The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Nikon 200 f2 AFS VR Lens..With 2x, Outperforms the 200-400 f4!

D&A

Hi All,

Since I have embarked on a major project requiring a Nikon very long Super-telephoto, a few larger items of mine unfortunately has to be sold....and the first one is a lens that rarely comes up for sale.

My cherished and arguably one of the sharpest and desirable of all Nikon lenses is up for sale....the Nikon AF 200 f2 VR lens (USA lens) with optional RRS "arca swiss type foot" attached which is not only beneficial for mounting to a monopod or tripod, but is the only way one can reverse the metal hood. With the standard Nikon foot and a QR plate, the hood otherwise would not be able to be put in the reverse position. Before even describing what most consider one of the most Legendary of all Nikon lenses, permit me to describe a recent finding which puts this lens's already legendary use, up another big notch.

A few weeks ago I and a group of photographers got together with a few of Nikon's longer AF lenses and compared in controlled testing with and without teleconverters, including the new Nikon 2x TC-20 EIII. The one finding that confirmed what a few others have already observed, was that with the new 2x, the AF 200 f2 wide open was optically virtually the equal of the AF 200-400 f4 (wide open) at close camera to subject range, where the 200-400 is strongest. At mid and longer distances, the 200 f2 + new 2x easily out resolved the 200-400 f4. Except for zooming, this puts the native 200 f2 two full f-stops faster and as sharp or sharper than the 200-400 f4 set at 200mm. With the 1.4x, the 200 f2 (+1.4x) at 280mm was one full f-stop faster and as sharp or sharper than the 200-400 f4 at approx 280mm. Again at 400mm the 200 f2 + new Nikon 2x, in most instances, optically equaled or surpassed the performance of the native 200-400 f4 at 400mm. That how versatile this high performance lens is with a resolution that's amazing and a OOF rendition that's been described as simply one of the most attractive from any lens.

The lens has been gently used with little to very light signs of wear cosmetically and kept in excellent condition throughout. Almost no marks on the barrel and glass is clean, clear with no marks, scratches or blemishes...just a few small random pieces of dust and a almost imperceptible tiny piece of a single strand of lint...which is all too common in these large lenses with a filter draw that can often let in some stray particles...none of which has absolutely any effect on the optics. Basically though looking through the lens its virtually crystal clear except as described.

A wonderful and well kept for sample for this lens and all functions perfectly. It's interesting to note, the VR mechanism which functions superbly on this lens, can be heard a bit more in tone on Nikon 200 f2 lenses than other Nikon VR lenses. A Nikon engineer has told myself and another pro photographer that this was due to the VR sound resonating off the internals walls due to the hollowness of the large diameter of the short barrel..interesting!

Lens comes of course with it's original metal hood, optional RRS arca-swiss foot, front and rear Nikon caps, Nikon sling type shoulder padded case, original outer (not inner) Nikon cardboard box, and original Nikon instruction booklet describing the many optional functions of this lens.

Down the road when more funds exists hopefully, this will be the first Nikon lens I will re-acquire. Once you use it, almost all understand why its one of the most desirable of all Nikon lenses.

Price is $3849.00 net to me plus actual shipping/insurance costs. B&H's price is now $4899.00!

**** Since I am usually on my cell phone, answering PM's is very difficult from it. PLEASE e-mail me (instead of PM's) at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com. with any questions or purchases.

As reference, I've done many transactions here on Getdpi as well as all the other usual forums and 10 years on ebay with 1300 pure positives. Thanks!

Last edited:

D&A

Hi All,

NEW PRICE REDUCTION!

Probably last price reduction here before listing on big auction site at a higher price. A most amazing lens and nothing quite like it in DSLR and Nikon land, especially the way it's performs optically with all three of Nikon's latest teleconverters, especially the new TC-20 EIII wide open, making it a sensational and relatively compact 400mm f4 telephoto.

New price is $3695.00 net to me plus actual shipping/insurance costs to your destination.. THis may be the lowest priced AF 200 f2 lens around, when and if it can be found used. Details about this lens is posted above.

**** Since I am usually on my cell phone, answering PM's is very difficult from it. PLEASE e-mail me (instead of PM's) at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com. with any questions or purchases.

Thanks again!

Dave

D&A

"Gentle Bump", for a fantastic, fast and extremely versitle one of a kind lens (especially as described above).

Please note: Since I am usually on my cell phone, responding to PM's is very difficult from it. SO PLEASE e-mail me (instead of PM's) at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com. with any questions or purchases, although once back at a regular computer, its then possible to answer PM's. Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:

D&A

<bump>

*** Please note: Since I am usually on my cell phone, responding to PM's is very difficult from it. SO PLEASE e-mail me (instead of PM's) at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com. with any questions or purchases, although once back at a regular computer, its then possible to answer PM's. Thanks!

Dave