The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: Canon EOS 50mm f1.2 L, as new in box

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This is one sweet lens! :thumbs: The AF Noctilux of the Canon world, and not much more needs to be said. I got this as part of an outfit purchase and this copy is very sharp wide open -- definitely an L lens! It is in pristine "Like New" shape and includes box, caps, case, hood and paperwork.

Asking $1350 shipped US OBO

PM me or email if interested, jack-at-getdpi-dot-com

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: FS: Canon EOS 50mm f1.2 L, as new in box

Hi Erik:

If I still shot M's, that lens would be on my short list. But alas...

I do have to say, that this Canon lens has a lot of juice and can certainly give Leica a run for their money in a 50!

Double Negative

Not Available

I have this lens, and it's a little unique among L lenses. Has a very nice character to it and really does perform. Great saturation and color, nice and sharp.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

That was fast, thought you were selling the Sigma for this one?
I was, but...

I've decided I want to get a 17 TSE, so by selling this 50 instead AND my 24 TSE ver i, I am a lot closer to being able to pay for that 17...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I have this lens, and it's a little unique among L lenses. Has a very nice character to it and really does perform. Great saturation and color, nice and sharp.
Agreed, this is a special lens! I love the look at f1.2, definitely L class contrast, great color and phenomenally sharp even at f1.2! But then there is an investment required to have all that, and I have other wants right now...

Double Negative

Not Available

Agreed, this is a special lens! I love the look at f1.2, definitely L class contrast, great color and phenomenally sharp even at f1.2! But then there is an investment required to have all that, and I have other wants right now...
I can totally understand that. :)

Good luck with the sale - she'll make someone very happy.

fotografz

Not to mention how flare resistant this lens is at f/1.2. One of the Canon greats.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

I bought this lens for my daughter Elizabeth (last Christmas) . She is an event photographer and uses a canon 5D. The analogy to the Noctilux is a good one. I shot the same images with her setup and my M8/noctilux. Both have slightly lower contrast and exceptional bokeh wide open....perfect for the lower key flattering light for portraits.

If you compare this to the best L zooms like the 24-70/2.8 or the 24-105/4 you will see a major improvement in your portraits ... I would love to use this lens on the street at night but I am no longer a Canon user. Nikon has nothing like this (new).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Folks the comments above are from pros who know what they're talking about -- this is one of Canon's all-time greats. I regret the need to sell it and will no doubt acquire another at some point in the future.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

A few folks wanted to see a shot with this lens at f1.2. So here is one, not the greatest image, just a quick, in-camera jpeg grab of some old roses in the kitchen a few hours ago:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Hi Ben:

I edited the first post to reflect the new price -- being an admin has its privileges :D. So right now it's $1350 shipped and paypal'd US -- which of course still includes AK :)

bensonga

As others have said.....the rendering of this lens from the few examples I've seen is really beautiful. So tempting. One of these days, I'm going to have to start selling stuff instead of always buying. How many 50mm lenses does one guy need? I suppose if I had this one, the answer would be obvious. :)

Unfortunately, there is also that great deal to be had on a new Epson 4880 until September 30th......damn.

Gary