The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R 90/2 ROM APO/ASPH

fotografz

Mint 90 APO Summicron Asph. Box, case, caps, etc.

This lens not only is great on any Leica R film or DMR, it will work on a Canon Digital camera with the correct adapter.

I will include the Leica R to Canon EOS chipped adapter that provides in viewfinder visual, as well as audio, confirmation on a Canon for an additional $75.oo if you buy the lens. It blows away any Canon lens made anywhere near that focal length including the 85/1.2-IIL @ f/2.

Lens price $1,890. + Shipping and insurance. (This lens is now $3,600 @ B&H.)

Last edited:

fotografz

Here's the difference:

I did a controlled test using hot lights in my studio. Mounted a Canon 1DsMKII on the studio stand, put on the Leica R90AA set to f/2 using the chipped adapter. Then used live view @ 10X to focus on the 501 CM badge on the subject camera (which is for sale BTW), shot using a 10 second self timer so no vibrations would spoil the shot.

Then, without changing anything, I removed the R90 and mounted my 85/1.2L-II and set it to f/2, used live view to focus @ 10X again.

I then brought both images into ACR-3 and opened both at the same time in RAW and applied exactly the same auto corrections, opened them in PSCS3 and converted them for posting here side by side. I also did a big crop and put those side by side.

What is immediately apparent is the much better control of CA in the specular areas of the chrome by the Leica ... which it should do being an APO optic.

The other thing noticable is the superior clarity of out of focus areas like the red dot and the whole winding handle ... which my pal Irakly attributes to the micro contrast of the Leica optics.

Last edited:

PeterA

hahahah - that is a very loud blad you got there Marc! LOL

Those 90's are sharp alright - cut like razor blades ...