The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format digital back wanted

G

gkennyryder

I am looking for a cheap, high quality digital medium format back or kit under $3000 (around £1800, I'm located in London). Any help in finding one would be very much appreciated. PM me if you have anything you would like to sell or know somewhere where I can get a good deal. I don't mind at all if it is refurbished or second hand.
Thanks for any help,
G.

darr

I am looking for a cheap, high quality digital medium format back or kit under $3000 (around £1800, I'm located in London). Any help in finding one would be very much appreciated. PM me if you have anything you would like to sell or know somewhere where I can get a good deal. I don't mind at all if it is refurbished or second hand.
Thanks for any help,
G.
Do you know how much these items are worth?
I think you need to do a little research.
Start here: http://www.captureintegration.com/

gsking

Under $3000 here in the states will get usually get you a Kodak DCS 16mp square back, or for under $1500 you can get an H10 11mp tethered back. But it's been a long time since I've looked.

I'm sure Leaf has some models in that range, but they only work with Macintosh software.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEAF-Valeo-17wi-17-MP-digital-back-for-Mamiya-645-AFD_W0QQitemZ260532068427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item3ca8ebe04b#ht_508wt_1167

2,800 for Mamiya AFD 645

Mamiya AFD 645 + 80mm f/2.8 Lens 1200
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mamiya-645AFD-Camera-Kit-80mm-Lens-645-AFD-BIN-103125_W0QQitemZ290387067725QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item439c6b034d#ht_3264wt_1167

I think that is cheapest you are going to be able to do it. Or just shoot film and get a nice scanner :D 6x7cm from a Mamiya RB67 scanned will give you a 41 mpix image.

------------
Leica Lens Reviews | My Photoblog
http://www.danielvalentephotography.tumblr.com

G

gkennyryder

I've been looking at the old leafs. How does the picture quality of the later Valeos match up to the Phase H backs and the early P backs? Thanks,
G.

G

gkennyryder

Also do you think these older backs still beat the high end 35mm DSLRs, such as the D700 in terms of image quality, discounting noise as I rarely shoot at high ISOs. Thanks,
G.

At base ISO that LEAF back is 4k x 4k pixels. Plus super high-quality mamiya glass for pretty cheap (compared to say leica or hassy). If you can shoot at base ISO and lock the camera down to a tripod you will be happy. I contemplated going this route for a while but portability ultimately won out

(I own a M8 system...)

To each his own. I would say for studio or landscape work this is the way to go, plus you have the option of slapping some velvia in the AFd 645 and shooting some film with the same system...

Good luck

chiek

I've been looking at the old leafs. How does the picture quality of the later Valeos match up to the Phase H backs and the early P backs? Thanks,
G.

I've used valeo22back, P25, and P45 now. valeo 22 or 17 (like 9micron pixel) is comparable newer digital back. image quality has defenitely similar. but only thetered, so uncomfortable...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Also do you think these older backs still beat the high end 35mm DSLRs, such as the D700 in terms of image quality, discounting noise as I rarely shoot at high ISOs. Thanks,
G.
I shot with the Kodak DCS 645M for a couple of years and to be honest it was only when the D3/D700 came out that I got results comparable and it took the D3x to get something better. I can't speak to the current Leaf/Phase/Hassy 16bit generations but even my old Kodak (wasn't old then :) ) produced superb colour that only the latest raw conversion software can match.

G

gkennyryder

The 16bit colour and the higher dynamic range are the things that are really pushing me towards digital medium format.