The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Angenieux Retrofocus 14.5mm Wide Angle for Micro 4/3 - Arri - 35mm Format

Andreus

This awesome 14.5mm prime lens by Angenieux is called the "Stanley Kubrick lens" because he loved the 14mm focal length and used it extensively in The Shining. This is a WIDE ANGLE CINEMA lens that will cover 35mm motion picture format, as well as super16, and smaller.

It is one of the rare wide angle lenses that fully covers the 4/3 sensor, and when mounted on the GH1 or other micro 4/3 camera delivers stunning wide angle images. I can send pictures / .MTS files of lens in use to show optical quality (gorgeous bokeh, extremely sharp and clear optics, beautiful cinematic flares etc).

The lens does have some problems: firstly, the metal focus wing is missing one of 2 screws that lock it to the barrel, which makes it hard to turn the focus. The focus also seems a touch stiff to me, but I think it's just within the range of usability for a wide angle lens that doesn't need to be follow focused anyway. It may be worth CLA'ing.

Also, the front elements has a few scratches on it. None of these scratches affect picture quality in any way and I can send extensive sample shots from the lens to show it.

This is a very rare and beautiful lens for professional filmmaking and one in worse condition sold on eBay recently for over $800+. I am taking offers or trades for another lens or two. I'm interested in the Olympus 9-18mm or Panasonic 7-14mm (can't decide, like the wider Panasonic but like the idea of using filters on the Olympus. Would also consider a different piece of cinema or still glass -- either a nice zoom lens (35mm cine preferable, i.e Angenieux 35-140 or 25-250) or a wider prime lens, even a fisheye. Also ultra-fast lenses (<f/1) considered. I primarily shoot short narrative films on Micro 4/3 and am an appreciator of great vintage cinema glass (and newer digital stuff too.) So let me know what you have!

Located in Los Angeles, CA. Thanks for reading.

Andreus

I'm using an Arri Standard -> C mount adapter and then C -> M4/3 (it's not a great setup, can't get infinity focus on any arri lens with it). If you're buying an adapter, definitely buy a direct Arri -> m4/3 one.

gambaphoto

I would love to see some photos taken with this lens from your m4/3. I have a GF1 and I have been looking for a lens that would have the coverage for this camera. Please feel free to send them to my email address or if you have them posted just send along the link.
Thanks for your help.
Paul