The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FS: Zeiss 18mm f4 Zm Lens...New in Box!

D&A

Hi All,

Once again, I'm rearranging some of my lenses and impossible to keep all the good stuff (unless I win the lottery in the next week or so :)

This is New, one owner (me), Zeiss 18mm f4 ZM (hand coded) which is boxed with paperwork/hood/and front and rear lens caps. It has been mounted a couple times to test against the Leica 18mm and then returned to it's box..so it's essentially new and shows no signs of use or wear of any kind. A simply amazing sample and fantastic performing 18mm lens.

When all factors are taken into account....size, relative speed, performance, price and extreme low distortion, especially compared to the Leica 18mm and it's complex distortion with certain straight line subjects, the Zeiss 18mm lens is an exceptional ultra wide angle lens. Below are additional comments about both the low distortion and "NO" red edge issues on the M9!

Besides essentially new, it goes without saying that all glass inside and out is pristine, no oil on blades and all controls smooth. Same for original hood and front and rear caps.

I extensively compared the Zeiss with the Leica 18mm before deciding. Resolution and contrast were neck and neck across the entire frame with both lenses...but it's was the relative low distortion of the Zeiss (besides price), that won me over. It wasn't even close and many who shoot subjects with straight lines have appreciated the performance of the Zeiss for this very reason!

The lens brings up the 28/90 framelines and a single tiny hand coded line on the rear mount, codes it as a Leica 21mm f2.8 pre-asph....which has been a perfect coding to eliminate virtually all traces of red-edge with the M9! One can also set the M9 menu if they prefer to the Leica 21mm f2.8 pre-asph, if they so desire. With the M8, I coded it as a WATE and of course no red edge seen either.

Combine the low distortion and no red edge (with the cameras I tested it with) and it's winning combination.

***The lens also takes regular 58mm filters, making use of filters a dream, compared to the Leica.

Price is $950.00 plus shipping/insurance costs (all net to me).

***I also have both the Leica 24mm f2.8 Elmarit-M lens (Silver) and New Leica 18mm viewfinder that has framelines for 24mm too! All three (Leica 24mm f2.8, Zeiss 18mm f4 and Leica 18mm/24mm viewfinder) make a great high performance kit!

As reference, I've done many transactions (brought and sold) here on Getdpi as well as all the other usual forums and each one was a pleasure. I've also been on ebay for 10 years with 1300 pure positives!

*** Please note: Since I am usually on my cell phone, responding to PM's is very difficult from it. SO PLEASE e-mail me (instead of PM's) at IRGdme "at" AOL "dot" Com. with any questions or purchases, although once back at a regular computer, its then possible to answer PM's.

Thanks for Looking!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that this Zeiss 18mm lens has now been sold. Thanks all for your interest.

*** My LN Leica 21mm f2.8 Elmarit-M Silver (boxed) is still available for sale as is the Leica 18mm/24mm finder (Boxed and new). Please see my other seperate FS listings for the details of these items.

Thanks!

Dave (D&A)