The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone Hasselblad digital back

Traut

I have a seldom used H5 phase one digital back for a Hasselblad 500 series. The back is complete with cables and view mask. $800 shipped in the US. Move up to digital MF for little investment!

Traut

Phase One H5 in mint condition. The is the BB03 H5 back. Complete with cable, mask, IB, case in PhaseOne box. REDUCED TO $700 net to me.

stevem_nj

Ok -magic words anyone?
Anyone have the magic wand to wave and know the magic words to use the h5 back?
I have yet to see it light up, or be recognized by 2 different PCs.
I received the back,
attached it to a hassy500,
plugged the short lead wire from the lens flash pc to the "C" port on the side of the H5,
purchased a new firewire (not in the package with the back)
registered with PhaseOne web and downloaded 3 different trial versions of the captureOne software. (no software in the package with the back)
installed into 2 different laptops (friends of mine, my desktop has no firewire port)
still dark and unrecognized by the PC.

what NEXT? (how did you test this? Traut)

signed -puzzled -Steve.

stevem_nj

is there a button or switch on the Back that is controlling this setting - - i look at it and have seen no buttons/switches except the blue button on the side that releases the back from the camera body and an unmarked rectangle button that is flush and pushes downward into the back.
I read the entire book that was sent with the back.

(no lights, no trap doors to put a battery and no CARD on this back - model bb03, If a cable is used to supply 12v the user manual never has that indication? left side ports labelled C, F, right side ports M, C.

mediumcool

Are you using a 6-pin FireWire cable? PCs are unpredictable in their FW support. Having said that, my 21.5" iMac does not seem to have enough power to run my Aptus 22 tethered, but my wee 13" MBP does fine.

stevem_nj

yes - - 6pin on camera back goes to the mini on the other end int the PC laptop - is that wrong ? (is the mini side missing power ports?) (PhaseOne back never lights up)

stevem_nj

yes i know it must be connected - - it has no battery and no memory card.
yes plugged the (new) firewire 6pin cable into the DBack, other end into the laptop (laptop is plugged into wall outlet power not battery power) - DBack is dark, no lights at all and plug in unplug plug in - no beeps either.
phase one (6.1) software is running before attempting any connections, does not recognize it is being connected.
going to assume firewire is not getting enough power from PC.
I followed the links to forum.phaseone.com and doesnt tell me how they get more power.
It is going to be a long weekend of this, i can tell.

stevem_nj

Re: Phaseone Hasselblad digital back - DARK so far.

mounted on camera, plugged in to lens "C" port, 6pin firewire end plugged into the DBack, other end was in a live/running/plugged in laptop, DBack is still dark and silent.
image here just to make me feel better, that i can get an image from my other camera.

keeps me smiling.

mediumcool

Laptop’s probably the problem. Almost certainly 4-pin. Do you have a FW-equipped desktop that you can test with?

Or ask a Mac friend to help. If using a recent Mac, you’d need a FW800-400 adapter cable or plug. Macs don’t do 4-pin.

eightfps

Seems to me that the H5 is not getting power from the laptop. The 4 pin connector does NOT provide power to the H5 back. You need separate firewire portable solution, or you can try a belkin firewire hub. I was planning on going this route, but found out that 6 pin to 4pin conversion is not possible. Need 6 pin to 6pin on PC, or mac pro, which seems to provide enough power 10W needed for the back to lit up..

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Since your laptop is not providing any power, you will need to use a FireWire power you will need a powered FireWire hub or a booster.
Lance

D&A

May I offer a suggestion. I didn't look to see what laptop you are using, but if it has a PCMCIA port, you could get an inexpensive Firewire PCMCIA card which usually contains a number of 6 pin firwire ports which carry power. Of course how much power your back needs to power it up is a figure I don't know...but if the PCMCIA firewire card doesn't supply enough power to the back, then most of these PCMCIA cards have a tiny jack on them, that allows you to plug in a AC adapter into the wall to increase ouput power. Sometimes the AC adapter is even included with the firewire PCMCIA card.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: