The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this a fair deal?

SYGTAFOTO

Hi,

I'm very interested in trying out medium format but I have no idea whether this is a fair value or not. I saw one for sale in local CL and I would like to know whether this is a fair deal.

MAMIYA AFD 645 MEDIUM FORMAT
MAMIYA 80MM F2.8 AF
MAMIYA 55MM MF
MAMIYA 24MM FISH EYE F.4.0 MF
MAMIYA ZOOM LENS 105-210MM
HASSELBLAD DIGITAL BACK IMACON 96C 16MPX RERSELOTION
IMAGE BANK.(YOU DONT NEED ANY CF CARD)YOU CAN SAVA ALL YOUR PHOTOS ON PORTABLE HARD DRIVE.
MAMIYA FILM MAGAZIN BACK

All above for $2900 USD... does that sound about right??
I'm not sure if this kind of post is allowed here, but after doing some research, I still don't have a clue on the above equipment in used condition!

thanks.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It sounds like a pretty reasonable deal.

That 24 f/4 is one hunk of a lens btw so you'd best try before you buy if I were you. It's certainly not cutting edge equipment but hence the price. I'd be very careful about checking the condition of the digital back because it will cost a fortune to fix. (I know this from my own experiences with a couple of used Kodak DCS645M backs a number of years ago - it was actually cheaper for me to buy the 2nd back used than to get the logic board fixed on one of them when the firewire port fried).

fotografz

It's a fair deal if it all works well. Trick is knowing what to look for, and how to test it.

I believe you will have to use a PC cord from the camera to the back. Make sure the proper one is included, and then buy 2 more because they like to fail frequently.

Be aware: The Image Bank is the first type and quite large. Just be aware of this because portable shooting can be a PITA compared to shooting to a CF card. If The Image Bank goes on you (as all HDs eventually do), you are screwed as they are hard to find in good working order.

We are all friends here, so we try to be honest ... and honestly, I'd skip this if I were you.

I'd keep saving up, and keep your eye peeled for a good deal on a bit more modern kit that shoots to CFs ... which are beginning to show up more and more at bargain prices as the MFD world keeps moving on.

Otherwise, just get it and be sure to have a reasonable time to test it and return it if it is not your cup of tea.

-Marc

SYGTAFOTO

thanks for all your replies.

Because I'm a noob in medium format, I'm going to listen to fotografz and research more while saving up a bit more for a new newer version.. $3000 is a bit much to invest on something I know little about.

thanks.