The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS Schneider Variogon 140-280 f/5.6 PQ

irakly

I've been holding to this lens for as long as I could...
It is as close to mint as it gets. In fact, it never saw real daylight. I used it in a studio mainly for product work and beauty because of its 1:5 magnification feature and occasionally for portraiture when I needed a strong telephoto look.
Since I do not use Rollei anymore, it has been sitting on a shelf for almost four years. I am not a collector, and I truly believe that photo gear is to be used, not to just sit there. So, I'd rather see it in good hands than in my safe.
It can be yours for $3000 plus transaction fee if you choose paypal. Alternatively, you can buy the same thing at B&H for five grand :)
Unfortunately, no performance proofs, as I sold all 6008 bodies except one 6008i, which has no battery. So, you have to take my word for the fact that this lens is simply stunning at all focal lengths, apertures and distances.
Should you have any questions, please ask. You can call me at 313.510.2998. I am in the USA in July.

irakly

if i knew the way, i would not be selling it :)
theoretically it is possible, even with automatic aperture preserved. it will take a very skilled machinist to change the mount and someone who will be able to decipher contacts.
what is encouraging me is the fact that contax n optics can be fully adopted to canon by conurus. he maintains that rollei lenses are adoptable, and he can look into it, provided there is a demand for it.
in this thread he is talking about rollei to eos adaptor, but conversion to c645 should be easier. moreover, c645 body was developed with a central shutter lens in mind. another words, the body is capable of controlling the central shutter, it is just kyocera dumped contax before the lens was made.
http://support.conurus.com/viewtopic.php?t=164

D

dentkimterry

Does anyone know if this lens can be adapted to use on a Contax 645, with stop-down metering?

If so, I am very interested in this lens.
Can't you get the Hasselblad version of this lens? There was a Contax-Hasselblad adapter made by Contax I think. I think there are some after market adapters also. The 140-280 Hasselblad Variogon can be had for a good price these days!

Terry

irakly

it's a thought... the only problem with the hasselblad version is that there is not tripod mount on it. it's ok if you use it on the hasselblad-v, as its mount is designed to withstand so much weight, but neither rollei nor contax 645 mounts were meant to hold that much weight. of course, there is always a hand holding option :) :)

D

dentkimterry

The CF version of the Hasselblad Variogon has a tripod mount on it. They are kind of rare though. The C version had an accessory tripod mount you could purchase. It was not as sturdy though and hard to find now.

Terry

D

dentkimterry

I just thought of another issue with Contax 645 use. The tripod mount does not rotate on the CF lens. No need for it to as it was designed for 6x6 use!

Terry

irakly

The CF version of the Hasselblad Variogon has a tripod mount on it. They are kind of rare though. The C version had an accessory tripod mount you could purchase. It was not as sturdy though and hard to find now.

Terry
I used to shoot hassy 2000fcw and had a CF version of this lens. I can swear on my mother's grave that it did not have a tripod mount. The rollei version has a tripod mount built-in. It does not rotate and does not come off.