The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Summicron 50mm f/2 M - DR

jackperk

A good lens, a very good deal

Take advantage of my mistake. I put in offers on two different Summicron 50's and -- unfortunately -- won them both. So now I have one too many Summicron 50's and will sell it for the exact price I paid for it -- $562.

Plus which, I'll pay shipping CONUS and eat the PayPal fees.

The lens is the chrome DR version of the Summicron 50.

It has a slight ding in the front lens cap which does not interfere with its operation. Glass is clean, mechanically it functions smoothly. It comes with both the front and a rear cap. It is serial #2032605,

I will pack and ship as soon as payment is confirmed. I've done a lot of buying/selling on eBay under name "jackperk7448" and have perfect rating.

Good luck,

Jack Perkins

"Dual-Range" it's a special version of the summicron that has a dual-cam and allows for closer focusing than normal summicrons (which close focus = 1m or 0.7m depending on version. The DR is very very sharp and contrasty but unfortunately does not work with the M8/M9 which is the only reason I do not have one. You can get the second cam milled off by DAG and mount it to the M8 but then you lose the close focus. For an older film body there is a special set of "eyes" that mount to the lens that allow the rangefinder to accurate focus close. Awesome lens if you can use it!

ohdannyboy

Darn...I've got an M8 so I guess I can't use this.

Daniel - you're very knowledgeable about these lenses! As the saying goes, "you're a scholar and a gentleman!" :) Thanks for explaining things to rookies like me.

jackperk

Gentlemen,

I am not an expert but here is what I have read from a man I believe might be considered such. Ken Rockwell. This is from his site, kenrockwell.com regarding the compatibility of this 50mm DR lens and the M9.

"50mm f/2 SUMMICRON with close-up setting (a.k.a. dual-range, 1956-1968, codes SOMNI and 11 918). Everything works great in both focus ranges, however an internal obstruction unique to the M9 prevents this dual-focus-range lens from focusing any farther away than 4 meters (12 feet). Use any other 50mm lens, or the 90mm f/4 MACRO ELMAR-M instead.

The problem is that the extended focus cam of the dual-range lens hits an obstruction near the rangefinder roller in the M9. Earlier cameras don't have this obstruction."

---------

This last line from him suggests to me that the M8 and M8.2 -- earlier cameras -- do not have a problem with the lens.

Here's what I'll do. If someone purchases this from me and finds that it in fact should not be used on one of those earlier cameras, I will happily refund the purchase price.

Best,

Jack Perkins

Last edited: