it's way to you soon.

Gary
Gary print on its way and a little color present for your wife is in there also. Enjoy

Guy Mancuso

BTW I have 4 more in this series with either paper choice. Folks trust me you need one of these prints. The quality is amazing

Ben Rubinstein

I want to see what you do with Woody's file, rather interested in seeing the difference between a D3X and a MF back if it's apparent even in such small web jpgs.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I want to see what you do with Woody's file, rather interested in seeing the difference between a D3X and a MF back if it's apparent even in such small web jpgs.
Using C1 would in itself make a huge difference: it's simply not the best tool for the D3X's files. In fact, short of highly tuned custom profiles, it consistently does a terrible job compared to either NX2 or LR/ACR.

(note: which is not true with D700 // D3 // D2X files)

Anyhow, Guy's job on his original photo is terrific, and not only as far as post processing goes. It's a beautiful photo, and the print looks absolutely awesome. :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Got it and I will start a thread on it once I get them all ready. I will do default look and than final on both

bensonga

Gary print on its way and a little color present for your wife is in there also. Enjoy
Thanks Guy! Really looking forward to seeing this image on Exhibition Fiber and I KNOW my wife will enjoy seeing one of your color prints. I do very little color printing myself.....which now and then, she laments.

Gary