The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Scanner

gubaguba

I am looking to scan a bunch of prints, negatives, and film positives that are part of my families archive. I would like the scans to be good as I am spending time on it. Looking for something similar to Epson 750V which seems like a good compromise it can scan prints and negs. Thought I throw it out here and see. Perhaps some of you have a decent quality scanner collecting dust having gone digital. USB or firewire connection and OS X software, can do SCSI in a pinch.

carstenw

I've got the Epson V750, and it is a good scanner, but I would caution you that it probably won't get much resolution from 135 negatives. What do you want to use it for?

gubaguba

I do have some 135mm negs and chromes to scan. I do not plan on ever making large prints 8x10 inches maybe 11x14. I do have some 120 to scan and then a bucket of prints. What has been your experience?

carstenw

I haven't done 35mm, but 645 looks great. I get nice 25MP images with it, and I still haven't exhausted the options for sharper scanning. I read about the 135 quality cap and decided before I bought it that this was not why I was buying it.

Prints scan nicely, but of course, the resolution of prints isn't great to start with, so don't expect miracles there.

carstenw

Ah, okay. It costs more in Europe where I live, so I wasn't sure about the price. I searched and found some for $780 new, but didn't see any for $689. That kinda makes the deal uninteresting, doesn't it :)

fotografz

I have the Epson V750 Pro scanner.

In most cases, it works fine for medium format films it they are not challenging exposures. 135 format is more difficult depending on type of film and how well exposed they are. My main use of the V750 is to scan 8X10 contact sheets of ganged 135 and MF films.

For scanning prints I found the 750 to be very good. The most amazing thing was the ability to use all of the tools in Photoshop to restore or actually improve on already good originals. I tried this because I read about some famous photographers that were shooting film, making analog silver prints then scanning those prints rather than the negs. This reproduce more of the feel of a silver print than scanning straight from the neg. Inkjet prints printed on Crane's Meuso Silver Rag looked so much like a silver print I could hardly believe it.

-Marc

I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro dedicated neg scanner available, which would do much better on negs, but may be more than you want t o spend.