The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Leica 180mm f2.8 APO R

RDG

--Cuong,

Funny you mention Leica 180 apo -- do have the 3.4 with rom. Our home email was down over the weekend, sent the other item Friday and would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

RDG

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I looked for one of these for 6 months. I have one and its one of my favorite lenses on the DMR . The later ones can match with the 1.4X extender for a 250mm which is a almost a 350mm FOV in a compact package. I want one to convert to my Nikon s .

One of the big advantages is a superior focusing mount that allows for a short throw and finger tip focusing ......the older 3.4 produces stunning images but its optimized for infinity and has a long throw ..very slow to focus .....great for landscape not so great for action.

You might have better luck in europe with the euro down to $1.22.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I looked in europe and couldn t find any. Robert White in the UK and Sh_Photo in Germany. Camera West had one early this year but it would not take the 1.4X extender. Leica modified the lens after it was released and moved the rear element group forward so that the neck of the 1.4x could be fitted.

If you plan to use it on a Leica R body thats the version I would want. If however you plan to modify the mount for a Nikon,sony or pentax it will not matter . You can t change out the front mount of the 1.4x without a major probably not reversible change out. I checked with Leitax and they said people have asked about but no one had reported a success with the 1.4x and the 180apo ..its one or the other.

There is an old thread on the LUF that has the serial number of the revised lens if thats important.

There are some great tests of this lens on Diglloyd ..under his paid site DAP.

Thanks Roger. Do you know if there is optical differences between the APO version that accepts extender and the version that does not?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks Roger. Do you know if there is optical differences between the APO version that accepts extender and the version that does not?
I am not positive but the rear element group seems to be pulled forward....so optically they must be different. I would do some searches on the LUF . I have the newer version is superb but no knowledge good or bad about the prior.

Will S.

optics are exactly the same but mount was modified to accept the 1.4 extender and this was confirmed by leica