The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: 5D2 for 5D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE:

Okay, so the trade idea isn't working and I've decided to just sell this camera outright. Asking $2365 shipped US, payment by check or paypal, just add 3% to cover the PP fee. Also can be picked up in person in Los Altos, CA where you can take it away for $2325 CASH. Condition is LNIB and camera has less than 250 clicks.

PS: A few folks have asked for photos showing the condition...

Here y'all go:

~~~

Original trade post:

trade feeler...

I have a like new 5D MKii in box with all paperwork. It currently has 245 clicks on it. I am wanting a dedicated, full frame IR Canon. If I convert this one, I found out I lose the auto sensor clean, which was my main reason for considering it to begin with -- high def IR video might be interesting, but video is not my thing. A long explanation to get to the point: A 5D probably makes more sense to convert to a dedicated IR camera. So,

If you have a relatively clean 5D and would like to upgrade to a 5Dii, I am thinking I could trade your 5D plus on the order of $1500 cash (depending on conditions) for this LN 5Dii -- ???

PM or email me at jack-at-getdpi-dot-com if interested.

Thanks,

kdphotography

Re: FT: 5D2 for 5D

Yes, I knew that. But I thought she was all set with it?
She was. Then I let her shoot with my 5D II.

I let her know about your 5D II and wanting to convert a 5D to IR. I know she's tempted but don't know her resources.

It's her own fault. That's what you get when you help assist a Gear Slut!

:ROTFL:

Farnz

Not wishing to rock the boat, Jack, but wouldn't you be better off shooting IR with your M8? Once you've got your 093(?) IR-pass filter on your 5D's lens you won't be able to see anything through the vf to compose and focus will you? :eek:

Pete.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Not wishing to rock the boat, Jack, but wouldn't you be better off shooting IR with your M8? Once you've got your 093(?) IR-pass filter on your 5D's lens you won't be able to see anything through the vf to compose and focus will you? :eek:

Pete.
Hi Pete:

I totally would, but for my work I needed a fast DSLR outfit and the MF rig, so had to sell off all my M gear to fund those. If I still had the M8 and a few lenses, I would NOT be bothering with the Canon IR conversion...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

She was. Then I let her shoot with my 5D II.

I let her know about your 5D II and wanting to convert a 5D to IR. I know she's tempted but don't know her resources.

It's her own fault. That's what you get when you help assist a Gear Slut!

:ROTFL:
Oh man, now she's toast! :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Better off getting a ZD back with the IR filter but hey that is way too logical. Just switch backs in and out but if you want to struggle tall man who am I to give you some ****.:D

smokysun

jack, i have to confess, last nite in a moment of weakness i was going to sell you my ir converted. then i looked at these pics and thought the better of it: http://www.pbase.com/wwp/angelg i don't know why i haven't used it more this summer except i love small cameras. the results can be special and magical.

wayne

kdphotography

Better off getting a ZD back with the IR filter but hey that is way too logical. Just switch backs in and out but if you want to struggle tall man who am I to give you some ****.:D
...or better yet, wasn't there some guy in AZ (ha!) that had a P25+ that could be converted....which would be a step above the ZD option.

Scarier yet, Don and I were just having this conversation the other day...

:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

jack, i have to confess, last nite in a moment of weakness i was going to sell you my ir converted. then i looked at these pics and thought the better of it: http://www.pbase.com/wwp/angelg i don't know why i haven't used it more this summer except i love small cameras. the results can be special and magical.

wayne
Aw, c'mon Wayne... You know you won't use it, so sell it to me :ROTFL:

Seriously, I want to do the 665 conversion anyway so I can do false-color IR as well as mono. The 665 isn't quite as intense on the mono conversions as the full IR, but it is close, and I like the ability to do false color if/when wanted.

I am about 3 days from just saying screw it and sending this 5Dii in for conversion...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

...or better yet, wasn't there some guy in AZ (ha!) that had a P25+ that could be converted....which would be a step above the ZD option.

Scarier yet, Don and I were just having this conversation the other day...

:D
Actually, have already made an inquiry into either a P25 or P21 IR conversion. :D Great minds...

Don Libby

Just found this thread...

Chris has Sandy's older 5D for sale have you thought about that?

Ken's right - we've been talking about either a ZD or P25/P21 IR conversion and the Phase wins out over the ZD. The main question on the Phase back is the filter - can you get a 665?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Just found this thread...

Chris has Sandy's older 5D for sale have you thought about that?
Yes, I already talked to him, but he wants more for it than I want to spend and does NOT want my 5Dii :ROTFL:

Ken's right - we've been talking about either a ZD or P25/P21 IR conversion and the Phase wins out over the ZD. The main question on the Phase back is the filter - can you get a 665?
My thinking with the P back is to simply remove the IRUV cut filter so it is full spectrum. In this fashion, you could mount a UVIR cut over the lens and get back to a "normal" phase file -- now you have a back-up "normalized" color back :)D).

For IR, you could either just shoot it as-is, as it will be full IR plus visible for a look very similar too the 665. (In actuality, this is how Jim does IR captures with his Betterlight -- they are full spectrum, not just 665 IR.) Last option is a 665 cut filter over the lens, for the false color, which of course adds the option of using a 725 cut for full IR... So in summary, by going to full spectrum and having a series of filters, you have all the bases covered.

Lastly, the ZD back with the IRUV cut removed is full spectrum and not dedicated IR, so is also a decent back-up back that would work like the P above. It has the advantage of allowing for custom made filters to be user-installed over the sensor itself, a better option than over the lens we'd have to do wit the P backs.

HOWEVERBUTT, and here is the bigger nit for me: using a converted P or ZD back does NOT solve the focus shift issue -- so here you have to guess at focus and then hope or confirm by chimping. By contrast, a good dedicated IR conversion will adjust the camera's AF to work in the IR capture mode, so is significantly more convenient in the field...

Hence a very long explanation of why I am considering just converting the 5Dii!

Don Libby

I've just scratching the surface of what can be done with the 1DsII. The great thing with the conversion is the focus shift correction and you get to keep the speed. I've decided on using the 1DsII in December when I take a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. Just think - color infrared aerials of the canyon...

Good luck with the search for the 5D are you still considering the 1Ds or 1DsII?

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Good luck with the search for the 5D are you still considering the 1Ds or 1DsII?
So here's the skinny on that -- Yes, I would consider either, BUT:

1) used 1Ds2's are roughly the same price as 5Dii's so it's a wash money-wise and I'd rather have the more compact, higher-pixel, larger LCD, video 5Dii

2) used 1Ds's are the same price and pixel count as used 5D's, and again, I'd rather have the lighter weight camera with larger LCD...

Which of course brings me right back to square one -- the logical camera for me to convert as of right now, is the 5Dii I already own...

Jeremy

1) used 1Ds2's are roughly the same price as 5Dii's so it's a wash money-wise and I'd rather have the more compact, higher-pixel, larger LCD, video 5Dii
You're telling me, but I'm stuck with the heavy 1Ds2 with tiny LCD screen. *sigh*

Don Libby

So here's the skinny on that -- Yes, I would consider either, BUT:

2) used 1Ds's are the same price and pixel count as used 5D's, and again, I'd rather have the lighter weight camera with larger LCD...

Which of course brings me right back to square one -- the logical camera for me to convert as of right now, is the 5Dii I already own...
Have to agree with you Jack. The difference screen wise is like walking into a sports bar then going back to your 24" at home.

I wouldn't worry too much about the loss of the sensor cleaning. I sent the lens I thought I'd use (24-105) along with the body. I mounted the lens right after I got everything back and so I've had no need to change lens.

Thing to remember is that the camera will be returned with a great custom white balance. Not's do what I did and screw around with it to the point I had to find green grass in the middle of the desert!

Has Precision raised their prices yet? Also not forget about the smoking deal if you're a PPA member. One other thought - it only cost me less that #10 to have it overnighted back to me...