The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SOLD: 28mm Elmarit M (Ver. IV)

mjm6

Hi folks,

I purchased this last year form a member here, and have decided that I prefer a different focal length, (24mm), so I am selling this lens to replace it with that one.

This is the last of the pre-ASPH versions, and some consider it to be the best of all the 28mm lenses. It's apparently not as sharp as the ASPH in the center, but sharper in the corners.

The lens is optically in mint condition, so no problems there. There are a few rub marks on the back metal rim, and a previous owner touched them up with some black marker. They are just visible in the second photo.

The lens is 6-bit coded for use with an M-8 or M-9. On all the rest, that is not important.

I have $1150 in the lens, and I'd like to get that back out and pass it on to someone who will use it. I'll ship it to you through fedex ground or another preferred method at your expense. I'll accept Paypal at your expense as well.

Please PM or email me.

(The photos are from the original seller (to me). I'll post some additional ones shortly.)

JimBuchanan

Re: FS: 28mm Elmarit M (Ver. IV)

This is the last of the pre-ASPH versions, and some consider it to be the best of all the 28mm lenses. It's apparently not as sharp as the ASPH in the center, but sharper in the corners.
I agree with the first sentence, but I think you have it backwards in the second. Its the ASPH version that sacrifices center sharpness for more eveness into the corners.

mjm6

I haven't compared them, so I can't speak to this from personal experience, but I've seen reference to the version IV lens having the most even performance out to the corners. The ASPH is said to fall off into the corners more, and some people believe that it was designed to favor the M8 over the larger image of full frame film or digital.

I can't speak to this either way. I can say that it is an excellent performer, and I would not sell it, but it is too close to my 35mm, so rarely gets used. The 24mm will get much more use in my hands than the 28mm.

The lens is still available.

---Michael

mjm6

I'm lowering the price to $1100. If I get no interest at this price, I'll probably list it on Ebay (please don't make me do this!).

As a note, I have a fairly extensive history on Ebay under 'mjm6' (although none recent as I've been avoiding the place due to the much higher level of fraud on there). I also have a lot of history on the Large Format Forum.

---Michael

mjm6

I'll lower it one more time, and then off to Ebay... $1050 plus shipping and PP.

---Michael

mjm6

Here's the photos. You can see the rub marks on the back metal lip (no damage on the lens), and there is a a few rub marks on the metal parts of the lens hood.

Basically, this is an excellent condition lens, and will make a great user for someone.

---Michael

mjm6

Last price reduction... $1000 plus S+H and PP.

Thanks.

3tu3ni

If only I have that much to spare!

Someone better grab this.

mjm6

Ok, I lied, final price reduction before it goes to Ebay (I really don't want to do this!)

$950 plus s&h and PP.

---Michael

mjm6

sisoje,

I just sold a 21mm because I found I preferred the 24mm focal length, which is why I am also selling the 28mm (too close).

Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass on the trade.

---Michael