The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Frank Petronio Print for Week of October 3, 2010 "Shannon at Lilydale"

Frank Petronio

Not Available
Frank Petronio Print for Week of October 3, 2010 "Shannon at Lilydale". This week's image is of Shannon Kramp, floating in the pond at Lilydale, New York, done with an 8x10 camera using a 10" Commercial Ektar.

Other photographers seem to be my biggest audience so I've decided to offer GetDPI members one print selection per week at a 50% discount from my usual $300 direct price.

The print selection will cost $150 plus shipping ($9 domestic or $27 international) paid via PayPal. Rest assured these are good looking black-and-white and color gallery-quality Epson inkjet prints that have received many compliments from and "fooled" many respectable analog photographers. They are most often 11x14-, 11x15.4-, or 9x13.5-inch images printed from a Harrington RIP on to 13x19 Harman FB Gloss inkjet paper. I "sign" the prints with a small, subtle yet legible typeset signature. The B&W print color is a warm neutral without any metamerism but with a slight bronzing when the print is viewed from an low oblique angle. Of course I can make smaller prints on request but I won’t charge any less as the material costs are minimal and the cost of the print is really based on the content itself. I ship prints between two sheets of sturdy foamcore.

If you're interested in other prints from my portfolios please feel free to inquire and we can negotiate a reasonable group sale.

Please note that the best way to communicate with me is simply to email me directly at "f at frankpetronio dot com".

You can see more of my work at my weblog and gallery: http://frankpetronio.com and my extended portfolios (in Flash!): http://www.frankpetronio.net

Frank Petronio

Not Available
Most of the images on my sites are available and I'll honor this price for GetDPI forum members.

But I won't hold my breath for you guys, sheesh live and learn ;-)

MoJo

Registred Users
Most of the images on my sites are available and I'll honor this price for GetDPI forum members.

But I won't hold my breath for you guys, sheesh live and learn ;-)

Frank, that image is lovely. what do you mean by the above, btw?

-Josef

Frank Petronio

Not Available
I've had zero response here so far, wheras I sell prints regularly to RFF and LFinfo members. So I probably won't continue to offer weekly prints since my subject matter doesn't seem to appeal to this audience.

No harm done, live and let live - thanks

MoJo

Registred Users
Thanks for the explanation. this touches on a topic that i have wrestled with..... someday i will post about it. In a nutshell, most photogs are not collectors, and don't usually buy other photographers work. Ask any photo gallery owner - several major ones here in santa fe.....will tell you the fotogs go to the openings en masse, but NEVER buy anything. I personally think it is sad and pathetic, but like i said, that is for a future topic.

I don't usually buy because i have been broke, (full-time freelance fine art photographer), and are always scrambling for funds...... so i trade art alot with other artists.

but look how many people are on the gear for sale forums, usually 40-60 most times, lucky if there is 1 perusing the gallery.

anyway, that shannon photo is incredible..... truly, it is idiotic you haven't sold any.

btw i haven't sold any either........the posting by cindy referring to my photo was a gift photo i sent her because one of the old cameras she bought from the estate had a fault.

-Josef

Frank Petronio

Not Available
It's OK, to each there own, I buy and sell gear pretty often myself. I had to stop trading with photographers because so many had pictures I didn't really care about and it got to be a huge hassle -- it felt like I hurt their feelings if I didn't gush all over something that was only mediocre. So I tried selling very inexpensive prints for about six months, figuring that it was good to get them out and into real people's collections, but then I found that cheap prints aren't valued very much. I think the pricing for an unknown like myself is about right at $150 to $300, enough that most Middle Class people can afford it but also steep enough that they value it.

It would be interesting to build a collection of inexpensive but ~good~ photography from the various online sources. I bet if you chose wisely, in time - 50 years or so - it would outperform the "popular" market. Or at least you'd have a nice collection for a few thousand bucks.

Leigh

I think the pricing for an unknown like myself is about right at $150 to $300
Frank, I hope you'll take the following as a constructive comment, as intended.

I looked at this print when you first posted it. I think your $150 price is waaaay too high.

I'm a photographer, and I've purchased a number of prints through this gallery, so I'm not speaking as an outsider.

Just something to consider.

Good luck.

- Leigh

Last edited:

Terry

Frank, I hope you'll take the following as a constructive comment, as intended.

I looked at this print when you first posted it. I think your $150 price is waaaay too high.

I'm a photographer, and I've purchased a number of prints through this gallery, so I'm not speaking as an outsider.

Just something to consider.

Good luck.

- Leigh
I'm going to disagree and really don't think pricing is out of line.

Leigh

I'm going to disagree and really don't think pricing is out of line.
I submit that a "reasonable" price is one on which the buyer and seller agree. Given that no prints have been sold at the asking price...

- Leigh

Last edited:

Terry

Then why haven't you purchased one?

- Leigh
I think it is a gorgeous shot but the reason I haven't bought it has nothing to with price.

Not that anyone needs my reasons but I'm working diligently on getting some of my own work printed up after moving cross country and not having my printer for a year. One I get that worked out I can evaluate where to put additional art.

I see you've now edited what you said in the above post.

Leigh

Anyone is free to negotiate a better price through a PM.
I thought the whole idea of a sale gallery was so everybody knew the price.

Stating a price, then making a deal in the back room to sell for less, rather defeats that goal, nicht war?

- Leigh

MoJo

Registred Users
Brooks Jensen of LensWork magazine has a whole rant/screed about print pricing in general, and thinks (small) prints should be about $20 or so..... He actually does this through his website, but....... 1. he has a market of thousands through LensWork, 2. he has like 4 assistants full-time working for him, and they do the printing, fufillment, etc. So his model works for him.

I prefer a more moderate approach, e.g. my prints offered here are 1/4 of gallery prices, they are roughly similar to Frank's. But if someone who is like me, with truly little funds, but loved my work, i always find some barter arrangement to work it out. I'd rather have my work out there and appreciated, than in my computer languishing.

MoJo

Registred Users
I submit that a "reasonable" price is one on which the buyer and seller agree. Given that no prints have been sold at the asking price...

- Leigh
Leigh, it has to do with the market. I have sold a number of portfolio boxes of my prints of scotland and ireland, for $4,000 or so. this wouldn't happen on this forum, because for the most part, these nice folks are not serious art collectors.

this is NOT a put-down, it is a different group of people. Most of the collectors are not photographers themselves, it is a different crowd, they wouldn't be on a forum like this.

I just hope to sell at least 1 print over the year here, to make my investment back in the gallery. I will be putting up some award-winning prints, i am curious to see what the response will be. Also may put up some small prints, say 5 x 7 image or 6.5 x 9 for a lesser price, to see what the response will be.

-Josef

Frank Petronio

Not Available
Thanks all. I do sell prints to other photographers, about two dozen different sales over the past year, you can do the math. But what I have learned here is that participation and personality played sometimes a larger role in those sales than the image quality itself. I am "known" on some other forums and there are several (if not many) regular followers of my blog... so having that connection makes the sales happen.

I have very little participation on this forum, I just never got into following it, so not as many people know me here. I figure that accounts for the lack of sales.

As for pricing, I am flexible and have experimented with different levels, from $40 to $300, and I've found $150 is a good place for me to be. I think if you give art away for nothing then people won't take care of it, it lowers your status, and it's a pain since even a $40 print still requires responsive care and handling. Of course I make exceptions, based on incomes and situations -- some of my models have dozens of prints in trade for instance.

Setting a moderate (or high) price also discourages the trading offers that people will often try to do. I don't want to insult people by not wanting to trade for something I don't care for, but when your prints are cheap, lots of people think their blurry pictures of rusty cars or tobacco barns are as desirable as yours are.

Finally, if all you know of my work is simple this one thread, then you probably won't buy my picture, even if you like it as an image. I may be relatively unknown but I am a dedicated, serious photographer with a decent body of work and a pretty substantial online presence. I'm actively showing my work to higher end clients and participating in quality shows, etc. and I think I have potential. If you snoop around and check out my stuff you may agree and decide that $150 for a print is a bargain ;-)

If not, it's only the internet, we move on, it doesn't matter....

Last edited: