The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Hermes MP kit with 35mm summicron asph

R

robofc

I am selling my cherished MP Hermes with its limited edition 35mm Summicron ASPH lens that originally sold for $10,000 and now sell for between $9000 and $12000 in new condition. There were only 500 Hermes cameras made in 2003, when Leica was partially owned by Hermes. Hermes is a French company famous for its saddles and clothes. This is 50/500, a nice number. The camera is covered in Hermes tan leather and is exquisite to hold. It is an amazing leather to hold. The neck strap has beautiful stitching. I recently asked how much it would cost for an extra Hermes neck strap at Leica USA and it was $990, just for the strap. The camera comes with a special chrome body cap.

The 35mm Summicron has a matching 50/500 serial number and has special features. The focusing tab is chromed metal instead of black plastic. And the hood is beautiful chromed brass, instead of rectangular plastic. The lens comes with a chrome lens cap. It originally came with a chrome rear lens cap as well, which was stolen. I have replaced it with a more valuable original Leitz chrome lens cap which sells for over $150 in auctions.

I have owned the camera since new and have put only about 20 rolls of film through it since I started shooting digital shortly after buying the camera. But even 20 rolls of use has created small signs of use, which I have presented in the accompanying pictures. Notably, there is minor polishing of the camera body where the leather strap rubbed against it (the MPs don't have the black plastic strap protectors, thankfully). There is a very minor rub mark on the chrome lens hood and a small, round raised area on the back, just to the left of the iso dial.

For this reason I am not asking $9,000 to $12,000 like the other sellers. Here is how the value breaks down:

a USED non-Hermes MP sells for about $3000

a USED non-Hermes 35mm Summicron sells for about $2000.

The strap alone would cost $990

and the special chromed hood cost $318

Chrome body cap part number 420-104-047-000 is $100

Chrome front lens cap part number 422-502-110-000 is $130.00

The a la carte cost of putting regular, not Hermes, leather on an MP is $330

So the total cost for a USED regular MP with a NORMAL 35mm Summicron ASPH and the above goodies would cost about $6900. This is without it being a special edition limited to 500 copies using Hermes leather. This is without the unique Summicron with chromed focus tab. And this is without the collectors value of a very special camera and its co-production by Hermes.

Adding in these intangible values to the $6900 and the fact that pristine examples have a buy it now price of $9000-12,000 I am going to sell my camera for $7595, only $695 more than a similarly equipped regular MP with normal 35mm Summicron ASPH lens and accessories.

Please contact me by email as I do not check PMs very often:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Robert

P

photovillage

We have just the strap in stock new (Hermes/Leica) however it is $799.

A while back a guy with the kit ordered it, and then stuck us with it, but every so often I think about using it on my camera as an extreme act of decadence.

If anyone wants this strap, I might cut a deal since the guy has not responded after about 10 calls ands 20 emails.

cheers,
Rich
Photovillage

jonoslack

$799 for a strap? Dang. Luigi can't even touch that.
What's more, it looks very much like the Leica strap I bought - those metal studs will definitely scratch the chrome on the top plate (My chrome M8 had marks all over it after a day).
Beautiful: yes
Practical: no
Value for money: :ROTFL:

I bet the leather isn't as nice as Luigi's either!

Yes indeed, I had to get more info on this to satisfy my purient curiosity.....holy cow!!
and to think it damages the camera at no extra cost ;>)

Double Negative

Not Available
...I bet the leather isn't as nice as Luigi's either!
Nothing is as nice as Luigi's leather! (I wrapped my Ikon and M8 w/straps) :)

Shame about the practicality, even more a shame the price. But I still say that's one helluva camera. Good luck on the sale; and many happy clicks to whomever picks it up. :thumbup:

Sharokin

Ahh another Leica that will sit in a beautiful display somewhere in an expensive home never having to take a picture to earn it's high price.
Cartier Bresson is rolling in his grave.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ahh another Leica that will sit in a beautiful display somewhere in an expensive home never having to take a picture to earn it's high price.
Cartier Bresson is rolling in his grave.
If you can afford it and it floats your boat then why the heck not. I can think of a lot more wasteful things to spend $k on. :rolleyes:

I'd love it but ... :eek:

As Guy mentioned, it certainly is a sweetie.

Last edited:
R

robofc

The camera and lens costs the same as a new M9 with tax (with no lens). And I am sure it will maintain its value better after the M10 comes out.

R

robofc

And there is nothing as nice as Hermes leather. The feel is incomparable.