The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB: Leica 135mm Tele-Elmar 39mm filter version

charlesphoto

Want to buy a 60's-70's version of the 135mm Tele-elmar. These generally run in the $200-$400 range depending on version and condition. All I care about is good mechanics and glass, cosmetics not so much (as long as price reflects that).

NOT interested in APO, older elmars, hektors, or the 46mm last version of the tele-elmar.

M

Mango

I have all three versions of the Tele-Elmar and will be selling them (as well as a lot of other Leica lenses).

V1 = $350
V2 = $400
V3 (E46) = $1000

Let me know and I'll post more detailed photos.

I also have the dedicated hood that goes with the E39 lenses.

Best!

charlesphoto

Yeah, I'd be interested in V1 or 2. Probably V2 more so, even though it's at the top end of what I wanted to spend. What can you tell me about the condition of each? Or post photos.

Thanks,

Charles

M

Mango

Will do, I'll put up pics with descriptions later this evening.

M

Mango

Leica 135mm f4.0 Tele-Elmar v1 E39 and v2 E39

Both the lenses are in similar condition, so the description applies to either:

Condition:
- These lenses are in excellent condition. No dings, dents, or gashes anywhere on the lens body.
- Flawless glass (no marks whatsoever on the front and rear elements). Amazingly, no dust inside either.
- Lens bodies are in excellent shape, only marks are pinpoint brassing on the focus ring, where the finely knurled black edges have some pinpoint silvering of the black surfaces.
- Some of the painted lens markings have faded a bit, but are perfectly readable from afar.
- All the heads of the screws on the lenses are in new condition, so it looks as if nobody has fiddled with them.
- There is no jiggle or wiggle when you mount the lenses.
- The focus ring turns smoothly, neither loose, nor tight. Just the right amount of resistance for accurate focusing.
- The bayonet mounts are almost mint, there are a few light scratches here and there, from careless mounting, but not enough to prevent perfect and tight mounting of the lens for many years to come.
- There are a few very light marks on the front edges, where the hood is mounted, but that is to be expected.
- Lens is NOT 6-bit coded.
- Filter size = 39mm.
- Made in Germany.
- Works well on my M8s, no focus issues whatsoever.
- Any dust you see in the pictures is the result of my less than perfect digital photography.

Price:
- v1 = $350 net to me
- v2 = $400 net to me

Yes, the prices might be at your top end, but you will not find lenses in such good condition at lower prices, as you can see in the pictures below.

Comes With:
- Leica Front Cap
- Leica Rear Cap

Terms of Sale:
- Shipping (with full insurance) not included in price of gear. Shipping calculated based on buyer’s location and added to final cost.
- Payment by most means: cash, personal check (wait to clear), money order or bank check. Paypal accepted, please add 3% to cost.

Contact Information:
PhotAmateur [at] aol [dot] com

I have many references. Perfect (100%) e*ay record: ID = Sector262.

Thanks for looking!

Pictures Here:

Version 1:

Version 2:

Dedicated Hood 12575 (available for $75 extra, and also works on 90mm TE Thin with M8; only for sale if you buy a lens):

charlesphoto

Hi Mango,

Sorry, haven't had time to deal with this. Both look great. I can't decide which. Of course I've owned this lens before, but for the life of me can't remember which. How would you describe the focus handling between the two? I'm leaning towards the more modern ribbed one but not if you feel the scalloped better. This isn't a lens I would use a lot but it does come in handy now and then. I sold mine when I got an M8 and my film camera (.58) doesn't have 135 lines (sold a .85 M6TTL to fund M8). Now with an M9 feel I can use again.

Thanks,

Charles

M

Mango

If you're not going to use it much, then the first version is good enough. I find the scalloped focus ring easier to use. When I had the 90mm APO, I used a Lutz Steer, which made focusing a quick job.

The Lutz Steer is available at www.leicagoodies.com and they have many nifty inventions that can help a Leica M shooter.

I checked the dates of production and the V1 was made in 1969, and the V2 in 1971, not much of a difference.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/135mm_f/4_Tele-Elmar

There's no rush, so take your time to decide. If you don't buy, that's fine too.