The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FA: Phase One P45+

PeterA

Hi, folks,

I just wanted to let you know that I've listed my P45+ up for auction at eBay. (I have decided to take the plunge and go Hy6.)

The auction is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330235428034&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123.

Please feel free to contact me through the auction or right here in this thread if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Brad

Well Brad - this is an ironic situation. I am just about to buy a P45+ ( new) and am therefore a natural buyer of your (as new P45+) ...LOL

However - this is the irony - I dont buy stuff from Ebay and never even look there..but I do buy stuff from people on THIS forum ( quite a lot actually)

So if you think that you KNOW what the top auction bid will be - OR - you know what my bid should be - knowing what I am about to buy and therefore teh pricing of it new..- YOU are in a PERFECT position to MAKE A MARKET!!

So if you tell me what you think is the best price for me to bid and that this price is also greater than you expect to be bid - but less than what I am going to pay..

then just set your price - I can then simply hit the bid or the offer. Dont you love making an opportunity from nothing? It s the best feeling! :)

Pete

gogopix

Subscriber
If there are no bids, and as Peter says, he doesn't use ebay, just close the auction and negotiate with Peter. He did not hear of it from ebay, but here. ANDS he doesnt do ebay. Therefore it is simply an alternative channel/.

If there is a bid, then you should honour your implied agreement with ebay

HOWEVER, if there are no bids above your reserve, just wait it out and THEN negotiate.

In the meantime Peter may have bougjht onbe so...

Ebay is a business, but right now, so are you.

gogopix

Subscriber
OMG! there are 12 bids, and NO RESERVE?

Peter, go for it!

regards to both of you and good luck

Victor

PeterA

Well guys I was just trying to make the point ( politely) and with some logic behind it.

gogopix

Subscriber
Not everyone. I am likely sticking to my Contax 645 and P45+. The Hy6 looks quite large (compared to Contax) and seems more a strick studio camera.

My Contax, by comparison, I find MORE convenient when I am town or trekking the european hills (3-6,000 meter hills :) than even my R9/DMR!

After a few considerations, I'm not sure I am even going to bother renting to test. David K here has some images but I can't get anyone to comment on handling. David said he would NOT walk around with the beast!

Victor

PS: The C645/P45+ and C glass are fantastic. My only reason for looking was to get access to HB H or Rollei glass. I have not seen anything better, and rarely as good. So I stick with my C and C and HB V glass.
I also am interested in the Sinar back, that I may get for interior (catherdral etc) work on the road where there does seem to be a 1-2 stop advantage over the P45+
But, we'll see. A lot looks like processing, nit inherently lower noise sensor.

BradleyGibson

Wow, take off to do some mountaineering for a day and look at this! Such a lively thread!

Let me address the comments in order:

PeterA: I can understand your position with respect to eBay. But I have found that putting the item up for auction on the global market consistently fetches excellent pricing. Furthermore, I haven't seen this kit (new back & used accessories) priced on eBay, so I have no way of figuring out the 'market' price. I'm sorry our buying & selling strategies aren't better lined up--but you do have other options:

* In the 60-odd items I've sold through eBay, I've also had one buyer ask to go through an escrow service before--he paid the escrow fees but was happy with the peace of mind (and very satisfied with the lens I sold him). No problem with doing this again, if it helps.
* subtract the price of a Seattle visit from your maximum bid, and see it in person once you've won. As outlined in my auction, you needn't take it if it isn't exactly as described.
* you also have my dealer information, and are welcome to talk with them about me or this item.
* Murray Elliot is my Phase One rep (out of Colorado), and he can also answer many questions you may have.

gogopix Even with the ~5.5% commission I'll lose to eBay/PayPal, on the whole, I've found that a good, clear no reserve auction does better than the average board pricing I've seen. Sometimes not, but on average it does pretty well.

Chuck PLEASE check your facts before making or even hinting accusations. True, only two postings here, but my arrival here had nothing to do with (and pre-dates) selling my back. This seems like a good forum--I can assure you that you'll hear more from me in the MF forum when I have something of value to contribute to a supportive and vibrant MF community. It's not hard to find me online--you can find photography-related postings going back more than 10 years (I use the same handle everywhere I post, and it's my real name), and never have I joined a community just to sell a piece of kit.

DavidK Yeah--me neither! :)

Yatlee I can't say the Hy6 is for everyone, as I don't know what kind of shooting you do. I'm a nature photographer, and love both the glass and the ergonomics of the Hy6. It's a pricey platform, but definitely worth looking into if you are thinking about it. The ergonomics can strike one as a bit odd at first glance, but I found myself quickly growing accustomed to them.

gogopix Yup, agreed. Although the Hy6 only weighs ~900g, the Contax glass is much lighter, I'll still argue that the P45+'s image quality is superior, on the whole, to my eye (and I have the eMotion75LV that I'll be using on the Hy6), and so on. There are a lot of factors and for everyone the 'best' solution will depend on them.

Take care,
Brad

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Brad... No question about ebay providing the best exposure for your sale. The downside is the number of flakes that come out of the woodwork especially on high priced items. I put both my Aptus 75S and Noctilux on ebay (after posting here first) and wound up selling them both to members of this forum. Good luck with the sale and it would be great to hear your opinions on the Hy6 kit over on the MF forum.