The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: CARL ZEISS C SONNAR 50mm f1.5 Leica M lens, New in box.

Kitses1

Carl Zeiss C Sonnar 50 mm f1.5 Leica M mount lens. New in Box. $845

This is a new lens, with original box, manual, caps, warranty card, and signed certificate. It has only been used for a few test shots around the house. It is in 100% new condition, not a mark anywhere, glass is perfect, never cleaned. I bought this lens new from Tony Rose with a Zeiss Ikon. Incredibly nice camera and lens, the focusing is super smooth and accurate with the new ZM lenses, esp. on the huge viewfinder of the ZI. I thought I would go into rangefinder style documentary photography and purchased a nice set of new lenses. I wont be able to complete the project , so I'm selling a number of lenses and gear that are brand new, only been out of the box for testing around the house, some of them bought this month. Here's the first lens of the bunch, the classic C Sonnar. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm a new member here, but have 100+ feedback on the bay as kitses. You may call me for further info if you wish at 613-286-7619.
Paypal to verified members, Interac email money transfer. Thanks and good luck

cookedart

I am not aware that they come optimized for any f stop; the lens has not been modified, it is as shipped from the factory.

thanks
This lens has focus shift issues and thus comes from the factory with front focus adjusted for either f/1.5 (wide open) or f/2.8.. older lenses of this type came optimize for 2.8 - I think recently they have changed this to 1.5. Do a quick google search for zeiss c sonnar focus shift - you'll see what i mean.

Also, you don't mention if this is black or silver.

Kitses1

The Zeiss C Sonnar does not have, contrary to popular hype, any focus shift issues. Zeiss designed the lens the right way the first time, there are not two versions of this lens, they are all "optimized" for f2.8 close focus for a reason. The front focus noticed by some owners only occurs when shooting wide open f1.5 at minimum focal distance <1m. How often do people photograph a ruler wide open at 1 m away?? that's the only time there is noticeable front focus, period. Secondly, this depends also on the camera used, as the rangefinder alignment/interface of various M mount cameras differ slightly. Thirdly, this front focus wide open phenomenon is NOT unique to the Sonnar lens, it is common to some of the best and fastest lenses made! Eg. 75 mm Summilux. Fourth, when used on MFT cameras, there is no front focus of any kind as there is no rangefinder, the lens focuses sharp wide open, perfectly, and with a bokey and artistic rendering that is unmatched by razor sharp aspheric lenses. Fifth, many of those users that reported front focus on a ruler, have come to realize that Zeiss was right in the first place, the f2.8 optimization makes the lens much more versatile, as having it rangefinder couple optimezed for f1.5 limits the lense's utility at avobe f2.8. Zeiss does not make a "new f1.5 version" of this lens, they only modify your lens if requested! Some sellers hype and advertise new f1.5 versions, this is marketing by the sellers.
Bottom line, The Zeiss Sonnar C is an amazing lens, as stated by Rangefinder guru Dante Stella, it can be used just fine wide open at anything beyond 1m subject distance where DOF covers front focus. You can also lean into a close up shot 5", that's it, and some find that the C Sonnar is their favorite lens on micro 4/3 cameras. Enjoy, those who have opted for this fantastic lens. Long live Zeiss!