The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Sinar 54 LV

Stuart Richardson

Asking 5000 for the back and the choice of either a Hy6 adapter, or an older style V mount adapter. I am located in Iceland, and I can ship the back from here, or I can send it back to the US with a family member who is visiting me and leaving for the US on October 16th. The back has very low use, but I am the second owner. The original owner bought it, used it for one or two shoots, then moved to a 75LV with the proceeds. I have had the back since then. I believe it still has at least a year and a half of warranty (Sinar warranty is 3 years).

This is a 22mp back that will fit on most medium format cameras with the right adapter. It's strengths are in its flexibility (many different cameras), 1.1x crop, resolution, dynamic range, 3gb internal storage, output in DNG if you use eXposure, and internally mounted batteries. Disadvantages would be the screen, less than straightforward workflow (until you learn it anyway), and fairly heavy battery consumption (though other MF backs probably consume similarly).

Medium format digital just did not work for me in the way that I expected. I found I liked shooting film more, and I am set up as a processing lab, so it is easy for me. Since I don't use it as much, I figured I would sell it to fund an M9. I am taking a big loss on this, I just want to get it sold quickly and for a fair price. I think 5000 for the back and one adapter is very cheap. I paid 10,000 for the back alone less than a year ago.

The back is in very good shape. There are a few small marks on the edges of the back -- the rubberized covering on the back is a bit delicate, and these came off when the zipper of my Billingham rubbed against it. The sensor glass is perfect, as is the screen. There are 3626 actuations, not that that adds any wear...

I have the case for it, but it is in the US. So I can have a friend ship it from the US if you want it right away, or you can wait for the back and they can ship together. I have a US paypal account for payment. I have done transactions with a number of people here and on other photo sites, and I think a number of people could vouch for me.

Here are some photos of the back:

Some shots with the back:

S

Shelby Lewis

Hey Stuart... good to talk to you again. Do you know, roughly, how much other back adapters cost. I'm getting into the mamiya system, and strangely enough... the 645 and rz67 cameras use a different mount.

The price you post is pretty compelling.

Stuart Richardson

The adapters retailed for quite a bit -- 1000-2000 dollars. You might be able to find one for less money if you search ebay and photo stores. That's why this deal is good, this back comes with an adapter plate for 5000.

PSon

I do have both the Mamiya 645 AFD + RZ67 adapters for Stuart's 54LV. I am interested in trading for two adapters: 1. Contax 645, and 2. Rollei 6008 adapters. If you have the Contax 645 and Rollei adapters I will trade one copy of my Mamiya 645 AFD and RZ67. I am also willing to sell it to support Stuart's digital back sale here at a reasonable cost, which is significantly cheaper than what was quoted above.

I do remember not too long ago Stuart purchased this digital back for a significantly greater price than what he is asking for here. Sadly this is a great lost on his part and you hate to see this happen to your fellow photographer. It was his purchase that stimulated me to buy my own Sinar 54LV version at a slightly higher price than his. I also took a great lost in selling it but I was able to upgrade to the 75LVr digital back which I still use and love it. Despite the original purchased price, at that time I felt like I got a great price for it and still do not regret my decision.

The Sinar back is one that has always been underestimated (see image below) for its capability and flexibility. The Leaf Aptus 22 is very similar to this Sinar 54LV and is very well respected. This back is a dalsa chip similar to the new Phase One digital backs. The LV stands for Live View which many older and new digital backs do not provide to the user. Thus, at $5K with an adapter is a great price.
Best Wishes,
-Son

Last edited:

PeterA

If I didnt already own a 75LV I would definately buy this back - it is great price. Sinars shading tech leaves teh rest of the back makers for dead if you are into landscape architecture available light shooting / technical camera adaption - the backs and Exposure software for white shading are the best.

This camera back and range of adaptors delivering multi system flexibility is extremely under rated.

Stuart Richardson

Thank you both for the support! I realize I am taking a large loss, but I had the misfortune of buying right before the economic crisis. That said, at the time it was a great deal. Last year this back retailed for over 20,000 USD. This is what has prevented me from selling it before. But now, I am starting my printing business here and have a lot of ancillary costs related to that, and I would also like to get an M9 around Christmas this year. That means I need to sell the things I am not using as much. And despite the resolution and sharpness, I always seem to reach for black and white film for my medium format work. At one point I did compare this back to Fuji Acros of the same image size, and to my astonishment, the back was sharper and had more resolution. I still prefer the look of film though, and old habits die hard.

David K

Workshop Member
Great back at an amazing price. Sorry you have to let this go Stuart but wish you the best with the printing business. Tough times call for tough choices...

Stuart Richardson

Bump. I would like to get this sold, and I am open to offers, but I think this is a very fair price. I figured I would bump it, before I put it on ebay at some point soon...