The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Aptus 75 S with camera and Extras

David K

Workshop Member
David,
Just wondering if you got around to those photos of the kit. I'm all the way out in California and this is a 20K+ item. My request received the response "pretty boring to look at". Makes me wonder if you are really into selling it.
Doug,
My sincere apologies for not getting around to this sooner. Here are a few I just took.

David K

Workshop Member
FWIW this back can be bought as a demo from any Leaf dealer in Contax 645 mount with a full warranty for about the same price. I have to feel REALLY good about dealing with an individual at this price level if you know what I mean.
Doug,
I am actually surprised to hear that the S model is available from dealers at this price. Steve Hendrix, at PPR in Atlanta, most recently sent me his price list on non-S models which were priced from $18,500 to $22,500. The S upgrade was $5k (I paid $3k as an early adopter). Those backs also did not include the camera/lens/portable pack which I'd estimate is worth $3k. My remaining warranty is about 14 months, a bit better than the year you'd get from a dealer. Also, for what it's worth, the vast majority of Aptus backs are purchased by professionals and I suspect that mine, at less than 2k captures, is at the low end of the useage curve. BTW, Steve Hendrix, who is a forum member here and from whom I purchased the back, graciously offered to provide support to the purchaser of this back if needed, even though he's trying to sell his own used backs. That's what I call a class act.

David

D

DougDolde

Actually there is one Aptus 75S demo available from Leaf with a Contax mount. FYI, PPR will sell it for $23,400 and MPEX for $22,500. So your deal is a pretty good one with the camera included.

But I am having second thoughts on the 75. I am probably better off with a new Phase P20+ and an Arca Swiss 6x9 for stitching. Both together will cost me less than a 75 (or P25+), and I already have a Contax 645.

Phase just dropped the prices of the P20+ to $8990 and the P25+ to $20,990 which includes a Mamiya 645 ADF II body. And that's negotiable especially if you don't want the Mamiya body.

Last edited:

JimCollum

if you're interested in stitching, you might look at

http://www.horsemanusa.com/digital/SWD2pro.html

It'll give you more pixels that anyone really needs :) (which is a lot coming from me)

This is from the Horseman and a 35mm Digitar

Actually there is one Aptus 75S demo available from Leaf with a Contax mount. FYI, PPR will sell it for $23,400 and MPEX for $22,500. So your deal is a pretty good one with the camera included.

But I am having second thoughts on the 75. I am probably better off with a new Phase P20+ and an Arca Swiss 6x9 for stitching. Both together will cost me less than a 75 (or P25+), and I already have a Contax 645.

Phase just dropped the prices of the P20+ to $8990 and the P25+ to $20,990 which includes a Mamiya 645 ADF II body. And that's negotiable especially if you don't want the Mamiya body.

D

DougDolde

JIm, This is with your Aptus 75S? Can you simultaneously shift L&R and Up & Down with the Horseman to get a 4 quadrant stitch? Or is this "just" two frames?

Last edited:

JimCollum

JIm, This is with your Aptus 75S? Can you simultaneously shift L&R and Up & Down with the Horseman to get a 4 quadrant stitch? Or is this "just" two frames?
yes.. from a center position, you can shift in all directions 17mm

with the 75s, i have 48x36mm sensor size. after shifting, i can get the equivalent of up to a 76x82mm. (as long as the image circle of the lens allows that much). the 24 doesn't allow for much shift at all.. i tried my 35, and can get about 12-14 mm in each direction of excellent IQ, 17mm in each direction is about the same as a normal Canon wide angle lens (you get the blurring in the corners, etc).

The image you see is just the single frame.. portrait orientation.

JimCollum

The other thing you get with the 75s are different built in profiles. The one i use most often is Portrait Open.. which give the look of color negative film.. lower saturation, lower contrast, and higher DR.

You can also shoot with the Product profile, which gives a much more saturated/contrasty 'chrome' look.

D

DougDolde

Well Jim that image speaks volumes about the quality of the Aptus with a digital lens. I can only imaging what it must look like at full size. I have seen the samples on Leafs website and they are awesome.

David K

Workshop Member
Last chance before I put this on ebay... I really would rather not have to deal with that. This back is available with or without the Contax kit and I am open to reasonable offers.

fotografz

Marc,
The only digital back in the world that can be used on the Hasselblad 200 series cameras is the Sinar Digital Back via a very small cable from the digital back to the shutter sync on the right side of the camera. Phase One back and other back can be used on the 200 series but they need a double cable release such as the Kapture Group. However, this cable is huge and it is not sensible to shoot via hand held. On the other hand, the Sinar cable is very small and allow you to use the Hasselblad 200 series cameras handheld. The cable is also universal for all medium format cameras (Mamiya 645 AF, M645, Contax 645 and etc.) when used on the Sinar back. I also discovered that the adapter is very precise with the Sinar system. Up to date, the Hasselblad V is still the smallest and yet brightest 6x6 system when manual focus. I put both the Rollei 2.0/110 on the Rollei 6008 AF with their high definition bright screen and the Hasselblad 2.0/110 on the 205 TCC and the 205 TCC was so bright and yet crisp when in focus. It is due to this bright screen, I have designed an auto bellows system for the Contax 645 and now the Hasselblad 200 series camera to do high magnification micro/macro-photography applications. The only reason you own so much of these Hasselblad lens and your 203 FE is due to the incredible optics the 200 series has to offer.

-Son
Son, please forgive continued questions regarding my 203FE, but I need to clarify a few very important points.

Yes, I agree, the 200 series and it's lenses still stand apart from almost anything out there even years later. Looking through the viewfinder is a revelation concerning clarity and ease of focusing, and the optics are a standard still unsurpassed to this day.

However, I cannot find any information on the Sinar web site that confirms your statement that a Sinar back will work on this camera. Specifically, the Sinar eMotion 75.

The technical specifications for the eMotion75 clearly lists the Hasselblad V 500 series, but not the 200 series.

Is the Sinar back you are using on your 200 series one of the tethered ones without the a LCD or ability to use a CF card? Like the Sinarback 54 or eVolution 75H? The technical specifications for these backs simply list Hasselblad V without distinction as to 500 or 200 series.

Any clarification by anyone, including any Sinar rep, would be most appreciated.

fotografz

Doug,
My sincere apologies for not getting around to this sooner. Here are a few I just took.
Man David, these shots aren't doing this 20K+ "killer-diller-thriller-chiller" kit any favors. Maybe I should to give a seminar/tutorial on sexy product photography ... LOL !

David K

Workshop Member
Marc... you are being kind, those photos suck. Just felt bad about not getting to them. Lesson learned and if you decide to do that seminar sign me up:) Anyway, kit is now on ebay, here's the link...

http://tinyurl.com/5z5ujj

David K

Workshop Member
Marc,

The auction ended without any bids (over 500 views and 30 plus watchers, so it certainly generated interest). Two interested parties who followed the auction have contacted me about the back, one of whom said he's going to be making a deposit on it shortly. The other is a highly regarded NYC fashion photographer. I should know if the back is sold in a few days from now.

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks Guy... but the original buyer flaked out after stringing me along for three days saying he was sending a deposit. This is what you get from ebay. In any event, I've emailed the backup party who expressed an interest but if someone here wants it for the $19k I agreed to take, it's available. Heck of a deal if I do say so myself.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Damn if i only had the money. I would like that back for sure and so would Jack. Someone should buy it. Too nice a rig. BTW i HATE e-bay anymore. The fee's are through the roof and many times too much headaches. I like this private B&S at least people know each other in most cases and just easier all around.