The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 Body, 90mm summarit lens and Leica Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Libby

I'm not so sure. I feel the buyer should have the right to withdraw at any time up to the acceptance of money. We place items for sale and don't need to disclose all the personal baggage behind the sale. I feel the important thing is to be true about the item being sold which in this case it appears to have been.

I don't know felix5616 however if he want to back out before the sale is complete he should be able to. Remember the show can always be on the other foot and you might be faced with doing the same thing.

Just my 2¢

Don

Seeing the sale was potentially hardship based and the situation got better and you decided to cancel, what's the big deal? If no money was collected and/or everything returned in a timely fashion, it was probably just frustration on the buyers part for almost have a good deal/no wait time for something very desirable.

Glad your pup is doing well!

ohdannyboy

I was the potential buyer, and I was going to keep quiet on this matter (and save felix5616's reputation on this forum). But since he opened the door to this issue, I might as well pipe in now.

We traded a couple emails where he sent me a link to his feedback on photo.net, and we agreed upon a price. I had the money all set to go on Monday (after connecting/confirming another one of my bank accounts with paypal). I requested some photos from him just to make sure that he had the items (after all, it's a big sum of money that I'm sending over, and I wanted to make sure he had them). Seller said to wait until Thursday when he would send me pics. I told him ok and asked why Thursday and not earlier. No response from him. Today I get an email from him saying that he is holding onto his gear because he got his contract for his job extended. While I'm happy that he got his contract extended (I don't wish anyone to be unemployed), I'm a bit peeved that he's backing out of the sale/deal that we agreed upon. On top of that, I had made plans with someone else to sell my existing Leica M8 gear to them. I made a mistake and assumed people stick to their word. Now because of felix5616, I have to back out of my deal (I can't very well be cameraless!) and my reputation is being tarnished.

It all boils down to managing expectations. If felix5616 had mentioned in his ad that he wasn't 100% sure about selling his gear and would know by this Thursday whether or not he would have his job so that he could keep the gear, I wouldn't be upset. However, he mentioned nothing about his job as the reason for selling the gear. Instead he was (supposedly) selling this gear because of his dog's medical needs/bills. Now if he had written me today telling me that his dog's medical bills are no longer a problem, I wouldn't be as upset (I'd be disappointed, but I would at least be able to piece the puzzle together). Instead, it seems selling the gear had nothing to do with his dogs in the first place.

The most interesting thing is that felix5616 told me to check back with him next Friday to see if he really still has his job contract extended - meaning it's not for certain yet! Personally, I feel like something is a bit fishy here. It seems like we agreed upon a deal, and now he's backing out because he may have gotten a better offer elsewhere, but he's keeping the door open just in case that deal falls through.

I'm actually glad I didn't wire the money over on Monday (without asking for pics) because what would've happened if I did? He'd have all my money, and then he could flip on a dime (like he did today) and decide not to send me the gear. Then I'd be out my money and have no gear. To say that "no one has lost any money here" should be attributed to my street smarts, not to felix5616's credit.

And re: feedback, we all know how easily feedback can be forged. I'm not saying that felix5616 (I keep referring to his screenname here so as not to reveal his real name for his sake) forged his feedback. But we can all see how easy it is to create another username and write feedback about yourself. (eBay is the prime example of this). So I don't think sending a link to a list of your feedback is sufficient, and I feel like my asking for pics of the gear was not an unreasonable request (given the amount of money we were talking about). Mind you, I'm not accusing felix5616 of being dishonest with regards to his feedback, but he definitely was not honest with his reasons for selling...and I feel like he's not being entirely honest with his reasons for NOT selling now. He's put me in quite a pickle now and I'm not entirely sure what to do now with my situation.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I had a similar issue and you can see I made the first offer. I asked for proof from an authorized Leica dealer that he had purchased the camera. Seems reasonable as I bet most of the dealers can tell you every single customer. He said he wasn t the original purchaser because he had received the M9 in trade for some lighting equipment and the trade was with an individual. After some give and take he agreed that before any money changed hands he would give me the store and I could talk with them .

I made an offer of $6750 cash immediate payment. Time is money. He replied that he had PAID $7000 and needed at least that much.

Those are the facts and I am drawing no conclusions from them about the seller.

T

thebicyclecafe

We traded a couple emails where he sent me a link to his feedback on photo.net, and we agreed upon a price.
Sorry to hear. For what it's worth, if you both "agreed on a price" that suggests that there was an offer made and an offer accepted- since the other elements of a legal contract appear to be present, legally you have a contract, in fact, in writing as it was probably done via email or online- so this contract is enforceable by law- doesn't matter if money changed hands or not. The contract is not voidable at the option of either party. In addition to litigating for breach of contract, ohdannyboy would also have a potential estoppel claim, where the inconvenience of his camera sale cancellation and any fees or damages related to it could be claimed, as ohdannyboy relied on the M9 contract going through to sell his camera.
Regardless of any legal issues (which for a transaction of this amount is not necessarily out of the question), if you made a deal you should stick to it.
I'd highly encourage this sale to be completed, not just legally, but it's just plain unfair to the buyer on many levels.

Eoin

:talk028: are we going to bully each other into compleation with talk of legal action. I'd rather not.

Strong words and inuendo rarely paint fhe author in a good light.
I thought we were all reasonable good friends here, obviously not.
I'd be delighted a friend, who was looking into the black pit of financial hardship, found some ray of hope.:talk028:

fotografz

Hold the phone here ...

felix5616 has some 'splaining to do.

I was also in direct negotiations to buy this camera ... with PMs as late as Tuesday this week.

Last week, I offered full retail ... IF ... 1) it was unused and unregistered (as claimed) ... AND ... 2) the store he got it from was an authorized Leica USA dealer and would re- issue a Bill of Sale in my name so I could register it and activate the warranty. I was a tad suspicious that a "New", unused, unregistered camera could not be returned to an authorized dealer, even though the seller had only taken possession of it a few days prior to his F/S listing.

According to the seller, the camera was part of a deal from Steve Hendrix as a trade on a MFD, which I questioned whether he was the 2nd owner ... so, I suggested he contact Steve to see if this sale transfer could be done. I was told he'd do that on Thursday (today) and get back to me.

I prep'ed my Pay Pal account to have the funds ready ... but didn't get any e-mail or PM about a change in plans (withdrawing something F/S is fine IMO), and only by chance came back to this F/S thread.

Very confusing and cryptic ... and perhaps even smacks of double-dealing ... but we'll leave it to the seller to explain. I saved all of my e-mails ... so keep it real.

Felix5616 ... even if the camera IS for sale ... forget it. I can wait.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Folks, let's take the bickering offline. It sounds like no money exchanged hands so nobody was financially hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.