The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stolen Gear

gubaguba

This was just sent to me via ASMP please keep a look out. Hope this doesn't violate any rules here.

Earlier this week, a Seattle area photo store, Optechs Digital, was robbed. The thieves made off with a lot of equipment, including Phase One backs and Canon bodies and lenses. It was a well planned, professional hit. So be on the lookout for gear being offered at prices that seem “too good to be true,” especially on Internet sites such as eBay and Craig’s List.

If you find a suspicious item, please report it to Paul Slotboom at Optechs Digital, 206-343-9900, email [email protected]

Among the items stolen were:

Phase One P40 Plus camera system with Phase One 645af body and 80D lens
Phase One P30 Plus camera system with Phase One 645af body and 80D lens
28mm Mamiya-branded lens
45mm Phase-branded lens
120mm macro (Mamiya)
150mm 3.5 (Mamiya)
150 2.8 (Phase)
75-150 (Phase)
210 (Mamiya)
Canon 5D mark II
Canon premium lenses, including 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 IS, 17 and 24 tilt shift, 100 macro, 85mm, 300mm, 70-300
other Canon cameras and lenses, all in original boxes

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks for pointing this out Paul and Optechs is a friend of the forum and we certainly will keep a eye out.

ggriswold

It gets more interesting if you follow the link to his recovery page... lots of gear including 2 Phase bodies and lenses.. I think someone is going to be doing some recovery, but not Rob.
http://www.rdpowerssalvage.com/SalvageSale.aspx

I had the misfortune of buying a hot Toughbook on Craigslist... turns out it was part of an 8 million dollar heist. The computers were headed for Homeland Security. When Panasonic told me that I drove it straight to the Police Station so they wouldn't kick in my front door. Seller didn't know it was stolen... turns out it wasn't bought from a friend as he told me, but in a Lowe's parking lot. Think it through. I paid a fair price so I wasn't tipped off until I called for support. After all these years there is no central database for stolen gear. There is a good one for Video gear. http://broadcastvideo.com/netpolice/ run by Roger Macie.. video camera guru and tech.

BradleyGibson

I suppose he's already aware, but just in case, I've sent Paul a quick note with the above information. Paul, Derek, Ted and everyone else at Optechs are great folks, and it's awful when bad things happen to good people like them.

Thanks, gubaguba and everyone else for the posting. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

ggriswold

I sent a note too... let's hope he is going to get the gear back. Maybe GetDPI would be interested in a topic heading for stolen gear. Could be a good clearing house for folks, but as a long time reader and more recently a poster I like the neighborhood just the way it is. Well intentioned efforts to bring in more people could ruin the professionalism and courtesy that makes GetDPI such a pleasure.:thumbup:

charlesphoto

I have a feeling that Paul got paid by the insurance company and then the gear was recovered by the police but at that point it's then owned by the insurance company. Which is where the salvage company comes in. RD Powers is a legit company - one often hears their name on the local NPR station as a supporter.

ggriswold

I think you are right Charles.. lt appears to be legit... Apologies to Rob for casting doubt on the sale. I did not notice the date of the original postings.

Wish he had a DF body for sale!

O

Optechs Digital

Thanks for all the emails and calls regarding this Craig's list posting. DPI is truly a great community!!!

That was about half of the gear that was stolen from my office a few months back. It is a legitimate sale offer by the salvage company. My insurance company paid me out for the stolen gear since it was recovered but tied up in an investigation and trial and was not going to be returned to me in a reasonable time period.

I can only assume that some of the items took some hits based on the severe destruction done to my showroom. These guys weren't particularly careful.

Thanks again to all my friends here for keeping an eye out for me.

Best Regards,
Paul