The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adaptors

PeterA

oh fellow gear nutz -:)

I would appreciate your views on what the best adaptors are for R lens to EOS mount.
Cheers
PeterA

PeterA

Hey Gus - thanks - you may know I am interested in wether these adaptors will work with the 3-70 and teh 70-180 on a 1dsmk11?

fotografz

Peter, there have been basically 3 versions that have developed ... made by different companies or individuals.

The first was a straight adapter, the second added data bus contacts to provide focus confirmation in the viewfinder ... but required you to stuff a shim into the small moveable lever that recognizes AF lenses on the EOS mount ( this is the one I have) ... and a third that eliminated the need to shim the lever. This is the one to hunt down so you can focus the R lenses on a Canon using in viewfinder focus confirmation which even beeps if you set the camera to do that. They are on e-bay.

BTW, consider getting the split micro-prism screen from Canon. The camera still has AF but this screen makes it easier to manually focus even with focus confirmation at play. Canon AF cameras are not easy to focus manually. I don't know if the split screen will black out with a long Leica R lens ... it didn't when using a Canon 200/2.8L-II, but you never know.

David K

Workshop Member
Peter,
I would suggest getting in touch with Son who is a forum member here. He's done extensive research on this subject and has even had them fabricated to his specs.

mark1958

I have spoken to Son about this. He is really most familiar with the contax to EOS adapters. He has not done much work with the Leica adaptors but he should answer directly

Peter,
I would suggest getting in touch with Son who is a forum member here. He's done extensive research on this subject and has even had them fabricated to his specs.

PSon

Peter,
Normally the Cameraquest is thicker than some of the other adapters in the market. However, when it comes to the Leica to Eos adapter the Cameraquest is thinner than some of the other available adapters. Normally the thinner one gets you to infinity, however, the Novoflex in this case shows to give the Leica wide angle lens the best performance. Thus, my recommendation is to go with the Novoflex Leica to Canon Eos adapter.

-Son

PeterA

thanks everyone for your responses. i am familiar with Novaflex ..but unfamiliar with the third adaptor you refer to Marc. i would appreciate a name or a link if you can find it...sounds very interesting.

Son - I am specifically interested in mating a 35-70 and 70-180 to Canon ..I have no interest in 35mm wide angle lenses after using Schneider on Alpa for some time..

fotografz

Peter, just do a search on e-bay, there are a bunch to choose from. Just scroll to the ones with AF confirmation.

What I couldn't locate was the version that automatically pushed up the lens detection lever on 1 series EOS bodies lens mounts that allows AF confirmation. The adapter I have has the data bus contacts, but requires me to cram a small shim into the lever slot in the EOS mount to fool the camera into thinking a Canon AF lens is mounted.

Also, be sure to confirm that those lenses you want to use won't foul the Canon Mirror.
Some R lenses have a rear element that protrudes into the camera to deeply.

I think there are charts floating around the internet that indicate what works and what doesn't.

Nick_Yoon

I have Olympus and Leica AF confirm adapters from ebay seller "happypagehk" - both work on my 5D without problem. Leica lenses used are 35-70/4, 50/1.4 (pre-asph) and 90/2 (pre-asph).

David Klepacki

Hi,

I have some genuine Cameraquest Leica-EOS adapters that I do not need anymore, since I went entirely to medium format. Contact me if you need a good one. I have tested them out for all Leica-R lenses, including the 15mm/F2.8, and all are "on the money" with regard to infinity focus. Architectural photographer, John Luke, uses these adapters (got one from me).

I have a few adapters left, and they are all like-new.

David
P.S. Same goes for some Contax-EOS adapters, some of which are the hard-to-find (thin, and perfectly flat) DSLRexchange ones no longer made.