The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: FUJI G617 Panorama Camera

Charles Wood

It's time for me to sell one of my prized photographic possessions. This is a G617 with 105mm f8 lens (f8-45) that is extremely sharp. The resulting image is essentially one half of a 5x7 frame or 2.1 x 6.75 (3:1). I've actually printed a 3'x9' panorama from a frame scanned at 3200dpi, that is very sharp even at that size.

Unlike virtually every other used G617 for sale, this camera has the Fuji factory upgrade for the shutter. The original Seiko shutter lost an aperture blade. Fuji Service in the USA replaced it with a Copal shutter. Whereas the old Seiko was known to have a lifespan of approximately 5,000 clicks, the Copal lifespan is far greater. I have shot less than 20 rolls since the factory upgrade.

Include with the camera is the strap (Yes! You can handhold this camera under the right conditions) along with the factory carrying case and the Fuji center filter.

The G617 accepts 120 or 220 roll film. I will include ten rolls of Fuji Velvia 50 or Provia 100 (buyer's choice) with the purchase.

These cameras are typically selling in the 1500-2000 dollar range US. The factory shutter upgrade and calibration cost over $600.00 less than two years ago. I am asking $1600.00. I will ship to US, Canada, UK, Australia at cost or a flat $25.00 fee in the US, including tracking and insurance.

I can accept PayPal or MC, VISA, AMEX direct at a 3% surcharge. Personal/bank checks also accepted from a US buyer. Allow for check clearance. If you have any questions, please contact me. Thanks!

www.cwoodphotos.com

Last edited:

Jeremy

Whereas the old Seiko was known to have a lifespan of approximately 5,000 clicks, the Copal lifespan is far greater.
Do you have any supporting documentation on this? I know Fuji recommended service after 5,000 clicks, but I've never heard that number stated as the lifespan of the shutter.

Charles Wood

Rivercrew: Beautiful images...what film stock? Looks like Velvia.

Jeremy: I was told by a Fuji service technician they failed regularly if preventive maintenance wasn't carried out. In my case, one of the leafs of the aperture simply fell off. I had a contact today from another interested party whose G617 did exactly the same thing. I think the Copal replacement is a far better way to go although the Seiko worked well until it failed without warning.

rivercrew

Charles

Yes, I used Velvia on those shots. Hauled that camera all over California.
Loved the 6X17 format. I had the older version as well, the fixed 105mm.
Did get a chance later on to use the Linhof 6X17 with the 90mm. That was sweet as well.

Roy

Jeremy

Jeremy: I was told by a Fuji service technician they failed regularly if preventive maintenance wasn't carried out. In my case, one of the leafs of the aperture simply fell off. I had a contact today from another interested party whose G617 did exactly the same thing. I think the Copal replacement is a far better way to go although the Seiko worked well until it failed without warning.
That's amazing, Charles, and definitely makes your camera worth a premium!

Charles Wood

I've never used the Linhof and while I respect Linhof, the simplicity of the Fuji, combined with the high quality of their optics and much lower cost, makes the Fuji approach a no-brainer.

I now have several offers pending for this camera.

Thanks all.