The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Leica R 28mm elmarit (Germany), adapted to SONY

mjm6

Folks,

I have this Leica elmarit 28mm lens for sale. I've always preferred the 24mm focal length, but I got this lens... well, It's a long story. Anyway, I now have a 24mm, so this one is unneeded.

I have removed the rear mount, and replaced it with the Leitax Sony mount, and the chip so it will communicate with the camera properly (cost about $120 for the adapter and chip). The old Leica mount is still here, and I will send it along in case you wish to remove the Sony mount and use it on another body with an adapter. It's not a big deal to swap the mounts; see the Leitax site for some photos.

Anyway, this one is the Type 2 version, that uses the Series 7 filters. This is not a real big problem, because some people use the lens hood as a filter holder and put a 49mm filter (I think that's what they use) in unthreaded, and the hood holds it there.

I don't bother with protective filters on lenses with hoods this deep... it's unnecessary unless you are shooting in surf or real dusty conditions.

This lens is made in Germany.

Included is the front (leica) lens cap, the dedicated hood, a rear cap for the lens (Minolta) and the old Leica mount with a Leica rear cap.

You can see the Sony mount in the last photo. I didn't take any photos with the old Leica mount, but I will include it.

Optically, this lens is in near-fine condition. On close inspection you can see a mark in the front coating in the third photo that looks like a watermark. It does not clean off with a normal wet clean. No scratches or anything to speak of. It's a great performer, and if I did like this focal length, I would definitely keep this one for sure.

I'd like to get $550 for the lens INCLUDING SHIPPING AND PP in the US. other countries, there will be some additional shipping. That's a little higher than you may find some in the same condition, but you won't find any with the Sony mount for this price.

Please email or PM me if you are interested.

---Michael

mjm6

I got a request for some sample images, so I pulled a few from a trip last fall...

There are all downrezzed to a reasonable size, but they give an ides of the rendering and performance of the lens.

All taken with an a900 camera (love it, by the way).

This one is a 5 frame pano stich (if I recall correctly, I'm not near the computer with LR on it to check the number of frames).

Here is a single frame from the stitch:

And a crop at full resolution from that frame. The lens renders especially nice with little or no folor fringing. This shot was a balance between near/far on the focus, so it is probably not as absolutely sharp as it could ideally be if I shot at f5.6 and focused exclusively on the palm tree. This show was probably made at about f11 or f16 for depth of field reasons. (The exif is not correct with adapted lenses for f-stop.)

One last image, looking into the sun:

I need to find a host for some full resolution files. If anyone can tell me a good host, I'll upload some and provide a link.

---Michael

mjm6

No interest?

I'll drop the price to $500. I'll leave it here with that price for a day before I reduce it over at FM.

If I didn't prefer the 24mm, there's no way I'd sell this lens... it's lovely.

---Michael