The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Silvestri FlexiCam with Sliding back and Rodenstock 105, Mamiya mount

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Folks:

I grabbed this off ebay last week because I liked the look and the specs and wanted to try it out. I learned three things after playing with it for a few days: 1) I really don't like using a tech camera for MF capture, especially now that the DF body is working so well; 2) If I do get a tech camera, it is going to have a sliding back like this one! It makes composition and capture MUCH more convenient that ones without, where you have to keep exchanging the back and the GG for composition and capture; 3) Finally, if I'm going to go to the trouble of using a tech camera, I want a full-blown view camera will all movements on both ends, hang the added weight and bulk.

Okay, that said, here is what I can tell you about this camera. It is very light, weighing about 4 pounds total with lens and sliding back attached! Focus and all other movements are smooth, easy to effect and without slop or backlash. The zero detents for swing and tilt place the lens parallel to my P65+ sensor in the sliding back based on my limited testing. The surface of the GG is located precisely in the same plane as my P65+, as focus seemed spot on for me using my 8x loupe on the GG. Also, the included 105 Rodenstock APO Sironar Digital is a very sharp lens even on the P65+ sensor. My only real nit is the locks for the swing and tilt movements could be a bit stronger, but then they never drifted on me, so maybe it's not an issue. Oh, and the levels built into the camera seem to be right on square too.

Here are the main specs:

Tilt 15+15° micrometric adjustment with locking system
Swing 15+15° micrometric adjustment with locking system
Extension: 90mm with click and micrometric adjustment
R/L Side Shift +15mm/+15mm
Rear Rise/Fall +23mm/-23mm
Combined cylindrical and bag bellows
Weight: 1 kg (FlexiCam body only)

Kit includes everything pictured, the FlexiCam, the sliding back with GG in Mamiya mount and the Rodenstock 105mm APO Sironar Digital lens in proper Silvestri bayonet mount. Camera, back and lens are all in exc+++ condition, showing only the slightest signs of use.

Asking $3500. (That's what I have invested in it and would like to break even.)

Here are some pics:

kdphotography

I really can't keep up with all your acqusitions! This really is one that Guy, Don, and I don't have in that community equipment locker....

:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It is pretty sweet Ken, and affordable! You should try it out. I know Don will become uber jealous over the convenience of the sliding back :)D).

FWIW, I've pretty much decided that my "tech" camera, when and if I ever do get one, is going to be a full-blown view kit. Probably an Arca M-2, Rotaslide back, and 28, 47, 72 and 105/120 lenses...

D

DougDolde

Don' t forget the Linhof Techno...your lenses don't need helical mounts.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Problem with the Techno is ALL movements are front only, and needs two bellows for under 70 and over 70. At minimum, I prefer back rise/fall and shift with front swing AND tilt, all with the ability to mount a sliding back and one bellows for 23 through 180 lenses. At this point, I would sacrifice weight for all that, and why the Arca is looking like the most promising solution for me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I read it somewhere the other day, probably on the linhof studio site. And I am not sure on the actual cut-off for the bellows, but IIRC it was something similar to that.

kdphotography

It is pretty sweet Ken, and affordable! You should try it out. I know Don will become uber jealous over the convenience of the sliding back :)D).

FWIW, I've pretty much decided that my "tech" camera, when and if I ever do get one, is going to be a full-blown view kit. Probably an Arca M-2, Rotaslide back, and 28, 47, 72 and 105/120 lenses...
I'd be scared to try it out.....I hate to break the "you touch it, you buy it rule"

:ROTFL: