The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

R glass for sale

gogopix

Subscriber
so Peter, as one close to the same decision (after finding the HB was same weight as Hy6) yet to be handled of course, what would drive your selection, MS vs not? I see no downside for MS except COST;)

woodyspedden

so Peter, as one close to the same decision (after finding the HB was same weight as Hy6) yet to be handled of course, what would drive your selection, MS vs not? I see no downside for MS except COST;)
I spent some time talking about MS with Marc (academic interest only LOL) and it is incredibly sensitive to vibration. Virtually useless in the field and even in studio requires judicious vibration control. You don't walk behind the camera when it is shooting or you lose all the advantage of the multi shot.

Woody

gogopix

Subscriber
well 7 microns aint much!

However O do usually use the manfetto long lens bar and it makes a bigtime difference in shots.

BTW, how long are the MS? I assume there are like several seconds or so between scans, but maybe not. could be as fast as the normal fire rate, but that stll means about 6 sec an image for 4 frames.

EH21

Woody,
That is some great glass! I'd be interested in the 15, and 19, and 280 had I not just spent too much money on lenses for my MF system too. I've already got my 35-70 elmarit and hope to use it on a r10 someday. Good luck with your sale and MF system.
Eric

PeterA

Victor - the multi-shot can be used with care in the field , or as a single shot, but in MS mode really this is for studio still life work and fabrics.The only 'sacrifice is a slightly larger digiback size. Real question is whether you 'need' this particular still life capacity as if a P45+ or a 39 HB isnt 'enough'? I don't think I need it.
I think I have firmed up my thinking re the 'best' as in what works for me. I don't really care about what other people think either way. Happy to shar emy view sometimes - but not really caring about sensibilities and I disliek fan boy atitudes. :)

I already have a 35-70 2.8. :)

I wont be buying a CF back - I get all the functionality I need from the H3D-39 and thats what i am going to get. Alpa is on HD and any view camera I ight play with can be mounted by H series backs. If yo are stuck on having 'only Contax' well thats your problem mate LOL..I cant help but think that ANY bolt on bolt off back is going to be as accurate as a dedicated back if you get my drift..

That Hy/H2 was an interesting thread - alot of personal style perference info and not too much factual inaccuracy..interesting all inaccuracies consistently coming from Sinar based shooters regarding HB..LOL

Any other acquisition ideas? :)

Cheers
Pete

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've never shot with a MS back, but I have used the Bettelight scanning back a lot in the field. Bottom line is I assume the MS back is similar in that subject or camera movement is your enemy. Minor motion, like fluttering leaves can actually add an interesting element to a landscape image, but gross movements, like in larger winds, waterfalls or rivers, can be more problematic on the processing end. So I would extrapolate that from a practical standpoint MS is really only going to be useful in a studio environment...

woodyspedden

Woody,
That is some great glass! I'd be interested in the 15, and 19, and 280 had I not just spent too much money on lenses for my MF system too. I've already got my 35-70 elmarit and hope to use it on a r10 someday. Good luck with your sale and MF system.
Eric
Eric

The 35-70, 280, 100 Macro and 1.4 TC are all gone anyway now. However the 15 and 19 are still available if you change your mind.

Woody

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor - . If yo are stuck on having 'only Contax' well thats your problem mate LOL..I cant help but think that ANY bolt on bolt off back is going to be as accurate as a dedicated back if you get my drift..

That Hy/H2 was an interesting thread - alot of personal style perference info and not too much factual inaccuracy..interesting all inaccuracies consistently coming from Sinar based shooters regarding HB..LOL

Any other acquisition ideas? :)

Cheers
Pete
Where id you het the "only Contax" idea. A little clue that I am looking to add to my MF another platform is the, Hy/H2 thread; guess what started it?
:D
ANyway, do not want the contax people to think they will see a lot of gear 'for sale' The Contax will rewmain my MF focal plane shutter camera (both Hy6 and H3 are leaf/lens and under 1/1000. When you do flying objects, that doesnt hack it!.

anyway, right now I need to est the MF leaf shutter H6 or H3. Leaning H3 since it is 645

didnt realize you were fixed yet on the H3D II. From what you say, I assume it is NOT the MS.

Regards
Victor

EH21

Woody,
It's easier pass on your lenses since my R8 has been broken and in service for months now. :-(
I'll probably sell a few of my R lenses at some point but will definitely keep my 35-70 elmarit and my 100apo macro - great lenses and yes my 80 lux too. I had thought about selling all the R gear to buy a Hy6 or AFi but just couldn't bring myself to do it - so I congratulate you for your courage.
Eric

woodyspedden

Woody,
It's easier pass on your lenses since my R8 has been broken and in service for months now. :-(
I'll probably sell a few of my R lenses at some point but will definitely keep my 35-70 elmarit and my 100apo macro - great lenses and yes my 80 lux too. I had thought about selling all the R gear to buy a Hy6 or AFi but just couldn't bring myself to do it - so I congratulate you for your courage.
Eric
Eric

I am definitely not courageous, just broke!!LOL

MF is not for the faint of heart but i really want to get that level of resolution and quality for large print fine art landscape work. I would love to be wealthy enough to afford MF and still keep all that wonderful R glass for the next coming of digital R but not going to happen. I suspect the pain will go away as I get the hoped for results from my Hassy V and Zeiss lenses with the CFV back. While only 16MPx they are wonderful pixels and give outstanding results. The proof of the pudding is in the images.

Woody

PeterA

I've never shot with a MS back, but I have used the Bettelight scanning back a lot in the field. Bottom line is I assume the MS back is similar in that subject or camera movement is your enemy. Minor motion, like fluttering leaves can actually add an interesting element to a landscape image, but gross movements, like in larger winds, waterfalls or rivers, can be more problematic on the processing end. So I would extrapolate that from a practical standpoint MS is really only going to be useful in a studio environment...
If anything - once i clean up my current testing kit of 3 MFD backs full Contax and almost full H system of lenses - the Betterlight system may be the smartest alternative back for panorama landscapes..

I know NOTHING about this system and I ( currently ) dont have a suitable camera platform for it but an Ebony and a couple of nice LF lenses with a Betterlight isnt going to break the bank - hence it appeals as a 'different' way

That being said - the 39 megapixel backs have stunning resolution read cropability ( and a less finicky workflow I am guessing)

We are truly blessed with choices these days.

EH21

Eric

I am definitely not courageous, just broke!!LOL

MF is not for the faint of heart but i really want to get that level of resolution and quality for large print fine art landscape work. I would love to be wealthy enough to afford MF and still keep all that wonderful R glass for the next coming of digital R but not going to happen. I suspect the pain will go away as I get the hoped for results from my Hassy V and Zeiss lenses with the CFV back. While only 16MPx they are wonderful pixels and give outstanding results. The proof of the pudding is in the images.

Woody
Fully understood. I tested the waters with my 6008 AF / P20 and plunged in when I saw the image quality and bought a whole lot of lenses. I expected to sell my other Canon and Leica gear to cover the costs, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet with the R stuff. The files that don't have any sparkle are the canon 5d files, and to think I used to be very satisfied with them! But the Leica DMR files are still good, just a bit shy on pixels but otherwise much more like the MF files than they are like the DSLR files. And the DMR is easier to use in a lot of cases than my Rollei. Still vacillating about the DMR... maybe I'll follow suit and sell my R glass but it will be hard to let go of that 35-70mm elmarit!

woodyspedden

Fully understood. I tested the waters with my 6008 AF / P20 and plunged in when I saw the image quality and bought a whole lot of lenses. I expected to sell my other Canon and Leica gear to cover the costs, but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet with the R stuff. The files that don't have any sparkle are the canon 5d files, and to think I used to be very satisfied with them! But the Leica DMR files are still good, just a bit shy on pixels but otherwise much more like the MF files than they are like the DSLR files. And the DMR is easier to use in a lot of cases than my Rollei. Still vacillating about the DMR... maybe I'll follow suit and sell my R glass but it will be hard to let go of that 35-70mm elmarit!
Eric

Boy do I understand this in spades. Hope you can get all of your rationalizations in order so you can live with the choices. Sometimes I think the problem is that we don't know how to trade one set of values for the other. In other words, when we sell our R gear we get into a value proposition where we think we have given up on something valuable and don't know what we have gotten in return.

We don't need to do comparitive evaluations of one system vs another. If 135 format is your deal (my deal) then there is no need to compare Leica vs Canon vs Nikon. It is what it is. But if you are looking for the best resolution for a given sensor then the choice of size is the total deal.My choice of the 16 mpix sensor of the CFV is not perfect but a real choice for my way of seeing †he world. Go figure!!!!!363

Can't wait until Tuesday when my CFV arrives. Who knows what evil awaits the hearts of man

Woody

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Woody, I could not agree more. The choices we make one day are absolutely right for that time. Often it seems we forget that time moves on, and so do our needs. I am also sitting on still a lot of the very same glass you are selling, and meanwhile, I do not own a body to use any of it. Nor, as a working Pro, is any of it generating me one dime of income. Much as I admire all of these Leica lenses, and yes, will miss their stunning quality, without a back to shoot them on they are pretty worthless as paperweights.

I started out to sell my MF Contax system, with my Aptus 75S, as that was the most money invested. Then couldn't pull the trigger with the whole kit and let it go, after selling some of my lenses and other attachments. Then it was consideration of selling off my whole M8 system, but again I could not do the work I use that system for, so it came off the table. The only things left are my great need for an accurate 35mm system, and all these Leica R lenses sitting around here collecting dust at the moment. Oh, and the bills that do keep going on, demanding to be paid <Grin>.

So after much soul searching, I too must follow my old rule, if I haven't used a piece of gear in the last year, it needs to get sold and replaced by something i do need in my business, and will use to generate me income. I just this past week lost a job because I could not get a stinking decent 35mm rental here in time to meet the client's deadline. So if I am ever to dream about buying an R10 when they start shipping, I best get my income stream working where it should be, and the right equipment into my bag that allows me to work the way I want. Bravo on your own strength of conviction, and on the example you set for us all.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You mean I am not a sick person and buying and selling is normal. i can cancel the shrink. Oh what joy. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Chuck totally agree with you , i am in the air once again. The Mf gear just makes your heart stop a beat and trying to figure ways how to justify the expense. For all of us we need to make decisions based on what feels good and makes sense. There is no shame ever in dumping something for something else if it will work better for you. If it sits it's worthless to me. To have a system just to have it is well hate to say it stupid. It has to be working

heninden

Hi all,
I am the lucky guy who just joined the 35-70 club, and what a magnificent lens it is. On a cold and overcast day in Colorado, with snow spitting out of the sky, Woody and I met for breakfast, warmed ourselves with cups of coffee and chatted photographic philosophy. The time passed quickly and soon I was on the road back to Denver.
Thank you very much, Woody.
Henry

woodyspedden

Woody:

Can you update us with a list of lenses still available?
Hey Rob

Up until mid day tomorrow I still have the 15's, both elmarit and super elmar, 50 lux safari, 80 lux, 180 elmarit and 21-35. I have a buyer for the lot so if you want individual pieces please let me know ASAP. I am leaving for a trip to PA to visit my 91 year old Mama and will be out of touch.

Best

Woody